• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Same sportcoat every day?

izlat

Reaction score
I just got (what I think is) a nice one from Jos A Bank ($75 reduced from 595) - here in a different color - and am wondering if it's acceptable to leave it at work and wear there pretty much every day with odd pants, khakis, and jeans? Of course, I'd wear a suit when I have to
smile.gif

I am trying to reduce my consumerism and have only a limited wardrobe (and other things) - just what I *really* need - but am not sure about the *etiquette*. I have seen (older) people in Europe wear the same everyday coat pretty much all the time, but how about the US? If I have to alternate several sportcoats - are 2 or 3 enough?

Thanks

cvac

Reaction score
I suppose that depends what you mean by "wear every day". If you mean keep the jacket at work and only put in on when absolutely necessary because you're meeting with someone important, etc. then that should be fine. If you mean you will wear the coat walking around and sitting at your desk everyday I would say definitely not.

izlat

Reaction score
in my case - it would just be walking around, on an off during the day - instead of a sweater or cardigan. For meeting clients I'd probably wear something else.

So why definitely not? - and is alternating 2 or 3 OK?

I am thinking it would be practical to just leave one there and still look better than the average sweater...

forsbergacct2000

Reaction score
It all depends on how often you will wear it. You certainly don't want your sport coat to be known as the "item he ALWAYS wears." I would think you could have two or three sport coats and not waste too many of our planet's resources.

Orsini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by izlat
...and am wondering if it's acceptable to leave it at work and wear there pretty much every day with odd pants, khakis, and jeans?...
I am afraid I do not fancy this idea. People (including management) will notice and, in time, the garment will tend to acquire an aroma...
I have seen (older) people in Europe wear the same everyday coat pretty much all the time, but how about the US?...
Old people in California, USA wear the same clothes all the time because they are poor.

izlat

Reaction score
Originally Posted by forsbergacct2000
It all depends on how often you will wear it. You certainly don't want your sport coat to be known as the "item he ALWAYS wears." I would think you could have two or three sport coats and not waste too many of our planet's resources.

You are absolutely right! But for me this is also an attitude adjustment: work on getting by with very little and trim down what's not needed. E.g. I don't need 10 pairs of jeans, 2 are just about plenty. I don't need 20 pairs of shoes, 5-6 should suffice. (The math doesn't hold for everything, of course - just some examples)

In this line, I don't mind at all being the guy who wears the same sportcoat every day, unless it's considered very unhygienic and cheap - which is what I am asking here. I don't want to be considered either of these. If it turns out that 2 or 3 is necessary - I'd use 2 or 3
smile.gif

Thanks!

izlat

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Orsini
I am afraid I do not fancy this idea. People (including management) will notice and, in time, the garment will tend to acquire an aroma...
Old people wear the same clothes all the time because they are poor.

Thank you for the notes - I am not sure I agree, because there are English guys who wear the same tweed for ages and are definitely not poor - but I see your points, and I don't want people or management to think I'm too poor or cheap, let alone notice smells (other than cologne)

HHD

Reaction score
You can only get away with wearing the same thing every day if you are the IT guy. Get one or two more.

I'm trying to cut down my wardrobe too (reduce consumerism, as you say) but the current economic climate has given me pause for thought... what if things get really bad, like 1930s bad, and in 2012 I'm standing shoeless in the soup queue thinking, "if I hadn't thrown out all those clothes in 2008, I wouldn't be freezing my arse off now."

Mr T

Reaction score
Your wardrobe and goals would be better served returning your new coat and instead buying 3 used coats or blazers from a thrift store.

Aluan

Reaction score
If I wanted to wear the same sportcoat every day, it would be a navy blazer, not a plaid sportcoat. Plaid's much more memorable than a solid navy blazer.

forsbergacct2000

Reaction score
You are absolutely right! But for me this is also an attitude adjustment: work on getting by with very little and trim down what's not needed. E.g. I don't need 10 pairs of jeans, 2 are just about plenty. I don't need 20 pairs of shoes, 5-6 should suffice. (The math doesn't hold for everything, of course - just some examples)

In this line, I don't mind at all being the guy who wears the same sportcoat every day, unless it's considered very unhygienic and cheap - which is what I am asking here. I don't want to be considered either of these. If it turns out that 2 or 3 is necessary - I'd use 2 or 3
smile.gif

Thanks!

You may not mind being the guy who is known for wearing the same sportcoat every day, but being that guy will not help you at all socially in your organization (or any organization.) It's a free country and you can do as you wish, I suppose.

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by forsbergacct2000
You may not mind being the guy who is known for wearing the same sportcoat every day, but being that guy will not help you at all socially in your organization (or any organization.) It's a free country and you can do as you wish, I suppose.

Welcome to the board Fors. good to see you here.

Egdon Heath

Reaction score
In this line, I don't mind at all being the guy who wears the same sportcoat every day, unless it's considered very unhygienic and cheap.
I think you are unhygenic and cheap and I haven't even seen you in the coat.​

TheFusilliJerry

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Aluan
If I wanted to wear the same sportcoat every day, it would be a navy blazer, not a plaid sportcoat. Plaid's much more memorable than a solid navy blazer.

there is your answer

mike540

Reaction score
I have a guy in my office who does this. Same black sportcoat, white shirt and yellow tie, (askew with the top button undone) everyday. People notice and not in a good way.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads