Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Samuelsohn suit for $750

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by JFK, May 15, 2004.

1. JFK

JFK Well-Known Member

I'm a newbie at buying high-end clothing; I got Steve's book and have just started to build my wardrobe. (I've had a job for the last 5 years where I could go to work in jeans and a sport shirt, so that's how I dressed most often; as a result, most of the "nice" clothes I have in my closet don't fit me any more...) My first major purchase was this week; a solid navy Hart Schaffner & Marx super 100s suit; if i'd had a little more to spend, i would've gone for a navy chalk-stripe Samuelsohn that i tried on, but it was almost $600 more than the HS&M ($1,395, as opposed to $725). Yesterday, i googled "Samuelsohn", and found the website for a store in Georgia called "Sir Shop", where they list Samuelsohn suits for $750 - I emailed them, and they told me that their stock Samuelsohn suits are 100's to 110's. Does $750 sound reasonable for a Samuelsohn? I wonder why the big difference in price between my local men's store and this one in Georgia? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

2. MikeF

MikeF Senior member

The regular price on a Samuelsohn in Canada, where they're made, is about CAN$1050. That's about US$750, so the price you were quoted is not surprising in the least.

3. JFK

JFK Well-Known Member

thanks, Mike.

4. Steve B.

Steve B. Go Spurs Go

JFK:

Thanks for buying the book, and welcome to the Forum. BTW great picture...

IMO Samuelsohn is a great brand- canvas front, usually goes for $8-900, but worth the same as many labels priced a lot higher. I'd snap it up at $750. The $1350 may be a special edition or fabric.

5. JFK

JFK Well-Known Member

Thanks, Steve; your book is just what I've been looking for. Over the last couple of years I've managed to pick up a few nice pieces, but didn't have a systematic approach to upgrading my wardrobe (although it's something I've been wanting to do). The book gave me a great starting point for that - the shopping guide is particularly helpful - and this forum has been invaluable; lots of great information here.

Kevin