• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

San Francisco/Bay Area Store Guide

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by keykoo
I went down to Hayes Valley this weekend and found a bunch of cool shops that I didn't know of (although I probably should've headed down to check out MAC sooner...) As a resident of hte area for 6 months I'd like to broaden my haunts. There's a nice shopping guide in the MC forum for SF with a couple cool stores but it caters to a slightly different market. Recommend me some nifty stores for me to check out for clothes, shoes, and other incidentals please.

Places I've Been So Far: (alphabetized for your convenience)
Archive, The
AB Fits
Azalea
Barneys
Cotton Sheep
Gimme Shoes
MAC
Saks
Self Edge

If you are into Marc Jacobs, they have a store on Maiden Lane. Usually, prices are stratospheric. but they have seasonal sales of 70% off. Insane. Prices are stil high, but worth it, or the most part. Also, they get tons of stuff from other stores, so you may score some cool laceups, kicks, etc.. that were really high priced at retail, for $120 or so.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Don't forget Jeremy's.

Casey

Reaction score
Yeah, I never pay retail for MJ because I know they get marked way down, and it's usually the entire store too.

I heard that the Bloomingdale's in SF has a selection comparable to Barneys, and probably better than the smallish SF Barneys.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I stopped by this place in Hayes Valley called Nida, they had a lot of good stuff. Filippa K, Raf Simons, Yohji, aka the usual suspects.

keykoo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bloomingdale's carries Viktor and Rolf, DSquared (ew), Prorsum, Margiela, Helmut Lang, Marc Jacobs, and that french brand that is obsessed with hemp... Lucian or something like that in their advanced designer section.

Barneys carries other brands and there isn't much overlap between the two. Overall the paucity of their selections are the same though, a couple pieces in limited sizes

Mark C.

Reaction score
Villains and Villains Vault
fing02[1].gif
. Sure, I'm a bit biased...but Villains/Villains Vault is one of my favorite boutiques.

keykoo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hate going to Haight cause parking there is atrocious. At least at Union Square you have a bunch of nice parking garages.

Mark C.

Reaction score
I hate going to Haight cause parking there is atrocious. At least at Union Square you have a bunch of nice parking garages.

This is true, lol
laugh.gif
...although, to be honest, I always manage to find a parking space. Anyway, I just thought I'd recommend a nifty store. Good luck on your search.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Never had too much of a problem parking in the Haight.

The only area I consider true parking hell is the Pier area. That's when I go straight to the $10 parking lots.

djh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone been to Carrots? http://www.sfcarrots.com/ Are there any other stores around it? The website/yelp reviews make me wanna check it out, but is it worth it to make the trek there if it's the only store..?

kiya

Brand Representative
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by adidassler
Anyone been to Carrots?
http://www.sfcarrots.com/

Are there any other stores around it? The website/yelp reviews make me wanna check it out, but is it worth it to make the trek there if it's the only store..?

I tried to go there after reading about it for months.. I went on July 5th, (fourth of July weekend), after looking for parking for what seemed like half an hour, walking three blocks, they had a sign on the door that read "Closed for Fourth of July Weekend"
I own three retail stores myself, who the **** closes on fourth of July weekend when the city is swarming with thousands of tourists wanting to blow their money on clothing?

keykoo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From what I gather, they're loaded as it is and the store (although I'm sure they want to make profit) is something they do as a hobby.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads