• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

San Francisco to Seattle: Anybody ever driven it?

Eustace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was thinking about visiting SF, then renting a car and driving to Napa and then up to Oregon wine country and Portland, and from there to Seattle and Victoria Island, probably over the course of 10 days or so. Has anybody ever done this? It's a long drive but I figured that the Oregon coastline would be pretty amazing and I've never been north of SF. Any ideas would be appreciated.

hossoso

Coward and P*ssy
Reaction score
I have driven that many, many times. What exactly would you like to know?

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i've driven a LOT from SF to the Oregon border. happy to help with recs if necessary.

Eustace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where would you stop between Napa and Portland? Have you driven the coast (101 I believe) or just the 5?

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eustace
Where would you stop between Napa and Portland? Have you driven the coast (101 I believe) or just the 5?
mostly the 101. that's pretty. the 5 is pretty drab.
heading out of SF, you'll go through Sonoma. Iif you want, at petaluma you can cross to the coast and follow the 1 all the way up to mendocino. awesome drive, really beautiful. Stop in Tomales Bay at Marshall store for oysters. Mendocino is really pretty. in fact, if you take the 101 up, you might even go across on 128 for a quick visit. 128 is one of the great driving roads in Cali, i think. you'll go up through Yorkville Highlands, through Boonville, and then hit theAnderson Valley. Definitely stop at Roederer and at Navarro tasting rooms. Not a whole lot to eat in the town of Mendocino, but i do like cafe Beaujolais if you want pricey, or silver's in noyo harbor for cheaper but still good crab. you'll want to get back to the 101 from there and it's a pretty drive, but nothing to do until you hit Eureka/Arcata (Humboldt County ... you can probably figure out what to do there). seriously, beautiful area, i usually eat at Laruppin. There's also a little diner called Seascape in patrick's point that's right on the water. go for breakfast. from there, you're about an hour of nothing but great views up to Oregon. really a nice drive all the way up.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hossoso
I have driven that many, many times. What exactly would you like to know?
Why didn't you visit me, Hoss?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Done it by boat. That is fun.

hossoso

Coward and P*ssy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Why didn't you visit me, Hoss?

I will, next time and I will drive you to Houston, I have found your Victorian taxidermy.

Originally Posted by Connemara
He only pals around with the common folk.

Gross.

Originally Posted by Manton
Done it by boat. That is fun.

I may be of service. I can sail anything--like nobody's business (I mean that very seriously). I may even be able to upgrade you in a cove that has no eyes on it. Any interest in taking over the Comoros?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
My father's boat is currently in Seattle somewhere. (I have not visited him there; I was supposed to go in April but it fell through.) When he brings it down I am going to hitch a ride. If I can spare the time I will take it all the way to San Diego. My favorite thing to do in life is to sail from SF to SD hitting every harbor along the way.

Eustace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by foodguy
mostly the 101. that's pretty. the 5 is pretty drab.
heading out of SF, you'll go through Sonoma. Iif you want, at petaluma you can cross to the coast and follow the 1 all the way up to mendocino. awesome drive, really beautiful. Stop in Tomales Bay at Marshall store for oysters. Mendocino is really pretty. in fact, if you take the 101 up, you might even go across on 128 for a quick visit. 128 is one of the great driving roads in Cali, i think. you'll go up through Yorkville Highlands, through Boonville, and then hit theAnderson Valley. Definitely stop at Roederer and at Navarro tasting rooms. Not a whole lot to eat in the town of Mendocino, but i do like cafe Beaujolais if you want pricey, or silver's in noyo harbor for cheaper but still good crab. you'll want to get back to the 101 from there and it's a pretty drive, but nothing to do until you hit Eureka/Arcata (Humboldt County ... you can probably figure out what to do there). seriously, beautiful area, i usually eat at Laruppin. There's also a little diner called Seascape in patrick's point that's right on the water. go for breakfast. from there, you're about an hour of nothing but great views up to Oregon. really a nice drive all the way up.

This is what I was looking for. Thanks a bunch. We'll likely stay in Napa/Sonoma for at least two days. I was thinking probably: 2 days SF, 2 days Napa, 1 day between Napa and Portland, 2 days Portland and Oregon wine country, 3 days Seattle/BC.

I think I'm covered in terms of restaurants for the SF/Napa leg but if there are some can't-miss recs for Portland and Seattle I'd love to hear them.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Crecent City is worth pausing for an hour or so. The nastiest prison in California--Pelican Bay--is up there. I don't think they give tours. I really dig Eureka and Arcata. Mendocino and Ferndale are great towns. Also Fort Bragg. Avenue of the Giants. Then Ukiah, Sevastapol, etc.

Then of course the legendary Kwilk in Healdsburg.

hossoso

Coward and P*ssy
Reaction score
My father's boat is currently in Seattle somewhere. (I have not visited him there; I was supposed to go in April but it fell through.) When he brings it down I am going to hitch a ride. If I can spare the time I will take it all the way to San Diego. My favorite thing to do in life is to sail from SF to SD hitting every harbor along the way.

I wish you'd come up here while I'm still in the states. What bay is your father in?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hossoso
What bay is your father in?

I don't even know.

Eustace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Crecent City is worth pausing for an hour or so. The nastiest prison in California--Pelican Bay--is up there. I don't think they give tours. I really dig Eureka and Arcata. Mendocino and Ferndale are great towns. Also Fort Bragg. Avenue of the Giants. Then Ukiah, Sevastapol, etc.

Then of course the legendary Kwilk in Healdsburg.

Nice. Where does he cook? Cyrus? I think we're going to French Laundry one night but can try someplace else another night while in CA wine country.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads