• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sam Malouf

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got a postcard that Sam Malouf is opening a store in Burlingame, CA in the next month or so. Sam used to run his family business, Malouf's, in Burlingame before they closed.

Sam is a very nice and knowledgeable person and will give a 20% discount on MTM clothes-at least he used to. Hope he makes it. www.sammalouf.com

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Interesting. Thanks for the heads up!

calisanfran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yea, was at some family friend's last weekend who live in san mateo and have some stores in burlingame downtown. they also mentioned that malouf is going to be starting a clothing store in b'game downtown. curious to see what they carry.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They just closed their store last fall.
So they, or just Sam, is in effect re-opening.
I never really liked the old place- too flashy
for me. But they did carry better than average
merchandise.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Burlingame has a good rugby club ...from memory ..right

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by comrade
They just closed their store last fall.
So they, or just Sam, is in effect re-opening.
I never really liked the old place- too flashy
for me. But they did carry better than average
merchandise.

I thought the old place was a bit "old world charm." The yare going to carry Kiton, Loro Piana, Zegna, Cucinelli and others.

thatguymj

Reaction score
I had the pleasure of visting Sam Malouf recently and was VERY impressed with the store. Sam did an amazing job and if you live in the Bay Area and enjoy high end mens clothing brands, you have to go check it out. Sam is a great guy and is very knowledgable about fashion. He stocks Kiton, Zenga, Loro, Cucinelli, etc for high end shopper as well as a bunch of more contemporary brands like Disel, Nudie, Agave, etc

I shopped at the old store for many years and now that this place opened, I will be back shopping with Sam again.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was not impressed. My remarks above about their previous store were basically
confirmed. They seem to carry very little inventory and what they have in Zegna,
Cucinelli, Kiton, and a house brand is not very different than the San Francisco
Nieman Marcus and Saks. I call it "flashy Italian for the American market". Sam
insisted that he carried "soft shoulder" jackets. I tried on a few with shoulders
that seemed almost prosthetic. My visit was on the way to the Style Forum Meet-Up
where understated good taste prevailed. I need only mention Binge, Pocketsquareguy,
emptym, urbancomposition, sugarbutch, as well as others, who attended this time: A real
contrast in style with Malouf's offerings.

P. Bateman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought this was regarding the furniture designerer, Sam Maloof. Now I'm bummed.

thatguymj

Reaction score
I was not impressed. My remarks above about their previous store were basically
confirmed. They seem to carry very little inventory and what they have in Zegna,
Cucinelli, Kiton, and a house brand is not very different than the San Francisco
Nieman Marcus and Saks. I call it "flashy Italian for the American market". Sam
insisted that he carried "soft shoulder" jackets. I tried on a few with shoulders
that seemed almost prosthetic. My visit was on the way to the Style Forum Meet-Up
where understated good taste prevailed. I need only mention Binge, Pocketsquareguy,
emptym, urbancomposition, sugarbutch, as well as others, who attended this time: A real
contrast in style with Malouf's offerings.

This is hilarious!

I was actually in the shop when you came in... I was the young-ish guy that was being helped by the young-ish SA there while you were bitching and complaining to Sam about how the Kiton SC he put on you was 'not soft shouldered' and if he had anything else, but I want to say you also tried on a Cucinelli decontstucted/un-lined blazer that I actually own, and complained about that being too stiff or something as well.

I thought you came off as a prick, fwiw. Than again, maybe you just were having a bad day. As I've mentioned in this thread, I've shopped with Sam at the old store for years, and towards the end with Omar, and now back with Sam at the new shop, and have always found Sam to be VERY knowledgable about clothing. Now mind you, his selection for a pure mens botique is good, but not up to par with the big chain stores (Neimans, Wilkes, Barneys) but pretty damn good product for a small local shop. To say the clothes are flashy is one of the funniest things I've ever heard, they are about as conservative as they get, imo. Especially given the Napolese brands he carries.

Anyways, Funny stuff to see something in person and then read about it a few days later, I can honestly say that this was a first.

laugh.gif

Gong Tao

Reaction score
Originally Posted by thatguymj
This is hilarious!

I was actually in the shop when you came in... I thought you came off as a prick

Roger is not a prick, he is a curmudgeon.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thatguymj
This is hilarious! I was actually in the shop when you came in... I was the young-ish guy that was being helped by the young-ish SA there while you were bitching and complaining to Sam about how the Kiton SC he put on you was 'not soft shouldered' and if he had anything else, but I want to say you also tried on a Cucinelli decontstucted/un-lined blazer that I actually own, and complained about that being too stiff or something as well. I thought you came off as a prick, fwiw. Than again, maybe you just were having a bad day. As I've mentioned in this thread, I've shopped with Sam at the old store for years, and towards the end with Omar, and now back with Sam at the new shop, and have always found Sam to be very knowledgable about clothing. Now mind you, his selection for a pure mens botique is good, but not up to par with the big chain stores (Neimans, Wilkes, Barneys) but pretty damn good product for a small local shop. To say the clothes are flashy is one of the funniest things I've ever heard, they are about as conservative as they get, imo. Especially given the Napolese brands he carries. Anyways, Funny stuff to see something in person and then read about it a few days later, I can honestly say that this was a first.
laugh.gif

Touche'. You caught me . Yes, I did try on the Cucinelli and it was natural shouldered. But you probably didn't hear that I told Sam beforehand that I wasn't interested in Cucinelli . (I hate ticket pockets) and besides it didn't fit. Frankly, Sam may be very knowledgeable, but he prevaricates. He should know damn well that the clothing he was showing me did not meet my preference for a certain shoulder style. When I visited the then newly-opened Hickey Freeman shop in San Francisco and made the same request, I was told by the non-pushy salesman that they didn't have any jackets/suits in that style, period. Sam comes off as a high-end used car salesman. A guy who sells post-collision Lexus'. As for the overall style of Sam's selection, flashy may be an overstatement. I consider it unsubtle, country club provincial, Italian for the American market. Moreover, I see no rationale for this particular mens' boutique 20 minutes from San Francisco, except perhaps to keep Sam from having to return to Texas. As for me, I wasn't having a bad day. I was looking forward to meeting my fellow Style Forum friends . But, I cannot abide a salesman who willfully misrepresents his merchandise to someone who has already stated his preferences, and whose preferences the sales- man cannot meet.

Imperator

Reaction score
Touche'. You caught me . Yes, I did try on the Cucinelli and it was natural shouldered. But you
probably didn't hear that I told Sam beforehand that I wasn't interested in Cucinelli . (I hate
ticket pockets) and besides it didn't fit. Frankly, Sam may be very knowledgeable, but he prevaricates.
He should know damn well that the clothing he was showing me did not meet my preference
for a certain shoulder style. When I visited the then newly-opened Hickey Freeman shop in
San Francisco and made the same request, I was told by the non-pushy salesman that they didn't have
any jackets/suits in that style, period. Sam comes off as a high-end used car salesman. A guy who sells
post-collision Lexus'. As for the overall style of Sam's selection, flashy may be an overstatement.
I consider it unsubtle, country club provincial, Italian for the American market. Moreover,
I see no rationale for this particular mens' boutique 20 minutes from San Francisco, except
perhaps to keep Sam from having to return to Texas.

As for me, I wasn't having a bad day. I was looking forward to meeting my fellow Style Forum
friends . But, I cannot abide a salesman who willfully misrepresents his merchandise
to someone who has already stated his preferences, and whose preferences the sales-
man cannot meet.

crazy.gif

This seems overwrought.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads