1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Samuelsohn MTM

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by GradSchooler, Feb 23, 2012.

1. GradSchooler

GradSchooler Senior member

Anyone have any experience with getting Samuelsohn MTM done at Harry Rosen in Toronto? Specifically I'm wondering how flexible they are in terms of styling choices (pick-stitching, roped shoulders, ticket pocket, etc). I'm going to need a couple of interview/work staple suits about this time next year and was thinking of hitting the Samuelsohn trunk show when it rolls around. Wondering if it's easy to get what you want or if you pretty much have to stick to the designs as given?

Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
  2. WiseMenOfGotham

WiseMenOfGotham Well-Known Member

I recently had a Samuelsohn MTM experience in Dallas, TX during the trunk show. I must say I was very impressed with their fabrics, especially some of their "napoli" fabrics. Regarding the style, the Samuelsohn tailor will try on different models they have (I went with the Gable model for its soft shoulders), but they did have a model with roped shoulders. Just explain what "style" of jacket you're looking for and they should have something. In terms of details, I was able to choose the color of my inside jacket lining, functional button cuffs and added a ticket pocket. I think that you will be impressed with the level of customization that can be done. The price point depends on the fabric. Hope this helps.

3. NoCleverName

NoCleverName Senior member

That's good to know, I'm planning on going to a trunk show in Boston in March. Any idea on the turn around time for the suits afterwards?

4. TexasDan

TexasDan Senior member

WiseMen - Where was the trunk show in Dallas?

5. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

The Samuelsohn trunk show just passed through Chicago, which got me to researching their MTM recently. I don't have links handy, but if you search for Samuelsohn MTM on the forum, there are some very informative threads on all your options, the quality and turn around time. Local store told me $1,300 for MTM in basic cloths and about 3 months turn around time.

6. WiseMenOfGotham

WiseMenOfGotham Well-Known Member

God willing, 5 weeks was what I was told for the turn around time. The trunk show in Dallas was at Daniel Taylor Clothiers near the Brooks Brothers downtown. Prices from what I remember: 400+ for pants, 1000+ for sport coats, 1300+ suiting. However, these prices reflect the most basic fabrics without any additions. For example, I had a sport coat made in a mid tier fabric with horn buttons and working cuffs and it came out to about $1600, but they took 20% off for the trunk show. Also, they did have Zegna and Lora Piana fabrics available.

Also when dealing with MTM or bespoke in my experience, it is better to get just one type of item when you're trying out someone for the first time to see how it comes out, versus ordering a bunch of stuff only to find out that it's not what you wanted.

7. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

Sorry, 12 weeks came from a thread on this forum. Price ($1,300) came from store. Store did not know turn around time, and I did not attend the trunk show.

8. othertravel

othertravel Senior member

Sammy's is usually 5 weeks.

9. NoCleverName

NoCleverName Senior member

Excellent, I'm hoping to use the suit twice in June and I'd like to leave a little time for tailoring if it ends up being necessary. (Hopefully not much since it's MTM)

10. JeffsWood

JeffsWood Senior member

Done lots of Sammy MTM at Harry's. Turn around is 3-8weeks for me. Lots of fabric choices, lots of options (for more $). Low end is $950, high end could be $2K I figure.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
  11. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

Does not compute!

Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
  12. GradSchooler

GradSchooler Senior member

Thanks all for the info. Keep it coming!

Is that for the trunk show or in general? Also, when you say "options (for more $), do you mean fabric choices or do you mean they charge extra for horn buttons, pick stitching, roped shoulders etc.?

Lol. I'm in academia, so the fact that I would be wearing a suit at all is quite something. It's definitely not a CBD environment.

13. othertravel

othertravel Senior member

The Canadian prices are slightly lower than in the US (I saw them start at $1050). Pricing is based on fabric, and they are organized from A to G or something. ('A' fabrics are the cheapest).

So yes, price depends on fabric. They also have some Holland and Sherry fabrics available too.

14. Legal Eagle

Legal Eagle Well-Known Member

Apparently, Sammy does not offer a DB, peak lapel vest. I just heard from the trunk show rep who is in town at Fitzgerald's here in GR. It is available to do as a custom order item, though. Anyone have any experience in doing Samuelsohn MTM and deviating from the stock or default options, particularly with vests? I assume it might be pretty risky, cost factor aside. Wondering if I am better with Greenfield or PRL. Also need to make sure I can get a nice, soft shoulder.

15. Off My Rack

Off My Rack Senior member

I just ordered from a Sammy trunk show 2 weeks ago. Turnaround time right now is at 5 weeks. When looking through the options to choose a vest, I did not see a DB peak lapel option. I mentioned doing a DB vest to the store owner, and he stated that it was a bit too dandy-ish for him. He suggested that I wait on the DB idea to see if I still want it on my next order, but made no suggestion that it couldn't be done (Samuelsohn has been his main supplier for years - I figure that if anyone would know it couldn't be done, he would).

Also, there are multiple Sammy offerings with soft shoulders. I tried on at least 3 different styles with varying soft shoulder options.

16. Legal Eagle

Good to know on the soft shoulders. Wonder how they compare to the PRL Blue Label soft shoulders. I will check out the trunk show tonight. My primary concerns are that: a) I don't know how much this one-off creation will cost and b) I don't know how well it will be executed. I have to believe that, at some point, Sammy has done this vest before. It isn't as though I am asking for something that is completely unheard of. Also Greenfield and PRL offer it is as a stock option. I do want to insist on getting a MTM with a DB, peak vest because it is for my wedding and truly want something special.

17. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

I have a Samuelsohn Gable and that model has a very natural shoulder. My favorite suit.

18. Legal Eagle

Gable, I will check that one out then. I take it most people just order what is shown in the sketch books then.

19. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

Mine is not MTM, but it's a great cut for my build. Natural shoulders, athletic/slim cut.

20. Legal Eagle

Well, just got back from the trunk show. Ended up plunking down a deposit. Dorian was the Sammy rep that measured me. Boy, was he knowledgeable! Adjusting for longer left arm, arms set back from shoulders, 43 inch chest on a 42 body jacket, 37 inch pants on a 36 inch waist band to allow more room in the seat and hips, etc. Ended up going with a deep charcoal, faint herringbone 120s, 8 3/4 oz "A" fabric from Barberis. Seemed pretty nice and should have an excellent drape. Went with the Gable jacket, working buttonholes, horn buttons, eggplant small paisley liner (coordinates with bridesmaid dresses), and eggplant and cream striped sleeve lining. I think the pants were an L7?, slightly slimmer, double forward pleat with D rings.

They said they can in fact do a double breasted peak lapel vest w/ 4 welt pockets, as they have a customer that orders it all the time. They will get me a photo and sketch by Monday before putting the order through, just to make sure I am 100 percent happy with the vest style.

I left feeling pretty confident. It may not have the handwork of Martin Greenfield, but it was a fair amount less in cost.

Now just need to work on a MTM white collar pin dress shirt, some braces, and my tie. Already plan on wearing the AE Fifth Street bal boots that I picked up a month back.