• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DrZRM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, glad I stumbled across this place, like I needed someplace else to waste time on the internet. Anyway, I'm generally leery of shoes made by clothing lines, but wanted some input on the general quality of Ferragamo shoes (not paying retail...I really never do, and not the studio line) when compared to lines like Allen Edmonds, Church's, etc. Will they hold up to long use and resoling, or are they more likely to be tossed out when the soles wear?

I kno this is subjective, but, that's what I have for you.

Thanks

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DrZRM
Hey guys, glad I stumbled across this place, like I needed someplace else to waste time on the internet. Anyway, I'm generally leery of shoes made by clothing lines, but wanted some input on the general quality of Ferragamo shoes (not paying retail...I really never do, and not the studio line) when compared to lines like Allen Edmonds, Church's, etc. Will they hold up to long use and resoling, or are they more likely to be tossed out when the soles wear?

I kno this is subjective, but, that's what I have for you.

Thanks

In SF's case, it's the other way around, i.e. a shoe company selling clothes (though they have been designing scarves and ties and accessories for a while).

At any rate, the Tramezza line are very good welted shoes and excellent value at ~$300-$400. My problem with the mainline shoes is not the blake-stitched construction but the quality of the uppers. Most of the ones I've seen have plasticky looking uppers, some even in corrected grain, with cheap looking fake antiquing. Totally different look than AE or Church's. If you find a pair you like and don't mind the uppers, they should hold up fine.

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with what EL says. I have several pairs of Tramezzas (bought on ebay), and they compare well with far more expensive shoes. My old mainline Ferragamos are in general better than the ones for sale right now, but of course I haven't seen every shoe they make.

Don't buy the Ferragamo studio line. It's glued junk.

mishon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ferragamo Tramezza is on par with other high end Italian shoe makers like Gravati, Mantellassi, Borgioli, Martegani, etc..., and a notch below EG, Vass, or C&J, at least by SF standards. They are more fashion forward than AE (but what isn't?!). For $200-400, they are a great investment. Good luck!

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I only have one pair, but I really love them. They are suede ankle boots, and I can say the suede feels very nice compared to other suede items in my wardrobe. They have been shockingly durable - I tend to put my nice things through way too much abuse - and my cobbler was impressed with the construction(for a non welted shoe)

However I didn't pay retail and would advise you not to either - Ferragamo will frequently pop up on ebay or department store sales.

(Full discolsure: the only truly high end shoe brand I have experience with is Santoni so you may want to trust some of the shoe experts on here a little more then me.)

DrZRM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys,

Just what I needed to know.

ZRM

Sprezzatura2010

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mishon
Ferragamo Tramezza is on par with other high end Italian shoe makers like Gravati, Mantellassi, Borgioli, Martegani, etc..., and a notch below EG, Vass, or C&J, at least by SF standards. They are more fashion forward than AE (but what isn't?!). For $200-400, they are a great investment. Good luck!

I disagree. I'd put my Tramezzas up there with my EGs, Vasses, C&Js, Westons, and so on.

Then again, I would also put Sutor Mantellassi up a notch higher than you do. At least their best shoes, such as the braided-welt models. They also sell some pretty indifferent stuff.

jsherman02

Reaction score
My Ferragamos from ten years ago are still going strong. No complaints...I think some of "us" get too invested in the make of the shoes. Goodyear welt, blake, as long as they hold up I do not care if they are using old bubble gum.

Bishop of Briggs

Reaction score
Ferragamo is too fashion forward for my taste. It's for those who wear Rolexes, drive Mercs etc - flash but no class.

ld111134

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mercs have no class? Oh my, and I was looking at an SL.
frown.gif

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bishop of Briggs
Ferragamo is too fashion forward for my taste. It's for those who wear Rolexes, drive Mercs etc - flash but no class.

Wasn't aware that a car or watch gave you class, all this time I thought class was about the person. Could you please enlighten us on the items that the classy own?

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Making asinine generalizations about people and their mode of transportation and means of time-telling is the epitome of classlessness.

jsherman02

Reaction score

Maybe the worse statement of the year on SF. What does class have to do with shoes? I know alot of classless a**holes that wear Ecco shoes....so does that mean Ecco = no class.

Bishop of Briggs

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jsherman02
Maybe the worse statement of the year on SF. What does class have to do with shoes? I know alot of classless a**holes that wear Ecco shoes....so does that mean Ecco = no class.
I would not be seen dead wearing Ecco.

Bishop of Briggs

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ld111134
Mercs have no class? Oh my, and I was looking at an SL.
frown.gif

Mercs used to be great - well built and reliable. Now they have reduced the quality of build and the reliability. They are pimp mobiles for corporate wannabes - accountants, lawyers and bankers. A British gentleman drives a Bristol, a Morgan, TVR, Lotus, an old MGB (e.g. Tom Mahon) or even a pre-BMW Mini Cooper.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads