• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

San Francisco drycleaner for neckties rec?

gravenimages

Reaction score
Hey guys, I just had a couple of ties scorched by my neighborhood cleaner. If there are any fellow Friscans who can turn me on to somewhere in town that has a gentle, yet thorough, touch, I'd be most grateful. I'd prefer that they do their cleaning in house, as the converse may have contributed to the silken holocaust of last week. Bonus if it's near USF/Upper Haight.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Peninou gets really good marks. I've used them for certain 'expert procedures' and have been pleased. They even have a pick up service, though you might need a certain volume for that.

gravenimages

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Parker
Peninou gets really good marks. I've used them for certain 'expert procedures' and have been pleased. They even have a pick up service, though you might need a certain volume for that.

Thanks for the tip.

Will

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Peninou is a fine ladies' cleaner that knows nothing about men's clothes. They will press your neckties flat during cleaning. They will also destroy the press of the lapels on your jackets and ruin any French cuff shirts you may own. They did this to me for years before I found Alex's Dry Cleaning, which is both far more competent and somewhat less expensive.

But I wouldn't send my neckties to Alex either. If the tie is worth any money, mail it to Tiecrafters in New York.

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alex's Dry Cleaning was also recommended to me by the folks at Wilkes. I haven't used it though; and I would certainly defer to Will regarding tie care.

AdamInSF

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Will
But I wouldn't send my neckties to Alex either. If the tie is worth any money, mail it to Tiecrafters in New York.
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]
Originally Posted by TieCrafters
$10.50 Per Tie (4 Tie Minimum)
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
frown.gif
I have a Talbott BOC w/a stain I'd just love to have removed, but don't have any more ties in need of TLC to send TieCrafters' way. Is there really nothing worth using locally in San Francisco?

Will

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AdamInSF
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
frown.gif
I have a Talbott BOC w/a stain I'd just love to have removed, but don't have any more ties in need of TLC to send TieCrafters' way. Is there really nothing worth using locally in San Francisco?

Call Tiecrafters. I've sent them single ties. They just charge a little more.

tlmusic

Reaction score
Call Tiecrafters. I've sent them single ties. They just charge a little more.

Call tiecrafters

I don't live in San Francisco, but I would be surprised if you could find a drycleaners there that could clean a tie properly. Tiecrafters the best (only) place for tie maintenance I've found.

sf_esq

Reaction score
IMO, Peninou is overrated and overpriced. I use Silk Tech on Polk Street (recommended to me by someone who worked at Neiman Marcus). They do a decent job and they do it all on their premises. I drive across town to take my stuff to them because of some many bad experiences with other cleaners. Good luck.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Who would you recommend for getting suits and sportcoats dry cleaned? My local guy can't figure out a 3/2 roll to save his life, and I'm afraid he may have ruined my new blazer.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
What is it about Alex's Dry Cleaning that you don't understand? :)

Free pickup and delivery too.

Serves me right for not reading every word of every post...Alex's it is!

sf_esq

Reaction score
Originally Posted by imatlas
Serves me right for not reading every word of every post...Alex's it is!

I'm liking that pickup and delivery action. I yelped them and they appear to located in San Rafael, is that the same Alex's place you guys are referring to?

DandySF

Reaction score
Alex's is in San Rafael. They pickup and deliver in SF.

sf_esq

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DandySF
Alex's is in San Rafael. They pickup and deliver in SF.

Terrific, thanks. I may give them a try.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads