• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

San Francisco...

johninla

Reaction score
I'm going to S.F. next weekend. I haven't been there in four or five years. Could someone offer some shopping and eating suggestions?
Thank you,
John

Shoe-nut

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Will
Shopping in San Francisco leaves much to be desired but then I'm prejudiced because I live here.

It couldn't be much worse than LA.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Shoe-nut
It couldn't be much worse than LA.
I think LA has a Barneys and a Lobb store.

S.F. has the predictable designer stores, department stores, and a Wilkes Bashford. Rather unadventurous given the liberal attitudes of the city.

There's a good architecture/art bookstore however.

Shoe-nut

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing

I am aware of the Barneys but not Lobb (at Hermes I assume). In the past when I have gone to Bevery Hills represenative brands of good shoes were in very short supply. Sometimes only one model of a particular brand not what I would call a good selection. Last year when I was at the Brooks Bros Store they had about the biggest selection.

I am not including all these designer shoes that are all over the place and are way too far out for me to wear.

PITAronin

Reaction score
Since no one has yet weighed in on your request re: dining recommendations, I'll offer a few suggestions. Not sure where in the city you'll be or what your tastes are, so it may well be that none of these will work for you. But

Either Boulevard or One Market located where Mission butts into the Embarcadero were fine by me for upscale dining when I was in SF last April.

A really nice Afghan place called Helmand on a funky part of Broadway/North Beach was great for a lunch buffet. (There's a baked sweet potato/yogurt casserole thing that I've forgotten the name of, but it's a don't miss.)

L'Osteria del Forno (Columbus/North Beach) had good Italian.

Finally - second hand recommendation from a friend who tries to come over to the city at least once a month to try different restaurants - I've heard good things about Limon in the Mission District (South American seafood specialties)

Holstein Bilter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by PITAronin
Since no one has yet weighed in on your request re: dining recommendations, I'll offer a few suggestions. Not sure where in the city you'll be or what your tastes are, so it may well be that none of these will work for you. But

Either Boulevard or One Market located where Mission butts into the Embarcadero were fine by me for upscale dining when I was in SF last April.

A really nice Afghan place called Helmand on a funky part of Broadway/North Beach was great for a lunch buffet. (There's a baked sweet potato/yogurt casserole thing that I've forgotten the name of, but it's a don't miss.)

L'Osteria del Forno (Columbus/North Beach) had good Italian.

Finally - second hand recommendation from a friend who tries to come over to the city at least once a month to try different restaurants - I've heard good things about Limon in the Mission District (South American seafood specialties)

Aside from the AFghan, sounds like suggestions steer clearly away from Mexican, Chinese, Japanese, foods...

johninla

Reaction score
we're staying near market. so, those dining suggestions are perfect. thank you.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Here's a few more suggestions if you are staying, working downtown:

Emporio Armani Cafe
Good Napoli style pizza inside a former historic bank building.

Zuni Cafe
Classic California cuisine. Mid-Market. Great food, casual-chic atmosphere.

Saks Mens store
William Stout Books
Wilkes-Bashford
Borrelli store
Marc Jacobs store

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing

Lobbs are in the NM in both cities, but LA has T&A with a nice selection of C&J.

Be sure to check out the Ferry Building at the end of Market --- it's a full of fun, delicious, yuppie food stores. Slanted Door has interesting Vietnamese-Asian-California fusion food, there's a pretty good taco place, and the Acme bread company makes nice bread.

--Andre

ranchsooner

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Parker
Here's a few more suggestions if you are staying, working downtown:

Emporio Armani Cafe
Good Napoli style pizza inside a former historic bank building.

Zuni Cafe
Classic California cuisine. Mid-Market. Great food, casual-chic atmosphere.

Saks Mens store
William Stout Books
Wilkes-Bashford
Borrelli store
Marc Jacobs store

+1 on the pizza recommendation. It was great

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There is also Cable Car Clothiers for a rather crusty sort of store that sells over-priced Kent brushes. They may be the only store in the Bay Area that does though.

Pink22m

Reaction score

S.F. has the predictable designer stores, department stores, and a Wilkes Bashford. Rather unadventurous given the liberal attitudes of the city.

There's a good architecture/art bookstore however.
What bookstore LK? Do they have a prodigious selection of books on Renaissance and Baroque architecture?

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pink22m
What bookstore LK? Do they have a prodigious selection of books on Renaissance and Baroque architecture?
It's William Stout Architectual Books on 804 Montgomery St. I believe they do have an extensive selection on the Renaissance and the Baroque. They also have a nice collection on modernist and contemporary.

maomao1980

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Off 880, exit Thornton ave in Fremont, heading east there is a tiny Chinese Korean restaurant opposite the elementary school--the best stir fried noodles I have had any where. Order the "shanghai thick fried noodles" off the menu and listen to the chief in the back bang the flour on the table continuously, making the most chewy, thick, and energetic noodle you'll have anywhere in the world.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads