• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sancanali?

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's a beautiful suit on sale right now at a local men's store that specializes in Italian fashion. The suit label says SANCANALI, but I can't find any references to that suitmaker anywhere on the Web. Making matters worse, I'm generally suspicious of brand names that are very similar to high end brand names, such as, in this case, Canali.

Anybody here know anything at all about SANCANALI suits?

jefferyd

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Sancanal is a label used by a factory group in China.

sloane3

Reaction score
I guess they're without Canali, sort of.

Jeffery, what about CANALSt suits?

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jefferyd
Sancanal is a label used by a factory group in China.
I'll have to go back and look again, but it's certainly possible that I misread Sancanal as Sancanali. If true, that would be a big disappointment to me because the shop in question takes great pride in its Italian roots, and although no one there came right out and said so directly, they strongly convey the impression that they only sell clothing from Italy's finest makers.

I won't swear to it, but I thought a label on the inside of the Sancanal jacket's collar said "Made in Italy." Is it possible that the suit was made in Italy but out of fabric that was woven in China? Or was I being misled into believing that this was an Italian suit?

jefferyd

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sloane3

Jeffery, what about CANALSt suits?

I don't know of these.

Originally Posted by Threadbearer

I won't swear to it, but I thought a label on the inside of the Sancanal jacket's collar said "Made in Italy." Is it possible that the suit was made in Italy but out of fabric that was woven in China? Or was I being misled into believing that this was an Italian suit?

I visited the factory about 7 years ago- Heilan Group or something. Their buildings are a replica of Saint Peter's square, IIRC. At midnight the phone in hotel room (owned by the factory group) would ring and a female voice would proclaim Massaggee massagee, I wove you! A service provided by the factory, apparently. But I digress.

Although I have seen Made In Italy labels being sewn into the neck of garments which were shipped to Italy to have the buttons sewn on and then reshipped to the States (this is known as trans-shipment and is illegal but not uncommon), it is more likely you saw a label that said something to the effect of 'styled in Italy', which is common on Chinese garments.

The law states that a label be permanently affixed to the neck of the garment stating its country of origin and that it be clearly visible on the hanger; I have seen some garments being prepared with two hanger loops- one stating Made in China and another below it stating Styled In Italy- when the garments have cleared customs the Made In China is removed. Check the garment carefully.

Of course, there is a very small chance that Heilan is now manufacturing in Italy or that an Italian is using the Sancanal label but I would be very surprised.

Do keep us posted on this.

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went back to my local Italian men's shop this morning and took a closer look at the suit in question. The collar label says "Made in Italy," and the label on the inside pocket says "SANCANALI, Italy," not SANCANAL.

The salesman told me he wasn't surprised that I couldn't find any mention of that label on the Web because it's a very small factory in Italy. He told me that the suit is half-canvassed and mostly machine-made, which is why his store is selling it for only $650 -- now on sale for $500. (Most of the suits in that store are fully-canvassed and are either hand-made or at least hand-finished. And they start at a little over $1000.)

I actually like the SANCANALI suit quite a lot. It fits well, the color is very good on me, and it's made of comfy Super 120 wool. I just don't know if it's worth $500, and I don't really know how to find that out.

I suppose I could go back next week and offer them $400 for it, but that would just tip them off that I'm probably willing to pay $500. It would be the third time I've come calling on that suit, and they already know I'm hot for it.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Threadbearer
I went back to my local Italian men's shop this morning and took a closer look at the suit in question. The collar label says "Made in Italy," and the label on the inside pocket says "SANCANALI, Italy," not SANCANAL.

The salesman told me he wasn't surprised that I couldn't find any mention of that label on the Web because it's a very small factory in Italy. He told me that the suit is half-canvassed and mostly machine-made, which is why his store is selling it for only $650 -- now on sale for $500. (Most of the suits in that store are fully-canvassed and are either hand-made or at least hand-finished. And they start at a little over $1000.)

I actually like the SANCANALI suit quite a lot. It fits well, the color is very good on me, and it's made of comfy Super 120 wool. I just don't know if it's worth $500, and I don't really know how to find that out.

I suppose I could go back next week and offer them $400 for it, but that would just tip them off that I'm probably willing to pay $500. It would be the third time I've come calling on that suit, and they already know I'm hot for it.

For $500, get a known product. You can get RL Blue Label (canali ) pretty easily at that price or wait for one of the RLPL sales at the outlets. Italy has a lot of wonderful factories that produce for a lot of people, they also have a lot of crap factories that make garments no better than those made in China. As an aside, I saw some very nicely made Arny's suits, great fabric and all, that were made in China. What size are you, I have a NWT suit or two lying around.

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
For $500, get a known product.
But this is a SWEEEET looking suit, and it's rather unusual, too. Its fabric is a cross between a herringbone and a stripe, and the suit is cut with a large drop. I haven't seen either of those characteristics among the "known products," at least not for $500.

What size are you, I have a NWT suit or two lying around.
I'm one of those awkward in-betweeners. Depending on the maker, I wear a 41L, 42R, or 42L. I measure 42" at the chest and 33" at the waist. I'm just shy of being 6'-1" tall.

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bump.

Any other opinions regarding the suit described in my third post above? Anybody know ANYTHING at all about Sancanali?

lpresq

Reaction score
Just buy the damn suit....judging from your posts, it seems you will regret it if you don't buy it.

Toiletduck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jefferyd
At midnight the phone in hotel room (owned by the factory group) would ring and a female voice would proclaim Massaggee massagee, I wove you! A service provided by the factory, apparently. But I digress.

This deserves its own thread
smile.gif

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lpresq
Just buy the damn suit....judging from your posts, it seems you will regret it if you don't buy it.
I know, I know. But I'm scared.

Somebody hold me!

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
As an aside, I saw some very nicely made Arny's suits, great fabric and all, that were made in China. What size are you, I have a NWT suit or two lying around.

I'll take the Arny's labeled suits. After all I'm rnoldh.

Can I trade you a couple of SanKiton and Sanbrioni suits that I have in your size? 40R, right?

To the OP. I agree that you should spend some time on this board and you'll find you can do much better with another suit than $500 for a Sancanali.

lizmasc

Reaction score
Sancanal, Sancanali are very close words. I haven't heard of neither but not sancanal seems like one of those fake engrish imitations.

And by the way, buy it if you can afford it, we don't want you to come here regreting that someone else took it
smile.gif
smiley2.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads