• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sam Hober College Reppe Stripe Designs - New Ideas Sought

Sam Hober

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Sam Hober College Reppe Stripe Designs - New Ideas Sought We are currently busy 7 days a week working on our backlog of necktie orders, but as soon as we catch up I want to have new college ties woven. Also military and organization/group ideas will be considered. As an example we have an Afghanistan campaign medal tie that was designed by a client who is a US army veteran. We also have a Concordia silk that was designed by a client who sails a Concordia. It takes some time to work on the colors and patterns so I am starting now. In the first round of college/school designs we thought about the weave and finally decided to go with the classic reppe weave and English silk as opposed to a modern version with a jacquard weave and Italian silk. Please note that Pantone colors are quite helpful but not exact as silk colors look different. Also if you have any stories about how the school colors came about that would be fun to read and can provide direction to the proper shade. Please let me know the width of the stripes that you think would look good. Thank you and looking forward to hearing your ideas.

tlmusic

Reaction score
My Dad suggests University of Notre Dame, whose colors are blue and gold.

Sam Hober

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tlmusic
My Dad suggests University of Notre Dame, whose colors are blue and gold.
Tlmusic, Please thank your dad for me for his suggestion. Does he have ideas about the design?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I have an ancient Cal tie. It is a nice design, might be worth copying.

James Bond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
University of Nebraska, scarlet and cream.

I have a couple of ideas for designs that I'll try and knock out in Photoshop tonight/tomorrow.

tlmusic

Reaction score
I suggest these styles (which I don't believe you make):

Honourable Artillery Company
91874.jpg

The Brigade of Guards:
30439.jpg

This is the stripe size and spacing I personally like for regimental type ties:
guardsbrigade011.jpg

For a Notre Dame tie, my Dad likes a blue background with thinner gold stripes, spaced like Astaire's in this pic--
FredAstaire.jpg

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It could pay off to make some Old Boy or Oxbridge ties for Ex-Pats.

Rudi

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tlmusic
I suggest these styles (which I don't believe you make):

For a Notre Dame tie, my Dad likes a blue background with thinner gold stripes, spaced like Astaire's in this pic--
FredAstaire.jpg

I like this design in general. How about something for Arkansas alumni? Red grenadine with a white repp stripe the width of the one in the above quoted pic?

tlmusic

Reaction score
^^^
Yes. It is interesting how the simple designs work so well with regimental style ties.

The busy designs with many different width stripes usually don't look as pleasing to me. Thing is, many high quality tie makers (Charvet, and the Italian makers) tend to mostly make busy design repp ties. It's difficult to find a simple design high quality repp tie, as a large number of those are mid to low quality.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
How about black with orange pencil stripes?

Sam Hober

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
I have an ancient Cal tie. It is a nice design, might be worth copying.
Manton, We have a Stanford silk so in the interests of diplomacy a CAL silk may very well be a good idea. I have heard that the gold came from the gold that was found in California and that the blue was a carryover from Yale where many of the schools founders had studied before going west. I would love to see you post a photo of your old tie and then we can adjust the stripe widths just a bit to have a new look. James Bond, Standing by for your design ideas. TLmusic, What is the measurement in inches of the stripes in your Brigade of Guards design, and your father's Notre Dame idea? The Honorable Artillery company probably won't be woven at this time as I am looking for basic stripes. "Yes. It is interesting how the simple designs work so well with regimental style ties." I agree. We do complex stripes with a jacquard weave which can look very nice but the simple classics can be the best. Jimmyoneil, Ties for Ex-pats sounds good as I am an Ex-pat myself. Any special design ideas for the stripe patterns? Parker, Any more details? School names etc..

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
David,

one future project should be ancient madder pailsy ties.

norton

Reaction score
More striped thai silk ties, similar to your ask andy tie. I like the rougher silk and some of the thai colors, like the blue, really pop.

I'm anxiously awaiting two ties from you now.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sam Hober
Parker,
Any more details? School names etc..

I think your largest market for black and orange would be Princeton, but I was thinking specifically of Occidental College which copped their colors and mascot from Princeton anyway. I secretly want one because I also went to Art Center which is straight up orange. Could also work for CalTech. For all those industrial designers and engineers who still wear ties! Ha!

I don't know what the rules are for school stripes, but I like the thinner pencil stripes like these:
pi19595ar1.jpg

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
I have an outlier for you: International School of Bangkok school colors.

Could make a fun summer tie.

- B

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads