• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

San Francisco Alterations tailor

Jeffrey2117

Reaction score
Hello Despos,

Thank you for posting this slant cuff information. I am a new member on this forum.

I have not had anyone request this type of cuffed slanted trouser hem before.

I intend to experiment a bit and add this hem to my skills.

I appreciate your time to post the photo's and presenting the post on this forum.

Kind regards,

Jeffrey2117

Jeffrey2117

Reaction score
Hello Sir,

From the description it sounds as if there was extensive alterations conducted on your suits.

If the suit cost was a gift, $200. or $2000. the alterations still cost dependant on the extent that has to be completed.

I do not know what extent your tailor had to correct, but depending on the work/location, etc.., this does not seem to bad to me.

Yesterday, spent hours completing alterations on two pair of mens trousers and one pair of shorts, cost was $221.

The question is; are you happy with the fit?

Kind regards

Jeffrey2117

DandySF

Reaction score

I had a suit taken to be tailored-the sides were taken in, sleeves shortened, length of the coat shortened and the chest area taken in. $400. The pants Ihad the waist taken in and had it cuffed. $40

Sad to read that Victor passed away, this per a Yelp posting I came across earlier today. He always had a strong opinion and delivered excellent work. I enjoyed working with him for a number of years.

techstyles

Reaction score
Just got three suits back from Franz - he did amazing work and is a complete gentleman. The handsewn surgeon cuffs are impeccable, and the fit on everything is flawless. FYI on pricing I think it was roughly $300 per suit to open the cuffs, hem the pants, shape the seat of the pants, and take out a small roll in the shoulder. A bargain at any price! Lots of people spend huge money on expensive suits because of the massive amount of handwork they have, only to take them to a tailor who removes all of those details and artfulness. For example, without asking, Franz also split the waist on all the pants in a beautiful way.

ultramantaro

Reaction score
Hi all,

I just picked up a new suit that's basted - basically the buttons haven't been sewn on the cuffs yet. I llive in San Carlos and tried two cleaners/tailors in the area who wouldn't be able to do surgeon cuffs - the latter said she can do it by hand but without a buttonhole machine. I'm not sure if they will be 100% symmetrical since the holes should be punched with a machine first before they are sewn.

With all that said, I would love to give Bob a try, even though his Yelp reviews tend to swing quite a bit. Here's what I would like to have done:

- Shorten sleeves
- Put in surgeon cuffs since nothing has been sewn on yet. I'm looking at 3 buttons
- Hem pants
- Extend waist by about 1 in

Anyone who used Bob can let me know the cost of all the above?

TIA!

ultramantaro

Reaction score
After going through the Yelp reviews I went with Andrea's in Millbrae first but on the phone he said he doesn't do functional cuffs. Not worth it in his opinion. Went to Ricardo's in Sunnyvale who said yes, but will be $129 with sleeve shortening.

Any thoghts? Is the price too high or just about right? More importantly, if you have had suits altered at Ricardo's did you come away happy with his work?

TIA.

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^

1. is that a photo of the seattle seagulls? If so, I will refrain from saying something bad :)

2. I can't speak of Bob or others but I've gone to Andrea's many times. Fantastic price for the quality. Is he THE BEST? No. But do you want to pay very high dollars for THE BEST? Probably not, right?
Andrea's doesn't do functional buttons and I'm okay with that b/c I'm not a fan of functional. He does everything else to a very high standard.

I'd recommend Andrea's tailoring in San Bruno

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

After going through the Yelp reviews I went with Andrea's in Millbrae first but on the phone he said he doesn't do functional cuffs.  Not worth it in his opinion.  Went to Ricardo's in Sunnyvale who said yes, but will be $129 with sleeve shortening.  

Any thoghts?  Is the price too high or just about right?  More importantly, if you have had suits altered at Ricardo's did you come away happy with his work?

TIA.

I think Franz was $25 a button by hand, so depending how many you do but Ricardos sounds cheaper. Are they done by hand?

ultramantaro

Reaction score
I wound up choosing Ricardo's as he's somewhat convenient as it's about 15 min away from my commute route, and also based on some of the Yelp reviews and one recommendation on this thread. The others closer to where I live or work just don't do functional buttons, and going up to San Francisco is too much of a drive and hassle esp with a baby boy at home.

He didn't ask a whole lot of questions - basically did what a typical tailor would do - had me wear my suit as is, and made some recommendations - asked if I wanted the sleeves shortened as it was borderline (yes as it won't show cuffs on most of my shirts) He didn't ask if I wanted a cuff or how much of a break I wanted for my pants - and I forgot to tell him that. I'm assuming he's going with the standard as cuffing is not the norm these days, but did mark the pants based on the heel of my dress shoes (pretty typical). He did tell me to take the back in slightly (not much) just to make the jacket a bit more form fitted.

As for the func buttons by hand or machine - I didn't ask but he said he can do them when I first asked without questioning the merit - except it will cost more and takes longer. Hope it all goes well.

And yes, that's Marshawn Lynch of the Sea Pigeons.

Last edited:

malat

Reaction score

Hi all,

I just picked up a new suit that's basted - basically the buttons haven't been sewn on the cuffs yet.  I llive in San Carlos and tried two cleaners/tailors in the area who wouldn't be able to do surgeon cuffs - the latter said she can do it by hand but without a buttonhole machine.  I'm not sure if they will be 100% symmetrical since the holes should be punched with a machine first before they are sewn.

With all that said, I would love to give Bob a try, even though his Yelp reviews tend to swing quite a bit.  Here's what I would like to have done:

- Shorten sleeves
- Put in surgeon cuffs since nothing has been sewn on yet.  I'm looking at 3 buttons 
- Hem pants
- Extend waist by about 1 in

Anyone who used Bob can let me know the cost of all the above?

TIA!

Bob nearly ruined 4 brand new shirts for me last week. I have used him for years, so I was extremely surprised and disappointed, especially since this was simple work -- shortening and taking in shirt sleeves. When I confronted him later about the terrible condition of the shirts, he tried to explain that, in on instance, he "sewed the cuffs from the outside" therefore he completely missed that they were not attached on the inside of the shirt. He offered to try to fix the issues -- every shirt he tailored had problems -- but there was no way I am going to let him touch my clothing again. He did give me my money back. I had been taking all of my expensive clothing to Bob for alterations, but I think this was the last visit for me. Now I have to find a new tailor, unfortunately.

jamesshan

Reaction score
I wound up choosing Ricardo's as he's somewhat convenient as it's about 15 min away from my commute route, and also based on some of the Yelp reviews and one recommendation on this thread. The others closer to where I live or work just don't do functional buttons, and going up to San Francisco is too much of a drive and hassle esp with a baby boy at home.

He didn't ask a whole lot of questions - basically did what a typical tailor would do - had me wear my suit as is, and made some recommendations - asked if I wanted the sleeves shortened as it was borderline (yes as it won't show cuffs on most of my shirts) He didn't ask if I wanted a cuff or how much of a break I wanted for my pants - and I forgot to tell him that. I'm assuming he's going with the standard as cuffing is not the norm these days, but did mark the pants based on the heel of my dress shoes (pretty typical). He did tell me to take the back in slightly (not much) just to make the jacket a bit more form fitted.

As for the func buttons by hand or machine - I didn't ask but he said he can do them when I first asked without questioning the merit - except it will cost more and takes longer. Hope it all goes well.

And yes, that's Marshawn Lynch of the Sea Pigeons.

I've been thinking about taking a new blazer to Ricardo's. Can you let us know how yours from Ricardo turned out? I'm interested in seeing the result of the work. Were you pleased? Would you recommend?

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
People still go to Ricardo's or Manuel's? South Bay Area...

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

People still go to Ricardo's or Manuel's? South Bay Area...

I don't know about Ricardo other than he has a good reputation.
I still go to Bob Stankovic in Menlo Park.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads