• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sam Adams Brews

underwearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian278
SA's Hefe is drinkable, but it's pretty mediocre compared to most German unfiltered wheats.

Its a classic American Wheat beer based on Berliner wisse but less tart sans the lactic acid cultures the Germans use.

Some other Wheats that are good:
Sierra Nevada Wheat (American)
Ayinger, Erdinger (Bavarian Weizen)
Schultheiss Berliner Weiss
Celis White (Belgian White)
Sam Adams Belgian Wit
Sam Adams Summer Ale (American Wheat)
Beanie Bock, Dogfish Head (weizenbock)

There are tons of German and American wheat beers available in the US.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mrpologuy
What do you guys think of Sam Adams Beers? I tend to like most of them. I really enjoy the Ocotberfest and Winter brew the best. The regualr Bosotn lager and light brew is ok as well. I don't like the cherry wheat very much. I think it has too much cherry taste. I do like the fact that they use Michigan cherries for it. Sam Adams is not the best beer around, but it is available at most places and is often the best that is being served. I have been trying to score some Utopia from Sam but don't feel lik eshelling out a few hundred for it. What do you guys think of Sam Adams beer?

Cherry wheat is shockingly awful. Agree that Octoberfest is pretty good as is regular boston lager.

Alistair

Reaction score
Being from Boston, I have been drinking this stuff since the days when it was only widely available in and around the city (mid to late 80s). With huge individual differences in personal tastes, I've always found that beer recommendations are only helpful if the source shares your preferences. Twenty years ago, I enjoyed very hoppy beers a lot more than I do now. My tastes now lean to Belgian ales of all sorts; English real ales; barleywines; dry and sweet stouts; and many seasonal offerings. Generally, I prefer a flavor profile weighted to the malty side. Over the years, my favorite Sam styles have been, in this order:
  • Double Bock
  • Octoberfest
  • Winter Lager
  • Old Fezziwig (available only in variety packs at Xmas)
  • Cream Stout (on a nitrogen system)
I love all of these beers and order them out regularly.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I'm conflicted on SA. I don't care for most of their beers, except for the October, DB, and Old Fezzwig. I think their light blows.

On the other hand, because of their mass market ubiquity, I'm finding myself drawn to their selections just to avoid the **** from Michelob, Bud, Miller, et al.. In that sense, they're ******* wonderful.

I'll also choose them over Guiness because the Guiness in the bottle down here tastes like chocolate piss.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Every Sam Adams beer I have had has been underwhelming.

In northern California, even the crappiest dive bar has either Sierra Nevada or Anchor Steam, thank my lucky stars. Even Candlestick park. I always fall back on those.

mikeynyc

Reaction score
I've been on a SA kick. Just tried the Black Lager last night and def liked it.

Alfred_Newman

Reaction score
I saw a special on Sam Adams a while back. The head was talking about how amazing hsi beer was. He said it was better than German beer. I dissagree but it is a cut above most American brews

underwearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alfred_Newman
I saw a special on Sam Adams a while back. The head was talking about how amazing hsi beer was. He said it was better than German beer. I dissagree but it is a cut above most American brews

No, he didn't say that.

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by underwearer
No, he didn't say that.

I don't believe Sam Koch has ever been known for his modesty.

underwearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JBZ
I don't believe Sam Koch has ever been known for his modesty.

Yeah but that dude knows about beer, and I doubt he would dismiss the entire country of Germany and its beers. He had German brewers come over and critique his beers, why would he do that if he thought Germany couldnt make good beer?

Sounds like Beer snob propaganda to me.

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Like everybody said, it's better than most mass market beers but not amazing or anything.

In Texas I'll take Shiner over it, though, since they're both equally available. Hell Shiner's probably more widespread in Texas than SA. Can you find it (Shiner Bock) at gas stations elsewhere in the country?

distinctive

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like it. Not my favorite but better than most American brews. It's been on sale recently so I've been getting it. Not worth 8.50 but definitely worth 6.00. I especially like the holiday variety pack- has anyone seen this in stores yet this year?

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I believe the holiday 24 pack was at my local Costco, $19.99 or thereabout.

I got the Pyramid variety pack instead (only $14.99)

Roland Loden of Germany

Reaction score
During the time of the US Constitution signatures the popular alcohol drink of your country was Cider, so why were they to name a beer after a founding father?

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roland Loden of Germany
During the time of the US Constitution signatures the popular alcohol drink of your country was Cider, so why were they to name a beer after a founding father?
Because we don't add lemonade to our beer?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads