• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

San Francisco Natives, Need Your Help

michael_legeek

Reaction score
Amen to The Hound. I would really make a point of going there. Button Down, 3415 Sacramento St., had some fantastic goods, but I haven't been there in years and am not sure if they're still all they were. Wilkes Bashford used to be a place people were always talking about -- as in "so-and-so showed up, he has a new Wilkes Bashford suit every time you see him" -- but it always seemed overhyped to me.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
im from the area and i just say sf

the archive is pretty big on teh gothninja brands. not sure if thats up your alley

mac (modern appealing clothing) is one of the older shops around. i was talking the SA and they were telling me about stocking dries van noten when he was first making rounds, i think they're also one of the first to pick up engineered garments.

anyways

golden gate bakery for danta
paulette macarons for macarons
acme bakery for a baguette and some cheese at cowgirl cream in the ferry building for a nic elunch by the bay.

c_bourgeois

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JohnnyCrockett
San Fran and Frisco are the best ways to make it clear you're not from SF. SF and San Francisco are the way to refer to it. Only wannabe New Yorkers and other new timers call it "the City" and it makes true San Franciscans cringe.
Bullshit. These are pretentious arrivistes who love to find reasons to cringe. As far as wannabe New Yorkers are concerned, Frisco always wanted to be New York anyway, but after the 1906 earthquake and fire, that dream died. I am from there, and I call it SF, or sometimes Frisco. Frisco is just the old working-class term, and San Francisco was historically a big longshoremen town. So this a class war on how to name it. You could always write "The City" on envelopes mailed in California. Everyone knew it meant SF. The people who don't like it now are people who just moved there within two years (which is 90% of the population of SF that is not braindead) and they want to distance themselves from the older generation. Regarding establishment-oriented, consumer fashion, which is the orientation of this forum, you find the best fashion like this: 1. Go to the corner of Sutter and Powell facing downhill on Powell. 2. To your right downhill on Sutter will be about 2 blocks worth of reasonably cool stores. 3. Walk straight downhill on Powell one block to Post st. and turn right. You will have about 2 blocks worth of stores. Walk 2 blocks down on Powell to Geary and turn right. 4. Go to the corner of Grant and Sutter. For about 2 blocks on Grant you may find some cool shops. 5. Under no circumstances should you go onto Market street. There you will be caught and eaten by demons that live in the McDonalds there. I personally shop only on Haight street now, which is way across town.

Man with Apple

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by c_bourgeois
Bullshit.

These are pretentious arrivistes who love to find reasons to cringe.

As far as wannabe New Yorkers are concerned, Frisco always wanted to be New York anyway, but after the 1906 earthquake and fire, that dream died.

I am from there, and I call it SF, or sometimes Frisco. Frisco is just the old working-class term, and San Francisco was historically a big longshoremen town. So this a class war on how to name it.

You could always write "The City" on envelopes mailed in California. Everyone knew it meant SF. The people who don't like it now are people who just moved there within two years (which is 90% of the population of SF that is not braindead) and they want to distance themselves from the older generation.

Regarding establishment-oriented, consumer fashion, which is the orientation of this forum, you find the best fashion like this:

1. Go to the corner of Sutter and Powell facing downhill on Powell.

2. To your right downhill on Sutter will be about 2 blocks worth of reasonably cool stores.

3. Walk straight downhill on Powell one block to Post st. and turn right. You will have about 2 blocks worth of stores. Walk 2 blocks down on Powell to Geary and turn right.

4. Go to the corner of Grant and Sutter. For about 2 blocks on Grant you may find some cool shops.

5. Under no circumstances should you go onto Market street. There you will be caught and eaten by demons that live in the McDonalds there.

I personally shop only on Haight street now, which is way across town.

Wow, turn by turn directions, and a heads up on demons? What else could a guy ask for?

Thanks again to all who have chimed in.

Trompe le Monde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I lived for 10 years in 408. Do our opinions count? Because down there in the south bay we used anything from Frisco to San Fran ...

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by michael_legeek
Amen to The Hound. I would really make a point of going there.

Button Down, 3415 Sacramento St., had some fantastic goods, but I haven't been there in years and am not sure if they're still all they were.

Wilkes Bashford used to be a place people were always talking about -- as in "so-and-so showed up, he has a new Wilkes Bashford suit every time you see him" -- but it always seemed overhyped to me.

