• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sandals and men

Alessandro67

Reaction score
I am new here; this is my first post and thread. I decided to chime in after seeing some pictures at the Sartorialist website; specifically the recent Louis Vuitton photo shoot. One picture struck me for the revolting reaction it provoked in me; a man in pants, a scraf and balzer wearing the ugliest sandals this side of a birkenstock. I admit, I abhor men's sandals, open toe shoes, flip flops beyond the confines of the beach; I also do not favor shorts in the city. My question is why do I have such strong reactions and is it only me? I am neapolitan, transplanted in Canada, but I've been influenced too much by my city and its style (if not its garbage) and I never saw men in sandals in the streets - even the sockless thing is really a summer practice with certain type of mocassins (not lace shoes - never lace shoes). I like mixing colors and fabrics and decent shoes; but I'm interested in exploring my hatred for sandals on men (on women, I like a nice heel or even shallow sandal or a nice pair of flip flops, highlighting an elegant and pedicured foot). Shall we discuss?

kev777

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Real men dont wear sandals unless theyre at the beach or at the leisure centre (avoiding verrucas from the great unwashed).

Real men also dont eat quiche !!

V

vfcghghkv

Unless your on the beach walking on hot sand, I hate when guys where sandals, nice button up shirt, nice jeans, nice watch, sandals wtf.

howbah

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kev777

I never understood that one. It's cheese, egg & bacon pie, what's the problem?

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Beach, pool or gym shower.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
Ive never owned a pair of sandals, and i never will. Its a proven science, once you see a mans feet, you trust him 29% less. science. done by scientists in white lab coats. at MIT. this is true. so keep your ugly feet covered.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gort
So what do you do at the beach?

im in nashville. no such thing as a beach. and when i was in florida, i spent my time at the bar in deck shoes. The ONLY acceptable place for a guy to wear sandals is at the beach. There is NO excuse for a man to wear flip flops with jeans and a button up to a bar. which is what happens here all the time.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alessandro67
I never saw men in sandals in the streets - even the sockless

You've never seen a monk?

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DerekS
im in nashville. no such thing as a beach. and when i was in florida, i spent my time at the bar in deck shoes. The ONLY acceptable place for a guy to wear sandals is at the beach. There is NO excuse for a man to wear flip flops with jeans and a button up to a bar. which is what happens here all the time.

I agree. It's like deck shoes who would wear them off a boat? Why don't these sandal wears get it?

stinsonbass

Reaction score
Sandals (for men) always have been and always will be... ugly! (my opinion)
wink.gif

V

vfcghghkv

Originally Posted by DerekS
Ive never owned a pair of sandals, and i never will. Its a proven science, once you see a mans feet, you trust him 29% less. science. done by scientists in white lab coats. at MIT. this is true. so keep your ugly feet covered.

lol source?

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kev777
Real men dont wear sandals unless theyre at the beach or at the leisure centre (avoiding verrucas from the great unwashed).

Or call football soccer...

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nicola
I agree. It's like deck shoes who would wear them off a boat? Why don't these sandal wears get it?

wink.gif
good one.

but deck shoes cover your feet. There is no reason to wear sandals off of the beach. nobody wants to see yer nasty feet nicola.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I live in LA, so flip-flops are all around me. I sometimes, very rarely wear my dark brown all-leather Polo flip-flops with white linen pants and a rolled-up pink or light-blue shirt to a lazy lunch or something like that. Looks good, imo.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads