• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Same shoe in different leathers

kolecho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am considering ordering a wholecut design in the same last in several different types of leather - namely calf, cordovan and suede in brown, burgundy and dark brown respectively. I have never done so before, but I am partial to wholecut.

What do you think? Is this temporary insanity?

Thurston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
images%2Fproducts%2Falden05%2FALD%2DTASMOC%2DL%2Ejpg

I have it in burgundy and black shell under the BB label and as Alden's 666 in suede. When I find things I like, I stick with them.

images%2Fproducts%2Falden05%2F666%2Dl%2Ejpg

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kolecho
I am considering ordering a wholecut design in the same last in several different types of leather - namely calf, cordovan and suede in brown, burgundy and dark brown respectively. I have never done so before, but I am partial to wholecut.

No; it's a good idea if you really, really like the shoe. I have the EG Newbury (maybe my alltime favorite shoe--at least to this point!) in burgundy calf and mink suede, and am thinking of adding burnt pine. However, the two I have are on different lasts--the calf on the 888 and the suede on the 606--and only the calf has broguing.

If you're including cordovan, I suspect you are considering Vass. Since cordovan is in the mix, you will want to be careful in the design you select, since I doubt that it would look great in a very elegant, trim, sleek shoe. So, in my opinion at least, a U-last shoe like the Oxford Medallion would look good in calf and suede, but not in cordovan. The 3-eyelet London, however, could probably work in all three, as could shoes on other, larger-scale, lasts.

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
i would go for it and not worry if they are comfortable then why not but maybe on some you could have a pattern punched in the toe cap also not only color change!

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is perfectly fine, so long as we're not talking about similar shades of brown.

For example, I own the RLPL Mackay in both black and dark oak and they're fine by me, and I don't suppose this would be a reason for me not to, say, get a third in Edwardian or light tan.

TKDKid

Reaction score

- although this was more due to not being able to resist a bargain than intentionally getting the same model in different leathers.
blush.gif

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
With the variety of EG lasts and hides , it's quite easy to amass multiples. Here are a few of mine...

Dover 4x
Malvern 4x
Mackay/Asquith 4x
Ecton/Carter 2x
Newbury 3x
Southwold 2x
Berkeley 3x
Chelsea 2x

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kolecho

1. Do you like the style?
  2. Do you like the leathers?
  3. Will you wear them

If your answer is "yes" to all three above, then you should proceed with your order as quickly as possible so you can enjoy your shoes sooner rather than later!

There's nothing at all wrong with this. I do it. Men's lace-ups really come in only three basic styles: wingtip, cap toe, and plain toe. Perforations and instep design (Blucher/Bal) add a little variety. But who's going to notice that these are variations on the exact same design and last? And even if someone did, who would think poorly of your choice? Different leathers provide enough separation that it just won't matter. Therefore, if you find something you really like, go for it and enjoy in good health!

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aportnoy
With the variety of EG lasts and hides , it's quite easy to amass multiples. Here are a few of mine...

Dover 4x
Malvern 4x
Mackay/Asquith 4x
Ecton/Carter 2x
Newbury 3x
Southwold 2x
Berkeley 3x
Chelsea 2x

I do believe I've said this before, but allow me to say it again.....

I hate you.
plain.gif

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Consistency in footwear isn't necessarily a bad thing in menswear. We definitely have fewer choices in the style department as compared to women, with a relatively finite number of permutations. Personally, I think these constraints provide a helpful framework. Many posters appear to favor specific brands and lasts--notables include JLibourel and his AEs in the Old #8 last and #4 last, Aportnoy and his seemingless endless collection of EG, Ken Pollock and his American-made collection, etc. With considerations to both fit and price point in my own rotation, I've found that Crockett and Jones benchgrade are the best choice for me--specifically the 238, 318, and Polo chisel last reminscent of the 337, and bought everything I could find in those particular fits. This periodically leads to redundancies. With variances in color and/or brouging, the shoes are similar but clearly not identical. Actually, I've found that shoes of similar color and toecap design, are less distinguishable than shoes differentiated by leather type.

Btw, I own two shell cordovan bluchers made by Crockett and Jones. Same leather, same style, different lasts. Interestingly, the creasing pattern and width actually influence their roles in my rotation. Its obsessive but makes sense to me.
smile.gif

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think that it is fine to get several of the same shoe in different leathers. Personally, it is not something that I do.

That being said, I do not think that wholecuts look particularly good in suede, and I think that Roger is correct that they would not be very good in cordovan.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads