• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Same sportcoat every day?

izlat

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 20, 2008
Messages
265
Reaction score
0
I just got (what I think is) a nice one from Jos A Bank ($75 reduced from 595) - here in a different color - and am wondering if it's acceptable to leave it at work and wear there pretty much every day with odd pants, khakis, and jeans? Of course, I'd wear a suit when I have to


I am trying to reduce my consumerism and have only a limited wardrobe (and other things) - just what I *really* need - but am not sure about the *etiquette*. I have seen (older) people in Europe wear the same everyday coat pretty much all the time, but how about the US? If I have to alternate several sportcoats - are 2 or 3 enough?

Thanks
 

cvac

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 28, 2007
Messages
433
Reaction score
8
I suppose that depends what you mean by "wear every day". If you mean keep the jacket at work and only put in on when absolutely necessary because you're meeting with someone important, etc. then that should be fine. If you mean you will wear the coat walking around and sitting at your desk everyday I would say definitely not.
 

izlat

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 20, 2008
Messages
265
Reaction score
0
in my case - it would just be walking around, on an off during the day - instead of a sweater or cardigan. For meeting clients I'd probably wear something else.

So why definitely not? - and is alternating 2 or 3 OK?

I am thinking it would be practical to just leave one there and still look better than the average sweater...
 

forsbergacct2000

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 20, 2008
Messages
807
Reaction score
3
It all depends on how often you will wear it. You certainly don't want your sport coat to be known as the "item he ALWAYS wears." I would think you could have two or three sport coats and not waste too many of our planet's resources.
 

Orsini

Distinguished Member
Joined
Nov 8, 2007
Messages
1,358
Reaction score
21
Originally Posted by izlat
...and am wondering if it's acceptable to leave it at work and wear there pretty much every day with odd pants, khakis, and jeans?...
I am afraid I do not fancy this idea. People (including management) will notice and, in time, the garment will tend to acquire an aroma...
Originally Posted by izlat
I have seen (older) people in Europe wear the same everyday coat pretty much all the time, but how about the US?...
Old people in California, USA wear the same clothes all the time because they are poor.
 

izlat

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 20, 2008
Messages
265
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by forsbergacct2000
It all depends on how often you will wear it. You certainly don't want your sport coat to be known as the "item he ALWAYS wears." I would think you could have two or three sport coats and not waste too many of our planet's resources.

You are absolutely right! But for me this is also an attitude adjustment: work on getting by with very little and trim down what's not needed. E.g. I don't need 10 pairs of jeans, 2 are just about plenty. I don't need 20 pairs of shoes, 5-6 should suffice. (The math doesn't hold for everything, of course - just some examples)

In this line, I don't mind at all being the guy who wears the same sportcoat every day, unless it's considered very unhygienic and cheap - which is what I am asking here. I don't want to be considered either of these. If it turns out that 2 or 3 is necessary - I'd use 2 or 3


Thanks!
 

izlat

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 20, 2008
Messages
265
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by Orsini
I am afraid I do not fancy this idea. People (including management) will notice and, in time, the garment will tend to acquire an aroma...
Old people wear the same clothes all the time because they are poor.


Thank you for the notes - I am not sure I agree, because there are English guys who wear the same tweed for ages and are definitely not poor - but I see your points, and I don't want people or management to think I'm too poor or cheap, let alone notice smells (other than cologne)
 

HHD

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 31, 2008
Messages
810
Reaction score
5
You can only get away with wearing the same thing every day if you are the IT guy. Get one or two more.

I'm trying to cut down my wardrobe too (reduce consumerism, as you say) but the current economic climate has given me pause for thought... what if things get really bad, like 1930s bad, and in 2012 I'm standing shoeless in the soup queue thinking, "if I hadn't thrown out all those clothes in 2008, I wouldn't be freezing my arse off now."
 

Mr T

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 21, 2007
Messages
924
Reaction score
1
Your wardrobe and goals would be better served returning your new coat and instead buying 3 used coats or blazers from a thrift store.
 

Aluan

Well-Known Member
Joined
Apr 27, 2008
Messages
98
Reaction score
1
If I wanted to wear the same sportcoat every day, it would be a navy blazer, not a plaid sportcoat. Plaid's much more memorable than a solid navy blazer.
 

forsbergacct2000

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 20, 2008
Messages
807
Reaction score
3
Originally Posted by izlat
You are absolutely right! But for me this is also an attitude adjustment: work on getting by with very little and trim down what's not needed. E.g. I don't need 10 pairs of jeans, 2 are just about plenty. I don't need 20 pairs of shoes, 5-6 should suffice. (The math doesn't hold for everything, of course - just some examples)

In this line, I don't mind at all being the guy who wears the same sportcoat every day, unless it's considered very unhygienic and cheap - which is what I am asking here. I don't want to be considered either of these. If it turns out that 2 or 3 is necessary - I'd use 2 or 3


Thanks!


You may not mind being the guy who is known for wearing the same sportcoat every day, but being that guy will not help you at all socially in your organization (or any organization.) It's a free country and you can do as you wish, I suppose.
 

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Joined
May 11, 2006
Messages
4,553
Reaction score
23
Originally Posted by forsbergacct2000
You may not mind being the guy who is known for wearing the same sportcoat every day, but being that guy will not help you at all socially in your organization (or any organization.) It's a free country and you can do as you wish, I suppose.

Welcome to the board Fors. good to see you here.
 

Egdon Heath

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 10, 2006
Messages
588
Reaction score
129
Originally Posted by izlat
In this line, I don't mind at all being the guy who wears the same sportcoat every day, unless it's considered very unhygienic and cheap.
.
I think you are unhygenic and cheap and I haven't even seen you in the coat.​
 

TheFusilliJerry

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 2, 2008
Messages
852
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by Aluan
If I wanted to wear the same sportcoat every day, it would be a navy blazer, not a plaid sportcoat. Plaid's much more memorable than a solid navy blazer.

there is your answer
 

mike540

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 13, 2008
Messages
172
Reaction score
2
I have a guy in my office who does this. Same black sportcoat, white shirt and yellow tie, (askew with the top button undone) everyday. People notice and not in a good way.
 

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Most Interesting Fashion Collaboration of 2020

  • JW Anderson x Uniqlo

  • Nigo x Virgil Abloh

  • Converse x Midnight Studios

  • Rick Owens x Champion

  • Barbour x Engineered Garments

  • Adidas x Bed JW Ford

  • Jordan Brand x Dior

  • Billie Eilish x Takashi Murakami

  • Lego x Levi's


Results are only viewable after voting.

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
446,415
Messages
9,654,310
Members
201,736
Latest member
sufishoes
Top