• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Samuelsohn Dinner Jackets

pwhinson

Reaction score
I'm looking for a formal jacket I can wear to a small New Year's eve party - there will be alot of variation in what men will wear to the party i.e. its not a total black tie event so there's no "uniform." I'd also like something a little different that I might wear to the symphony and opera which here in Atlanta means I can wear virtually anything I want. Both are - to me - very handsome jackets and each entirely different from the other. Opinions on the jackets, appropriateness of black bows, suggestions for shirts (formal - bibb style, or just a nice high end spread collar woven white dress shirt?). I'm not particularly bound to a traditional look but it seems to me both jackets would look better with black bows.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those Look like evening sports coats rather than anything formal. They remind me of waiters and members of low end dance bands from the 1950s and 1960s. Not a look to be recommended.

The function either merits evening dress or it does not, certainly not some form of cheap cross over.

pwhinson

Reaction score
Any other opinions? I ended up wearing my regular tux to the party but these are now on sale and I like them both before so I like them even more now. I've always liked Samuelsohn - I have four of their cashmere jackets. Of the dinner jackets above, the black watch notch lapel jacket was feature on the cover of their website lookbook's "inauguration" page. I do like the piece - the black watch pattern is very very dark which I like but I think the overall effect - perhaps partially due to the lack of peak lapels - is more like a sportcoat. Strange. I want to like it but.... To add insult to injury the notch lapels are made more subdued by grosgrain - not satin, which I suppose is fine, but the rear part of the lapels are construction with the same fabric as the body of the jacket. Its not bad really, its just all a bit too subtle. Strange it would end up as a featured product on the cover of their lookbook. As for the other one, its also very very dark and I would prefer that it not have the tonal stripes but over all I do really like it and for a change of pace I may bite on that one. Its only $500 and change, its for the money, the quality and attention to detail in the jacket is really grand.

Again, - any other opinions? Still trying to make up my mind between the two.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads