• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

San Fransico/San Jose/Monterey trip.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
Shake's are great but as a long time In-N-Out'er (pun intended?), I've never been huge about the fries. Too dry for my tastes. The key to their burgers is simplicity, freshness, and quality.

What's Red Mill?

Its (by far) the best Burger and onion rings in Seattle (bacon deluxue w/cheese, onion rings w/ranch and a large coke = $9.73 with tax)

Its number 17 on the GQ "20 Hamburgers to eat before you die" list. And still the best bacon cheeseburger I've ever had.

It doesn't really compare to In-N-Out, like I said, I-N-O is much closer to Dick's than anything else, but Red Mill is the standard by which all other burgers in my mind are judged until I have something better.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Damn...thanks for telling me. The only thing I can think of when passing through Seattle is a bowl of red chowder and basket of salmon n' chips from Ivar's.

Guess I'll have to add Red Mill to my list.

BTW, I think the fact that you know the exact total of that order says a lot. Seriously, see a cardiologist.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
It was great to meet J and Slim. They found nothing good in Santa Cruz's three thrift stores, alas. Sorry about that. They seemed more at home in my home town than I ever did, which I suppose is not surprising.

Full Canvas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
It was great to meet J and Slim. They found nothing good in Santa Cruz's three thrift stores, alas. Sorry about that. They seemed more at home in my home town than I ever did, which I suppose is not surprising.

What a difference a generation makes!

Santa Cruz's counter culture was always seething just below the surface in my experience. Maybe it was not until after your departure that the not so hidden became the primary visual.

I left my birth town of Santa Cruz in the late 1960s. Each subsequent return was more and more disquieting for me. Perhaps my dynamic nature simply wished for some static anchorage? Sadly and certainly, it was not to be found in Santa Cruz.

With the boiling-over of the aforementioned counter culture now pretty much complete, it is no wonder that that the Two Gentlemen from Seattle were so at home. Today's Santa Cruz and Seattle share many similarities. My fond memories of Santa Cruz are just that: fond memories. Heraclitus was correct; "You cannot step into the same river twice."

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Full Canvas
Santa Cruz’s counter culture was always seething just below the surface in my experience ... I left my birth town of Santa Cruz in the late 1960s.
The U.C. campus opened in 1967. This is not a coincidence. Before that, Santa Cruz had two industries: fishing and tourism. The fisherman were almost all Italians, with a few Portugese. The tourists were working class Italians (mostly) from SF and Italian grocers and farmers from the Central Valley. Some Irish and others, but all Catholic. Rich people went to Monterey and the Hotel Del Monte. REALLY rich people had second homes in Pebble Beach.

The University changed all that. Brought in, ummmm, vitality.

Full Canvas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
The U.C. campus opened in 1967. This is not a coincidence. Before that, Santa Cruz had two industries: fishing and tourism. The fisherman were almost all Italians, with a few Portugese. The tourists were working class Italians (mostly) from SF and Italian grocers and farmers from the Central Valley. Some Irish and others, but all Catholic. Rich people went to Monterey and the Hotel Del Monte. REALLY rich people had second homes in Pebble Beach.

The University changed all that. Brought in, ummmm, vitality.

Yes. As teens, we attended the (then) relatively unknown races at Laguna Seca and the Concours d'Elegance each year at Del Monte Lodge. That was long before Del Monte sold it. Now, one simply stays at The Lodge at Pebble Beach.

I have to laugh. Your remarks about the opening of UC Santa Cruz and its mark of "vitality" only serve to remind me of another irony. I departed Santa Cruz for San Diego. Shortly after my arrival in La Jolla, UC San Diego was making a similar mark on the formerly sleepy La Jolla. I could run; but, I couldn't hide.

It sounds like a parade; but it is just time marching onward.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
Long live the banana slugs!

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
They've got something similar called Nations only with less mustard and relish.

They have fatburger in Seattle. It's relatively good, but it's also no Red Mill. I'm the only one I know who eats it with the egg on it.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
They have fatburger in Seattle. It's relatively good, but it's also no Red Mill. I'm the only one I know who eats it with the egg on it.
Is there a 20 min wait for your burger regardless of the size of the line? Every Fatburger in SoCal's that way. Makes the drive-thru a joke.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Thanks, J is out and about with mnemonic at a "mall". I didn't really relish the idea of walking around a mall the night before Christmas with no money.
smile.gif

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Is there a 20 min wait for your burger regardless of the size of the line?

Every Fatburger in SoCal's that way. Makes the drive-thru a joke.

Yeah, its pretty much that way, they never start cooking it until you order, and they are pretty slow.

smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads