• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sam's tailor in hong kong for custom suits

markr

Reaction score
I saw this write-up on Sam's Tailor on the Forbes website (which also profiles WW Chan). Â http://www.forbes.com/2001/08/02/hongkongshops_6.html I was wondering if anybody knows anything about this outfit (according to Sam's website, they're world-renowned and something of a tourist destination). According to Forbes, the suits are much lower priced than Chan's ($300 vs. $800) and Forbes was pretty high on them. Â Sam's website focuses on their celebrity clientele and hardly mentions their suits at all. Â Given the price differential (assuming Sam's $300 suit is, in fact, comparable to Chan's $800 version), it might justify a trip to HK (whether to get a suit/suits from Sam's or another outfit) rather than going with WW Chan on one of their US tours. Â Any thoughts?

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sam's is not comparable to Chan and is most definitely a tourist destination more than anything.  I am quite impressed that Sam has managed to get pictures with so many famous individuals, but I'd bet money that was their one and only visit to Sam's.

I do speak from experience as I had a tuxedo made at Chan's at the same time a friend had one made at Sam's.  There really is no comparison.  Chan is a true tailor while Sam is only a notch above all the guys plying Western tourists with offers for $200 suits as soon as they step off the Star Ferry in Kowloon.

Do a search in the archives for discussions of Chan's work.  There are several threads that speak to the handwork that goes into their jackets.

Also, Chan was offering suits for $730 in Vitale Barberis super 130's during their last trip, so a respectable suit can certainly be had from them for $800 or less.

Regards,

dan

markr

Reaction score
Thanks Dan. I'll schedule an appointment with Chan's the next time they're in town. I'm still interested in the idea of a shopping trip to HK, though.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's not a bad idea, but IMO, the only real clothing bargains to be had are in tailored clothing. Luxury brands just as much or more expensive over there. An advantage to ordering from Chan while in HK is that they will do multiple fittings so you end up with a true bespoke fit rather than the MTM fit you'd get by ordering from them on a US trip.

If you do go, stop by Janzten for shirts. I don't have any shirts from them yet, but they get great reviews here for their $43 shirts.

dan

MPS

Reaction score
Sam's gets alot of expat custom, and it isn't simply a tourist trap. The quality of their suits is largely dependent upon the client.

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just doing some forum necromancy here to say that GQ has an article on Sam's, for whatever that's worth.

I found out that I have enough miles to go to Hong Kong. I'm going to save up for a trip sometime in the summer and visit Chan's.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
in my humble opinion,if I were going shopping in the east, it wouldn't be in hong kong. not that hong kong is a bad place, but you get more bang for your buck in bankok - your hotel is cheaper, food is cheaper and possibly better, more temples and strippers to see.

rlevine

Reaction score
I agree with most of what has been said here. Sam gets more press than any one - when Clinton was in HK he had a suit done there. But I've heard that the quality is not so good.

I'd just like to add that I am from Hong Kong, it is a great place, and you will love it.

For shirts, I have heard Ascot Chang and David's Shirts are the best. I had a shirt made by the latter and it is wonderful.

Horace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sam's gets alot of expat custom, and it isn't simply a tourist trap. The quality of their suits is largely dependent upon the client.
I've lived in HK as have many friends and family. We all patronize Sams.

Sams is a classic expat place. I don't think the quality is like some of the others -- and perhaps it depends upon client as MPS notes.

But Sams is great for trousers, knock-about or otherwise. They are (or were) such a good deal that many expats, with varying amounts of funds, would patronize the place.

I've had suits, trousers and shirts made. I always thought they were good. But others no doubt have more knowledge on these matters.

cdmoore1855

Reaction score
They pay a lot of money for advertising, the quality of the stuff from Indian/**** tailors in HK is generally poor. The vast majority don't have their own HK workers, its all done in Shenzhen using couriers to run back and forth.

You will find some more informative threads on hear mentioning they practice a bait and switch tactic on the cloth you pick.

How the hell they get pics with so many famous people is beyond me, I can compare it to several tourist trap Italian restaurants near Times Square in NYC, those that need to show you famous people who ate there on the wall are generally the lower quality places. It means nothing showing me that a famous person came once, what matter is that he becomes a regular.

Mr Aaron Mah, style forum members come here for input from fellow members who can give accurate information about the quality of certain tailors and garment manufacturers. You having posted 4 replies to different threads with the same content does not give any credability to your recommendation. The credibility becomes worse when I do a quick google search and find that the owner of Himark Tailors is a gentlemen called Aroon Mahtani. Hmm Aaron Mah Aroon Mahtani ?, please don't insult our inteligence

Colnago

Reaction score
I have had a suit, sport coat and a few shirts made at Sams. It is ok, but no where near Chan or the better bespoke options you can find in the US and Europe. To be fair, the price is much less as well. I would not go back and order more, but I have got some good use out of the items I had them make.

hope this helps.

Reaction score
Everything depends on what you want: a cheap suit, beautiful fabric, expert tailoring, great fit? Each requires a different solution. I have suits from Chan, Sam, and Dave Tailor. The handwork in Chan's product is much, much better than Dave, and Sam is the least well-made. If price is the issue, go with Sam. If beautiful tailoring is the issue, go with Chan. If you want a compromise, go with Dave. If you are a standard size and can wear off-the-rack, a discounted Brioni or Isaia or Oxxford, bought on Ebay or Style Forum at around $800-$1000, will give you a much better-made suit than Sam or even Dave.
Bottom line is that unless you have long experience and many repeat visits, even Savile Row bespoke requires adjustments when you get back to the States, so if you can wear ready-to-wear with just a few alterations, then that is the most efficient route to high-end clothing and the best price.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dire tailor who makes his money from gullible tourists.

Decent suits come from Gordon Yao, Chan and Y William Yu.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^Aren't A-Man Hing Cheong and H. Baroman also rated highly?

At a lower price point, I've seen one or two suits from Baron Kay posted in the fora that looked pretty decent.

Of course, I am a dyed-in-the-wool Chanfan!

cdmoore1855

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
^Aren't A-Man Hing Cheong and H. Baroman also rated highly?

At a lower price point, I've seen one or two suits from Baron Kay posted in the fora that looked pretty decent.

Of course, I am a dyed-in-the-wool Chanfan!

I think A-Man make a good suit, I have a couple and they fit really well. The stiching on the button holes is no where near Chan's level though. That is their only drawback in my opinion

Price wise they are fairly close

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads