1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Samuelsohn vs Brioni

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by cbbuff, Jan 3, 2012.

1. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

+1
    though (and thankfully so) I know of no one in real life who refers to Samuelsohn as 'sammy' :)

+1 Well said.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2012
  2. taxgenius

taxgenius Senior member

I don't speak to anyone in real life. SF members are my only friends. :violin:

3. othertravel

othertravel Senior member

It's at Harry's.

4. JTA

JTA Senior member

I like Samuelsohn, they are the maker of my favourite OTR brand (Phineas Cole of Paul Stuart). Represents the best value for your money at retail, while Brioni is a very good brand but expensive. Don't think I'll pay extra few k for them.

5. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

I hope it isn't that bad, and if it is, a very special Happy New Year just for you TG :) I'll be your friend!

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Last edited: Jan 4, 2012
  6. Ivon

Ivon Senior member

Brioni is a different beast. I have a couple of Samuealsohn suits for travel and whatnot. I think Rosen has an annual MTM event with them in Feb/ Mar every year. At those prices, they are cheaper than Canali or Corneliani by a decent margin and comparable to BB at a similar price. I stoppped wearing BB suits for work a long time ago, I felt like Agent Mulder everytime I had one on.

Maybe it's just me but the Samuelsons seem more "British" in sensibility. Lou Rosen mentioned to me that new ownership were tweaking the silhouette a bit to modernize it. For that price, especially at sale time, you really can't beat them. Canvassed, decent fabric, conservative classic design. Other than BB, which isn't me anymore, can't really think of anything else with a similar price/quality ratio.

Luxury suits like Brioni are a different thing altogether. Unless you are making too much money, you probably won't have more than one or two of them in the closet and would only wear them for big occasions. As well as Samuealsohn is made, once you try on a jacket from a suit like this, you can't explain the way it fits. It's almost like crack, but for $5 k a pop, you learn to make do. THE most important thing to remember is fit trumps all. Well fitted modest suits beats poorly fitted luxury suit.

7. KObalto

KObalto Senior member

IRL, we call them "Sonnys." :teach:
    I have seen some very nice fabric on some Samuelsohns.

8. GoldenTribe

GoldenTribe Senior member

Does Samuelsohn have more than one tier of quality? I believe I have seen their suits (or at least jackets) at Winners for less than $300.

9. Achilles_

Achilles_ Senior member

They must. The three piece suit I have is incredible. Tons of pick stitching (even on the vest), very nice fabric, soft shoulders, functioning cuffs, etc

10. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

[​IMG]

I picked up this Samuelsohn MTM suit (made for someone else) for about $170 on eBay. Apparently I have a doppelganger someplace. His name is on the label but is common enough that he'd be hard to track down without more particulars. Fabric is a brown birdseye.

[​IMG]

11. catside

catside Senior member

12. Twotone

Twotone Senior member

Was your suit comparison at Neiman Marcus or Andrisen Morton here in Denver? Good review and I agree -- Samuelsohn is one of the better MTM deals going. I used to be a tried and true Hickey Freeman Mainline suit guy, but their quality has gone down hill over the past few years. Samuelsohn is on the top of my to buy list.

13. MattR

MattR Senior member

FWIW, I bought a Samuelsohn SC off an SF member a number of months ago. The construction is fantastic (and I believe it's one of their "everyday" lines) and I particularly like the fit. One thing I will say is I found the waist to be a little slim, but other than that, I love it.

14. cbbuff

cbbuff Senior member

Andriesen Morton. I expected them to be stuffy/stuck up, but they were very cool and easy going. I was very impressed with their store and will be back.

Quite a bit of nice Isaia and a ton of Cuchinelli as well. A dedicated Zegna room that they are totally redoing.

15. othertravel

othertravel Senior member

Is there a difference in construction between Samuelsohn and Paul Stuart by Samuelsohn? For example, does PS have more handwork or exclusive fabrics?

16. Cant kill da Rooster

Cant kill da Rooster Senior member

^ I would like to know this as well. I will be going into Paul Stuart next month.

Although I can't comment on the thread title as I have only tried on Brioni, I can say I own three pair of Tilford pants. These are Samuelsohn made for Harry Rosen. They are great pants. However, comparing these pants to say Howard Yount (Yount is actually cost less at regular price), I can confirm that Yount is superior in construction and material. Based on this I would speculate the same is true for Brioni.

17. Thrifter

Thrifter Senior member

I regularly pass on Sauelsohn suits at the thrifts that are not my size. Doesn't seem to be an appetite for them on B+S. Hopefully this thread changes that view.

I have a few Sammy SCs that I wear regularly.

18. Achilles_

Achilles_ Senior member

Please get them! (if they are 42/44 R or L)

I am assuming these are patterns/colors that people would actually wear mind you, and that they don't have dated, super wide lapels.

19. cbbuff

cbbuff Senior member

Would someone that that has a Gable in 42R please post the measurements?

Thanks in advance!

20. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

damn, 5'11" and 165 and wearing a 42?

I'm 6', 175 and I wear a 38R/L