1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Samuelsohn MTM

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by GradSchooler, Feb 23, 2012.

1. CrimsonSox

CrimsonSox Senior member

Though the RTW models are seasonal, the Andover Shop has MTM fabrics for every season. There's a whole wall of cloth, with rich English flannels and tweeds well represented, including hard to find vintage wool.

Prices on RTW are lower than PRL and Paul Stuart. Their outerwear for winter is excellent -- camelhair polo coats, wool herringbone chesterfields, Barbour field jackets, and tweed overcoats.

2. NeedStyleHelp

NeedStyleHelp Senior member

Is anyone looking to get anything at the next trunk show?

3. LaymanX

LaymanX Senior member

Does anyone have experience with the Performance collection? From their site:

"Created for the Samuelsohn man that is always on the go, the Performance collection provides impeccable suits in lightweight cotton, wools and Loro Piana Rain System© cotton that is wrinkle free and stain resistant. The perfect collection for the travelling man, who does not want to compromise on style or fit."

Any idea how hard wearing this fabric is, or how it drapes?

4. comrade

comrade Senior member

Performance Collection?

Sounds like they've entered the erection dysfunction business.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2013
  5. WiseMenOfGotham

WiseMenOfGotham Well-Known Member

Better late than never :)

(ignore the sleeve corrections, they made a mistake but fixed it when the coat came in as well as some other slight alterations)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. NeedStyleHelp

7. othertravel

othertravel Senior member

Guys, don't forget about the 1923 line that just came out. The trunk show might apply to that as well.

8. WiseMenOfGotham

WiseMenOfGotham Well-Known Member

From what I remember (1.5 years ago), my particular jacket was in the Napoli line of fabrics (I think it was a D fabric so one of the more expensive ones). The base price is 1,000 for a A line fabric (basic solids, pinstripes, etc). With the functional cuffs and horn buttons, I think it came out to $1600 after taxes and 20% discount from Daniel Taylor in Dallas.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2013
  9. NeedStyleHelp

Thanks for the details.

I was just at the Eaton centre trunk show and didn't see what I was looking for. Also found that the prices for suits started at 1300 for 'A' fabrics, a little more than what others have quoted. Nevertheless, I will check out the Harry's Bloor location next weekend, as the SA said there is more selection in fabrics.

10. othertravel

othertravel Senior member

Hey guys,

I'm going to have some pretty big PSAs in the next few weeks. Stay tuned...

11. Frankie22

Frankie22 Senior member

Last edited: Sep 7, 2013
  12. Frankie22

Frankie22 Senior member

13. Aeroneous

Aeroneous New Member

I'll toss in my own experience here. I purchased a Samuelsohn MTM almost a year ago from Johnston's Clothiers in Wichita, KS (similar to Brooks Brothers). There were quite a few fabric choices, and this was the primary cost factor. If I recall correctly, price options went anywhere from $1,000 to well over $2,000. I went with a navy herringbone which ended up costing me about $1,400. There were plenty of customization options, ticket pocket among them, and the gentleman that helped me spent a good two or three hours with me taking some intricate measurements.

The suit was perfect when it arrived. No adjustments were needed and it had a fantastic fit. Though I cannot recall what the turnaround time was, I remember thinking it was quite reasonable.

All that being said, this was my first MTM suit. This being the case, you might want to take my recommendation with a grain of salt (or perhaps a pound..).

Last edited: Sep 8, 2013
  14. Frankie22

Frankie22 Senior member

Best bang for the buck bar none.

15. Frankie22

Frankie22 Senior member

16. Frankie22

Frankie22 Senior member

17. Firefox

Firefox Senior member

I'm tuned, I'm tuned! What's the big news? Samuelsohn is cutting it's prices in half? Well, we can dream can't we...

18. CTLION

CTLION Senior member

I own two Samuelsohn suits made from their Performance line. I am in charge of the growth of the SE USA, Puerto Rico, the Caribbean and South America so I travel quite often. I simply won't fly without a Samuelsohn Performance Suit. It is sleek, light and it flows like a cloud. I like the suit equal to any higher end Italian suit I own. When I bought my first one I said that Iwould never buy another brand. Well two Italian suits later have proved otherwise, but I value the SamuSamuelson as much as any $2000-$4000 suit I own.

19. Firefox

Firefox Senior member

I will be in the market for a new suit in the next several months, and was considering one of the Samuelsohn Performance line as well. More than anything, it seems that they would be versatile. That being said, I've compared the feel of the fabrics in store, and the regular fabrics feel softer and generally "nicer" than the performance fabrics. But that's to be expected, given that the performance fabrics aren't 100% wool (IIRC).

20. CTLION

CTLION Senior member

That is entirely true...if memory serves there is 3-4% Lycra in the thread. The result is a more stretch...not a ton but enough to add comfort. I was wearing my Samuelsohn suit when I was shopping for a Zegna suit in a Zegna shop. The salesman looked me over a couple of times...felt the jacket of my suit and said, "this is my favorite Zegna suit. I have this very suit." I felt a bit like an arse correcting him.

I won't tell anyone to buy one, but I would suggest trying one on and comparing it to other makers or even other Samuelsohn suits. I love them...two of my twelve suits are Samuelsohn suits and I would certainly consider a third.