• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 3: Yeossal handwelted shoe with lasted shoe trees

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 2nd auction is for a pair of handwelted shoe with lasted shoe trees courtesy of Yeossal. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Samuelsohn S 120 navy 38R for 316.00

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is what I bought on STP:
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/product.aspx?baseno=52501&CN=Samuelsohn-Beaded-Hairline-Stripe-Suit---Super-120's-Wool--For-Men

I am in great doubt about it's fit. I hope for high arm holes and some waist suppression, but something tells me it's going to be North American sack suit.
I searched forums, but found only general references to the manufacturer quality and nothing specific about fit of its suits.
Does anyone have a good knowledge of Samuelsohn fit?

Appreciate.

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry. Bit of a crap shoot. Some of their lines fit more tailored. Others are more sack-like. I cannot tell from the listing. However, STP does have a good return policy so your exposure is limited.

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by marc237
Sorry. Bit of a crap shoot. Some of their lines fit more tailored. Others are more sack-like. I cannot tell from the listing. However, STP does have a good return policy so your exposure is limited.

It seems to me I have to go with really expensive suit like Isaia for the fit I like. I hate all those alternatives a la designer suits with short but-cleavage jackets.
When I receive Samuelsohn I 'll post my fit review for future generations.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't know of Samuelsohn models that have really high armholes, although I'm also no Samuelsohn expert. As for waist supression, that's the easiest and one of the cheapest things on a suit to adjust. Any decent alterations tailor can add A LOT of waist supression. As a man with a 47" chest, 33" waist, and meaty posterior, I need a fair amount of curvature inwards and then outwards again to avoid the baggy sack suit look (which I don't think is flattering on my build). It's very simple. So if the armholes and the rest of the cut and fabric are to your liking (and I assure you that the construction quality WILL be superb!), you should just have the waist taken in as you like it.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Belvests may fit the way you want. i doubt the samuelsohn, whatever its other virtues, will fit like an italian suit. Belvests, of course, will not cost a lot less than than the isaias...

incognitius

Reaction score
Are you satisfied with the suit? What's the update? Thanks.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I wasn't the OP, but I also ordered this suit. I wouldn't call it "sack-like," but I don't love the fabric, which is my biggest complaint. I'll be sending mine back, I believe.

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by incognitius
Are you satisfied with the suit? What's the update? Thanks.

Thank you STP! The suit arrived in bags marked “38R” which after close examination appeared to be size of the pants and not the actual suit.
)
The suit that I received was 3 sizes too large and was sent back.

As for fabric; I have to say it is acceptable if a little plain and boring.
As for "Austin" model, which is supposed to be the slimmest of Samuelshon’s cuts; it was tailored like a tent. There was no waist suppression at all. Aside from the fact that it is too large for me I don't see this suit complementing the actual size 44R person either.
It is an absolute potato sack.
As far as craftsmanship; I don't claim to be in the know about every little detail of the well made suit, but:
1. Cuff buttonholes are all non-working.
2. There are no button cover on an inside pocket.
3. There are no arm-pit removable patches.
So for 1100.00 retail, this suit has too many shortcuts.
I am glad I am able to return it for a full refund.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 25 3.4%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 129 17.5%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 235 31.9%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 116 15.8%
  • 31 - 40