• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

San Francisco in June

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nearly decided on a birthday trip to San Francisco this year. Never been to California, in fact, picked SF because I know that there are some serious cocktail spots. Not really the best time to make this trip, but well, it's a special year. Am willing to cheap out on accommodations to cut down the price -- any ideas? Willing to go more to stay in a B&B-type place rather than a chain.

Bourbon & Branch, Alembic, Absinthe are on my 'strongly consider' list for the trip. Museums, other sights still up in the air -- that national park a little north of the city is probably on the list as well. Any other ideas? Looks like three days, Th (late) 'till Monday afternoon.

~ H

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I've heard the Parsonage is really nice as a B&B, but I have no idea on the price. Cheaper than a lot of the hotels in the city, I am sure. Maybe hit Bar Agricole? I've not been, but a few friends like it a lot. Ferry building is great, though I would opt for oysters and a nice glass (bottle) of vouvray outside of Hog Island in the evening, even if it is cold.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Bring a sweater.

I was at Absinthe a few days ago. It's okay for a quick drink but it is a rather ugly little bar and far too crowded to spend much time in. The recommended cocktail they served me was pretty much swill and to their credit they quickly replaced it with something decent.

lefty

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some nice spirits at Rickhouse as well.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I didn't like B&B very much. Much preferred Alembic. Both the drinks and the atmosphere.

If you like Belgian beer, there are some excellent bars for that.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I enjoyed the art deco walking tour, if you like that kind of thing. The art in the Coit Tower is also of the same period.

I enjoyed that more than the big museums.

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
Nearly decided on a birthday trip to San Francisco this year. Never been to California, in fact, picked SF because I know that there are some serious cocktail spots. Not really the best time to make this trip, but well, it's a special year. Am willing to cheap out on accommodations to cut down the price -- any ideas? Willing to go more to stay in a B&B-type place rather than a chain. Bourbon & Branch, Alembic, Absinthe are on my 'strongly consider' list for the trip. Museums, other sights still up in the air -- that national park a little north of the city is probably on the list as well. Any other ideas? Looks like three days, Th (late) 'till Monday afternoon. ~ H
It can get very cool and breezy in the afternoon and evening, even in the summertime. June can be pretty foggy. Bring appropriate attire and comfortable shoes - lots of walking up and down hills. Washington Square Inn in the North Beach neighborhood of SF is a nice B&B - I've stayed there before and enjoyed the experience. B&Bs aren't going to be cheap, though. http://wsisf.com/ I've also stayed at the Grant Hotel, which is decent, historic and very inexpensive for a SF Hotel ~ $100 a night. It's also centrally located. The rooms are on the small side, but you're spending most of your time outside anyway. http://www.granthotel.net/ Driving and finding parking in SF is a major hassle. You can take the BART rapid transit from the airport into the city, and from there you can taxi around town. There's plenty to see in the city, especially if you're there for only a few days. Things to do: This might be fun
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
California Academy of Science is pretty amazing and you pretty much have to do Fisherman's Wharf for at least a couple hours. IMO Absinthe wasn't sort of a let down.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On a Fri or Sat night around 8 they have live jazz here http://www.cafeclaude.com/index.html

If you don't want to eat, just stop in for a drink. It is a charming setting, hipster-free zone. Casual to dressy. Calm setting. Great for lunch too. They have inside and outside seating. Usually cuties around.

Roikins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
Nearly decided on a birthday trip to San Francisco this year. Never been to California, in fact, picked SF because I know that there are some serious cocktail spots. Not really the best time to make this trip, but well, it's a special year. Am willing to cheap out on accommodations to cut down the price -- any ideas? Willing to go more to stay in a B&B-type place rather than a chain. Bourbon & Branch, Alembic, Absinthe are on my 'strongly consider' list for the trip. Museums, other sights still up in the air -- that national park a little north of the city is probably on the list as well. Any other ideas? Looks like three days, Th (late) 'till Monday afternoon. ~ H
Do The Wilson Bar instead of Bourbon & Branch (it's the same people, just located next door with the same pretentious password stuff), but it's a smaller bartender/patron ratio and allows you to really talk to the bartenders. B&B can sit you in a private booth where you can't talk to the bartender. Around the block from there is Rye, another cocktail place, and down the block is another B&B owned joint, Mr. Lew's Win Win Bar & Grand Sazerac Emporium; it's billed as a cocktail dive bar, because they crank out really amazing cocktails for ~$5. Don't miss Bar Agricole; it's a good later night spot on Fri./Sat., because it's usually very mellow and lots of industry people end up there, but don't order food there. Comstock Saloon and Alembic are the only 2 cocktail places I would order food. There's also Beretta in the Mission for strong cocktails, which was Bar Agricole's Thad Volger's previous project. If you're into rum, there's Smuggler's Cove and Nihon for whisky. The wildcard is Blackbird, because sometimes they have barrel aged cocktails.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
FYI - it seems that "You're fuckin' kidding me?" is not the password at B&B.

lefty

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lefty
FYI - it seems that "You're fuckin' kidding me?" is not the password at B&B. lefty
lol which one of the password bars has a "no cell phone" policy? i can't remember the name but the cell thing was nice.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
B&B. Their rules include no standing at the bar.

This is from their site: "Welcome to Bourbon & Branch, and congratulations on finding us." You have a website. How bloody difficult are you to find? Google did it in 0.14 seconds.

lefty

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lefty
B&B. Their rules include no standing at the bar.

This is from their site: "Welcome to Bourbon & Branch, and congratulations on finding us." You have a website. How bloody difficult are you to find? Google did it in 0.14 seconds.

lefty

This wannabe speak-easy stuff has to stop. There's some place in San Jose like that now too... got to love waiting outside in a line when nobody's inside and being talked to by some ridiculously "period dressed" staff.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads