• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Samurai lovers

Knolok

Reaction score
Looking to get a new pair of jeans, debating between getting a pair of 15th anniv 710xx or a pair of Iron heart 301s...anyone owns both?

Looking for a slim/straight fit à la LVC '67 505 with a leg opening of 7.5" or so...any inputs, other suggestions etc would be appreciated. I'm a W31, 5'8 145 lbs

Thanks

ysb

Reaction score

Looking to get a new pair of jeans, debating between getting a pair of 15th anniv 710xx or a pair of Iron heart 301s...anyone owns both?

Looking for a slim/straight fit à la LVC '67 505 with a leg opening of 7.5" or so...any inputs, other suggestions etc would be appreciated. I'm a W31, 5'8 145 lbs

Thanks

Neither are straight fits, and both are pretty different from each other. The samurai has less of a taper, and a higher rise than the 301. I'd consider the 301 a more modern fit. Between the two it sounds like you'd be more into the samurai, but I'm not familiar with your reference jean either. at that waist and your desired leg opening of 7.5" you're going to have some taper.

other suggestions:
Flat Head SE05BSP
Pure Blue Japane xx-13
Iron Heart either 666 or beatle buster ( don't own either)

IIIrd Icon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
freshly soaked & ready ... taking the Jins on a trip

Knolok

Reaction score
Thanks ysb! I think I'mma go with the 710xx

Any post soak measurements on a pair of 15th anniv sz 30 and 31?

Any opinion on which one I should get? 31" fits me well without a belt, would like to get these to a 31" after a bit of wear.

Thanks

Midasharry

Reaction score
Guys,
I have a pair of s710xx which has been hemmed to 31.5". It's about 0.5-1" longer than I wanted. Is there a way to get a little bit more shrinkage?
It was 38" pre-soak. I did 2 hot soap (hot tap water in the tub) 45min each and one hot machine wash. All hang-dried. And I only got to 36.25" before I had them hemmed.
Should I do another (and longer) hot soak? Is it okay to use dryer?
I'm less concerned about the waist. After the soak the waist only shrank by 1.5". I don't even need to stretch it at this point.

tropics

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
did you register here to query about your jeans being 0.5 inches too long? i'm confused.
0.5 inches long is not a bad problem. why not cuff them, and if they shrink when you machine wash, great, if not, re-hem?

Midasharry

Reaction score
Thank you tropics. They're probably 1" too long. I don't cuff jeans so they get under my heels as I walk. It's not worth spending the money to re-hem I guess.

tropics

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
how much wear is on them? drier will probably give you some more shrinkage but 1" seems unlikely.

Midasharry

Reaction score
About two weeks. My previous pair of jeans was PBJ and it shrank a lot more. I'm new to 710 and didn't realize it's so shrinkage resistant. I know cuffing is always an option. Thanks again tropics.

tropics

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
seeing as it is coming into samurai season, updated pic. still plenty of work left to do.

Last edited:

dapperdoctor

Reaction score
Does anybody have the 15 oz heavyweight chinos from Samurai? I want to check a pair out and was wondering if you thought they were worth it.

ErikW

Reaction score
Anyone have experience with the S003JP? I'm a 32 in the Momotaro 0702/0701 cut, curious how that would translate?

kidcoin

Reaction score
Hey need a size and cut recommendation from you guys in Sammys.

I'm wearing Japan Blue 406s right now and I want something with a straighter leg. I'm a size 32 in the
JBs and they fit well with about 12'' thighs but the waist could be 1'' smaller (it settled at 34'' after stretch). Want about 8.5'' leg opening with a 32'' inseam (cuffed).

I was looking into the 510xx but they seem too large in the leg opening? the 710xx seems too small in the thighs..

EDIT: I like the top block of my SDA 1655s in tag size 33 very much if that helps.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics