Samurai lovers

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by sho'nuff, Dec 2, 2008.

1. Seafinch

Seafinch Senior member

These look amazing

Thanks... they're even better in real life.

2. irbe

irbe Senior member

get your sammies with arcs while you can because in december, all arcs will be gone, even in japan.

Can anybody confirm this?

3. jaydc7

jaydc7 Senior member

I have some S5000VX size 33s new from Japan if anyone is interested.

info and price?

4. Caveat

Caveat Senior member

info and price?

Post soak measurements on my size 33 S5000VX:

34 waist (maybe 34.25)
    thigh 12.75
    knee 9.25
    hem 8.75
    inseam 36
    back rise 13.5
    front rise 11

New and never worn, arcs and tabs $275 via Paypal.

5. iwhelan

iwhelan Senior member

Resurrecting this thread...

I am trying to decide between S710's or S0500xx. I work in Manhattan and I'm just waiting for BiG to restock the S0500xx.

I have a pair of Momotaro 0201s, which seem to be a similar cut to the S0500xx based on measurements. I like this cut and would probably not mind a pair of S0500's as another pair to rotate since I wear jeans to work every day. However, I wondered about the S710's since they're a little slimmer (not skinny), and might be nice to have something different. I'm just concerned about the 19oz denim. Are these going to be killer in the summer? What's your opinion?

I like these Samurai jeans because they seem to be fairly straightforward classic styles and they have reasonable mid-rises and long inseams. I am 6'3" so most of the Japanese brands will be too short once they've shrunk. I also don't want anything low-rise.

If you have any other suggestions for other brand's models, please let me know.

Thanks.

6. Earnest Hemingway

Earnest Hemingway Senior member

A friend of mine is going to Japan for a month in the summer, and I was thinking of organizing a proxy buy for some Sams w/ the old arcs and tab (or something else) if there's any interest. Any takers?

7. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Senior member

On 3/1/11 I will order my first pair of Samurais

That will be the one yr anniv of my getting my APC NSs

What Samurai cut is similar to the NS.... It's basically perfect for me, don't want anything slimmer or baggier

8. Pangolin

Pangolin Senior member

I bought the 500XX 3 years ago and barely ever wore them. I hate them, the denim is too slubby and they fade too fast and the cotton isn't resistant. The cut is alright, not great.
    In general, and that's obviously a personal position, I would say Samurai is one of the most overrated Japanese brands and you can do a lot better, especially at the prices they go for. As far as the denim goes, the 5000VX is probably their best model, or the least silly one.

9. masterllama

masterllama Senior member

which cut is the slimmest and most modern cut from samurai?

I want in on this slubby goodness.

10. wahwho11

wahwho11 Senior member

710 which is slim, but not skinny

11. iwhelan

iwhelan Senior member

I bought the 500XX 3 years ago and barely ever wore them. I hate them, the denim is too slubby and they fade too fast and the cotton isn't resistant. The cut is alright, not great.
    In general, and that's obviously a personal position, I would say Samurai is one of the most overrated Japanese brands and you can do a lot better, especially at the prices they go for. As far as the denim goes, the 5000VX is probably their best model, or the least silly one.

They faded too fast even though you barely wore them? What do you mean when you say the cotton isn't resistant? Do you have a suggestion for a better pair of jeans that have a similar cut? I agree that they're a bit hyped and expensive compared to what else is out there, but if I were shorter I would have more options.

12. Pangolin

Pangolin Senior member

They faded too fast even though you barely wore them? What do you mean when you say the cotton isn't resistant? Do you have a suggestion for a better pair of jeans that have a similar cut? I agree that they're a bit hyped and expensive compared to what else is out there, but if I were shorter I would have more options.

I would say my pair has about 2 months worth of wear. Yet, in many spots, the indigo is already almost gone. The threads around the front pockets broke, some on the yoke as well. I also have a hole in the crotch, which I think is due to the too slubby denim. I have quite a few pairs of (Japanese) jeans, most have been worn more than my 500XX and none has had the same durability issue. I understand this is part of what make them attractive for some, they certainly fade and age really quickly.
    I don't know if you looked into Studio d'Artisan (the 103 or 003 models), but they are on the slim side and, again in my opinion, are much better products. Inseams should be around 34 post wash.

13. iwhelan

iwhelan Senior member

Thanks for the information. I am not really interested in having a pair of jeans wear so quickly like that. My Momotaros seem to be holding up extremely well and they're slightly over a year old. I wear them at least half of every week. I feel like I'm getting a good value from them.

It seems like the Studio D'Artisan 003s are no longer available (at least in the US from BiG) and the 103's rise is slightly too low. Also, 34" length is too short for me. I need at least a 34.5" length after shrinkage.

I am looking at the Eternal 811's again... not sure what else.

Does anyone else have a similar experience as Octopandda with the S0500xx?

14. Peon

Peon Well-Known Member

Hello is there any cut from Samurai that is considered as a carrott fit?
    Standard rise, regular thigh, which tapers a lot from the knee down to a narrow hem.

I thought the S0500XX was the carott fit in the collection.

15. the_state

the_state Senior member

Resurrecting this thread...

I am trying to decide between S710's or S0500xx. I work in Manhattan and I'm just waiting for BiG to restock the S0500xx.

I have a pair of Momotaro 0201s, which seem to be a similar cut to the S0500xx based on measurements. I like this cut and would probably not mind a pair of S0500's as another pair to rotate since I wear jeans to work every day. However, I wondered about the S710's since they're a little slimmer (not skinny), and might be nice to have something different. I'm just concerned about the 19oz denim. Are these going to be killer in the summer? What's your opinion?

I like these Samurai jeans because they seem to be fairly straightforward classic styles and they have reasonable mid-rises and long inseams. I am 6'3" so most of the Japanese brands will be too short once they've shrunk. I also don't want anything low-rise.

If you have any other suggestions for other brand's models, please let me know.

Thanks.

0500xx, all day man.