• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Samuelsohn MTM

Lowndes

Reaction score
Hi, after a lot of research and trying on various suits I think I have decided to return my Brooks Brothers Fitzgerald suits that I have previously purchased and go the MTM route. Out of all the suits that I have tried on I liked the Zegna the most but at over $2200 it seemed a little too expensive. Instead I am going to get a Navy and Charcoal Samuelsohn suit made at The Hound in San Francisco. It seems like a pretty good deal for around $1200 a suit.

My question is whether there is anything I should be particularly aware of during my first MTM purchase? Anything you wish you knew the first time you did MTM? I really like the British look so am going to try to get that across and hope they know what I am talking about. Any advice you could provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Lowndes

Reaction score
Sorry, another question I had was if anybody is familiar with Samuelsohn models what are some of their slimmer fitting models? In particular, what are the names of the models that have a silhouette similar to a British style? Just trying to know a little more before I go in. Thanks

Mike4488

Reaction score
My memory isn't great but I think the talbot and Austin model might be what you are after. I believe both of these are slimmer fitting. Hopefully somebody more knowledgable will chime in. Also, I believe I read a post about you interests in Zegna suits. I remember trying on a Sammy and Zegna Milano back to back and they were very similar but I can't remember the model. The guys at the store should be able to help you with that. Best of luck.

SlamMan

Reaction score
The sales people should be familar with the different models. If they have some RTW models just try some on to get an idea about the fit you want. That's what I did at least. I just received my first Samuelsohn MTM. Of course just do one suit the first time around. Inevitably you'll want to make some changes and you don't want multiple suits that could be better.

rajesh06

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dlion0721
Instead I am going to get a Navy and Charcoal Samuelsohn suit made at The Hound in San Francisco. It seems like a pretty good deal for around $1200 a suit.

Are you sure you can get MTM at $1200. When I briefly looked into Samuelsohn - I thought the RTW were around $1200 - but that the MTM program had a significant up charge.

Lowndes

Reaction score
Yes, $1200 is what they start at. Well, I believe they start less but for what I told the guy he said it'll probably be about $1200 or so. I'm prepared to spend more though. Probably up to about $1600.

This is all at The Hound in San Francisco. Also, their RTW starts below $1000 from what I have seen.

Jthaeler

Reaction score
I own several Sammy MTMs and they are all very well fitting suits. The price break comes from A, B, and C fabrics (mainly thread counts). I would also recommend Hart Schaffner and Marx MTMs. They are very comparable.

tamper

Reaction score
I just ordered a samuelsohn (at Harry Rosen) my first MTM a week ago at here in Toronto.

Don't be afraid to ask questions. Be sure to tell them how you use your suits, it will affect the advice they give you on fabrics. (I'm hard on clothes, sales lady suggested more durable fabrics) If you know what you want you might want, or have questions to ask, it might be good to write down some notes before going in. You'll be given so many choices (style, cloth, lining) that you might forget something. I forgot to ask about surgeon cuffs.

I had the great experience of having three opinions during the measurement. I went during a trunk show. My saleslady, a tape man for that HR location and this great old guy from the factory. The tape man and the Sammy factory guy got into an animated discussion about whether my right shoulder was lower than the left and how much space i needed in the seat of my pants, what the length of jacket should be. The slightly round Sammy guy had a great line regarding fitting my plump midsection and butt "I keep hoping too, but its probably not going away. So lets leave room, they can take it in if something happens."

I chose the Alton model (the shoulder roping is flattering on me) in a navy in the cheapest cloth range. Length made halfway between Regular and Short, shoulders were widened a half size, low right shoulder compensated for, the body made more fitted, and the pants were adjusted for my butt and thighs. Can't wait to see how it turns out.

Lowndes

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tamper
I just ordered a samuelsohn (at Harry Rosen) my first MTM a week ago at here in Toronto.

Don't be afraid to ask questions. Be sure to tell them how you use your suits, it will affect the advice they give you on fabrics. (I'm hard on clothes, sales lady suggested more durable fabrics) If you know what you want you might want, or have questions to ask, it might be good to write down some notes before going in. You'll be given so many choices (style, cloth, lining) that you might forget something. I forgot to ask about surgeon cuffs.

I had the great experience of having three opinions during the measurement. I went during a trunk show. My saleslady, a tape man for that HR location and this great old guy from the factory. The tape man and the Sammy factory guy got into an animated discussion about whether my right shoulder was lower than the left and how much space i needed in the seat of my pants, what the length of jacket should be. The slightly round Sammy guy had a great line regarding fitting my plump midsection and butt "I keep hoping too, but its probably not going away. So lets leave room, they can take it in if something happens."

I chose the Alton model (the shoulder roping is flattering on me) in a navy in the cheapest cloth range. Length made halfway between Regular and Short, shoulders were widened a half size, low right shoulder compensated for, the body made more fitted, and the pants were adjusted for my butt and thighs. Can't wait to see how it turns out.

Thanks for the reply. I definitely have been writing down little things to see what they can do for me. One thing I am wondering and maybe there is a word for it is when trousers get slimmer past the knee and then it almost appears like a little bit of a boot cut at the end, what is that called? Does it actually exist or has it really just been an allusion. I felt like the pants on the Zegna suit I tried on the other day did this. If possible I would like to explain this to the store because I really liked the look.

Thanks again.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The new Samuelsohn suit body is called the Gable (Geo at Harry Rosen). It's much slimmer, very soft shoulders, higher armholes, shorter jacket... than the traditional Sammy cuts. I love it. I sized up to a 39R when 38R in Austin are roomy (Altons are huge).

Also, check out the Essex if you want a more British cut w/lots of waist suppression, soft shoulders w/some roping, high gorge...

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tamper

Good luck, lets see how it turns out. Sammy is a top notch company!

tamper

Reaction score
Originally Posted by EL72
The new Samuelsohn suit body is called the Gable (Geo at Harry Rosen). It's much slimmer, very soft shoulders, higher armholes, shorter jacket... than the traditional Sammy cuts. I love it. I sized up to a 39R when 38R in Austin are roomy (Altons are huge).

Also, check out the Essex if you want a more British cut w/lots of waist suppression, soft shoulders w/some roping, high gorge...

Yeah the Alton fits huge in the chest and abdomen, I took a size down (from 41 to 40) in this jacket and the rep increased the drop another inch to make it fit my form. This is saying something cuz I'm a bit paunchy. The shoulders were almost perfect though.

I tried on the Geo and liked it a lot. Fits like a Euro fashion brand. I didn't want to have one as mainstay work suit though. Maybe I'll get a blazer in this style in the fall, cash flow willing. They told me that Geo/Gable has a 7 inch drop by default where the rest of the line is 6.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads