Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Samuelsohn

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by misterbowles, Feb 9, 2005.

1. misterbowles

misterbowles Senior member

Any opinions on the quality of this Canadian outfit? From what I've been able to gather, they're kind of the Southwick of the North...

2. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

Good analogy. Very high quality. They made my tux. I will leave it to others with more experience to say more.

3. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

'Northwick'? They make/made a lot of Paul Stuart's suits, which I think are up there on the quality scale. I like them a lot.

4. demeis

demeis Senior member

We carry them in the store i'm interning at and in my opinion (which i dont' know as much as some here) they are equal in quality to Corneliani or lubiam. The price isn't to bad i think they start at about $800 (correct me if i'm wrong).

5. kabert

kabert Senior member

A store near my office, Wm. Fox & Co. in Washington, DC, carries Samuelsohn. I've had a good chance over the years to paw over their broad Samuelsohn collection. I think it's above Southwick in quality, at least on average. The cheapest Samuelsohn suits they have are about $600 (a bit less on sale), while some really nice fabrics are in the $1,200 range. They seem very well made to me, albeit fairly conservative. I'd compare them closer to Hickey-Freeman than Southwick I think (although I've seen some H-F suits with original retail stickers of $2,200). Samuelsohn also makes excellent pairs of odd slacks -- e.g., 120s grey wool dress slacks are in the $250 range.

6. Carlo

Carlo Senior member

They make some lovely suits, very good on construction and some of thier fabrics go pretty pricey but reasonable for what they are. Jill has one in a super 150's that looks fabulous on her... looks decent on the hanger too.

7. oscarthewild

oscarthewild Senior member

Canvas construction, not so much handwork as Isaia.

Their common model is the 2 button single breast, single vent "Andrew". Great for job interviews and when you want to appear serious or substantial. I have two, 1 very light super 130s prince of wales (light grey) and a super 110 or 120 glen plaid (tan). Not the slickest three button, double vented look but more conservative. These are my spring/summer day suits.

The Paul stuarts are of a very similar quality (sometimes some better fabrics, sometimes more interesting colours) and in a variety of cuts.

They also make suits for Holt Renfrew - a canadian retailer. I have a mid grey pinstrip super 130, three button, dual vent. The angle of the notch is a little unusual but a good look.

I think they are comparable with my Zegna super 120s (bought in 95-96). But a few notches below the napoli coutures.