Button Down is probably worth the detour. A bit precious, but they have some beautiful things.
Some of my favorite shirts/sweaters are from there. Also a chance to see the very special
Presidio Heights neighborhood which exemplifies San Francisco elegance.

http://www.sacramentostreetshop.com/...uttonDown.html

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bullshit.

These are pretentious arrivistes who love to find reasons to cringe.

As far as wannabe New Yorkers are concerned, Frisco always wanted to be New York anyway, but after the 1906 earthquake and fire, that dream died.

I am from there, and I call it SF, or sometimes Frisco. Frisco is just the old working-class term, and San Francisco was historically a big longshoremen town. So this a class war on how to name it.

You could always write "The City" on envelopes mailed in California. Everyone knew it meant SF. The people who don't like it now are people who just moved there within two years (which is 90% of the population of SF that is not braindead) and they want to distance themselves from the older generation.

Regarding establishment-oriented, consumer fashion, which is the orientation of this forum, you find the best fashion like this:

1. Go to the corner of Sutter and Powell facing downhill on Powell.

2. To your right downhill on Sutter will be about 2 blocks worth of reasonably cool stores.

3. Walk straight downhill on Powell one block to Post st. and turn right. You will have about 2 blocks worth of stores. Walk 2 blocks down on Powell to Geary and turn right.

4. Go to the corner of Grant and Sutter. For about 2 blocks on Grant you may find some cool shops.

5. Under no circumstances should you go onto Market street. There you will be caught and eaten by demons that live in the McDonalds there.

I personally shop only on Haight street now, which is way across town.

"I am from there, and I call it SF, or sometimes Frisco. Frisco is just the old working-class term, and San Francisco was historically a big longshoremen town. So this a class war on how to name it."

I feel your pain. Harry Bridges has been dead for 20 years and the working docks are all across the
Bay. Solidarity Brother!

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Only wannabe New Yorkers and other new timers call it "the City" and it makes true San Franciscans cringe.
BS! Fresh off the turnip truck are you? Everyone in the Bay Area outside San Francisco calls it the City.

BTW ... the best gift shop in the City is Dandelion. I'm talking nicely designed gifts (almost overwhelming) ... not the t-shirt and sno-ball variety.

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Trompe le Monde
I lived for 10 years in 408. Do our opinions count?

Nope.

JohnnyCrockett

Reaction score
Bullshit. These are pretentious arrivistes who love to find reasons to cringe. As far as wannabe New Yorkers are concerned, Frisco always wanted to be New York anyway, but after the 1906 earthquake and fire, that dream died. I am from there, and I call it SF, or sometimes Frisco. Frisco is just the old working-class term, and San Francisco was historically a big longshoremen town. So this a class war on how to name it. You could always write "The City" on envelopes mailed in California. Everyone knew it meant SF. The people who don't like it now are people who just moved there within two years (which is 90% of the population of SF that is not braindead) and they want to distance themselves from the older generation. Regarding establishment-oriented, consumer fashion, which is the orientation of this forum, you find the best fashion like this: 1. Go to the corner of Sutter and Powell facing downhill on Powell. 2. To your right downhill on Sutter will be about 2 blocks worth of reasonably cool stores. 3. Walk straight downhill on Powell one block to Post st. and turn right. You will have about 2 blocks worth of stores. Walk 2 blocks down on Powell to Geary and turn right. 4. Go to the corner of Grant and Sutter. For about 2 blocks on Grant you may find some cool shops. 5. Under no circumstances should you go onto Market street. There you will be caught and eaten by demons that live in the McDonalds there. I personally shop only on Haight street now, which is way across town.
Thanks for enlightening us. Now we know how to sound like longshoremen (if your apocryphal story is true). I guess the fact that Herb Caen wrote this doesn't matter to you. I mean, he wasn't an expert on SF and certainly didn't live in SF very long. http://www.amazon.com/Dont-Call-Fris.../dp/B0007DNA1Q Isn't it a bit arriviste to be calling others arriviste?

Roikins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for enlightening us. Now we know how to sound like longshoremen (if your apocryphal story is true).

I guess the fact that Herb Caen wrote this doesn't matter to you. I mean, he wasn't an expert on SF and certainly didn't live in SF very long.
http://www.amazon.com/Dont-Call-Fris.../dp/B0007DNA1Q

Isn't it a bit arriviste to be calling others arriviste?

Indeed. Having grown up in the SFBA, everyone always says, "I'm going into The City," or "I'm from The City."

And I've never heard anyone call it Frisco, including my friends/relatives who grew up in the city proper. It seems like this was an issue back in 1918.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
nvm ... duplicate post.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads