Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Samuelsohn vs Brioni

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by cbbuff, Jan 3, 2012.

1. othertravel

othertravel Senior member

Yep, $1095 Canadian. A vest bumps up the price by $395 or so. They had some great fabrics, and I'm thinking of using one of their 'Wallstreet' fabrics. I think they also have a line of 'Savile' fabrics.

2. Siwash

Siwash Senior member

Hi..where did you get this price from Holt's Harry's? other?

Thanks!!

Last edited: Jan 4, 2012

3. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

That's a comparison I would like to see.

4. jeff13007

jeff13007 Senior member

5. cbbuff

cbbuff Senior member

No, this was a very unique grid pattern, and was the same cloth - exact same look and feel.. I should have taken a photo. I do understand your skepticism. I would think the same had I not handled the goods myself.

Great link. Thank you for that. Very interesting to see Jeffrey's dissection on both.

6. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

+1
    though (and thankfully so) I know of no one in real life who refers to Samuelsohn as 'sammy' :)

+1 Well said.

7. taxgenius

taxgenius Senior member

I don't speak to anyone in real life. SF members are my only friends. :violin:

8. othertravel

othertravel Senior member

It's at Harry's.

9. JTA

JTA Senior member

I like Samuelsohn, they are the maker of my favourite OTR brand (Phineas Cole of Paul Stuart). Represents the best value for your money at retail, while Brioni is a very good brand but expensive. Don't think I'll pay extra few k for them.

10. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

I hope it isn't that bad, and if it is, a very special Happy New Year just for you TG :) I'll be your friend!

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

11. Ivon

Ivon Senior member

Brioni is a different beast. I have a couple of Samuealsohn suits for travel and whatnot. I think Rosen has an annual MTM event with them in Feb/ Mar every year. At those prices, they are cheaper than Canali or Corneliani by a decent margin and comparable to BB at a similar price. I stoppped wearing BB suits for work a long time ago, I felt like Agent Mulder everytime I had one on.

Maybe it's just me but the Samuelsons seem more "British" in sensibility. Lou Rosen mentioned to me that new ownership were tweaking the silhouette a bit to modernize it. For that price, especially at sale time, you really can't beat them. Canvassed, decent fabric, conservative classic design. Other than BB, which isn't me anymore, can't really think of anything else with a similar price/quality ratio.

Luxury suits like Brioni are a different thing altogether. Unless you are making too much money, you probably won't have more than one or two of them in the closet and would only wear them for big occasions. As well as Samuealsohn is made, once you try on a jacket from a suit like this, you can't explain the way it fits. It's almost like crack, but for $5 k a pop, you learn to make do. THE most important thing to remember is fit trumps all. Well fitted modest suits beats poorly fitted luxury suit.

12. KObalto

KObalto Senior member

IRL, we call them "Sonnys." :teach:
    I have seen some very nice fabric on some Samuelsohns.

13. GoldenTribe

GoldenTribe Senior member

Does Samuelsohn have more than one tier of quality? I believe I have seen their suits (or at least jackets) at Winners for less than $300.

14. Achilles_

Achilles_ Senior member

They must. The three piece suit I have is incredible. Tons of pick stitching (even on the vest), very nice fabric, soft shoulders, functioning cuffs, etc

15. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

[​IMG]

I picked up this Samuelsohn MTM suit (made for someone else) for about $170 on eBay. Apparently I have a doppelganger someplace. His name is on the label but is common enough that he'd be hard to track down without more particulars. Fabric is a brown birdseye.

[​IMG]