• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Salvatore Ferragamo - comments on this shoe model?

Shube

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm new to quality shoes. I recently bought a black oxford captoe for formal occasions. I'm now looking for a dressy-casual hybrid shoe that I can pull-off while wearing decent jeans.

I've been doing my due diligence, looking to the likes of Cobbler Union, Carmina, Shoe Passion, Loding Paris, etc... shoes in this quality and price range. While trying on various shoe styles and colours at some local shops to judge what generally would look good with jeans, before hunting something similar down online that would offer a better quality/price ratio... I tried on a pair of Salvatore Ferragamo oxfords in what I would describe as camel colour (though listed as amber or brown, depending on what site you visit).

The shoes were nice, though for $725 CAD ($595 USD), it was significantly more than I planned to spend... AND the soles weren't even leather, which surprised me. But more than anything, this particular yellowy-brown colour really 'POPPED' - I thought it looked amazing with my blue jeans! I instantly thought to go looking online for a shoe with the same colour but better quality/price ratio. However, I soon discovered... this seems to be a VERY rare colour used on oxford dress shoes. Much more common is the warmer, more orangey-brown cognac/whisky/tan colour, which just doesn't suit blue jeans as well, I find.

So... I'm left to consider whether I should bite the bullet and buy a pair, at about a 45% premium than I was hoping to spend (<=$500 CAD). I wasn't previously aware of Salvatore Ferragamo... but I've since learned it's a high-end italian fashion brand which does not make their own shoes in-house. I've also read that the Tramezza line is their real 'quality' line (not sure what distinguishes it, though)... and I can't seem to find which line this is, so I'm guessing it's not that.

I'm not sure I want to play the waiting game until these go on sale, in case I'm not then able to find a pair in my size. So... any of you who are familiar with Salvatore Ferragamo please chime in with your thoughts about the brand, and the perceived quality/price ratio of this particular model of shoe? I'd much appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!

Link: https://www.harryrosen.com/en/footw...ferragamo/calfskin-cap-toe-oxfords/p/20039936

mintchox

Reaction score
You are paying much more for the branding than the shoe with Ferragamo. Go with the other brands you mentioned, but above all else make sure you get a good fit by trying it on first.

That colour doesn’t seem too rare - if you get tan coloured shoes and apply some darker polish you could tweak the colour yourself!

Shube

Reaction score
Well, for instance... what do you objectively think that shoe should sell for off of its own merits, if it was judged against the prices of Carmina and Cobbler Union? In USD, or CAD, to avoid confusion?

mintchox

Reaction score
It appears that Ferragamo makes several lines of men’s shoes, and the problem is that it’s not apparent which line or what type of construction you’re getting for the particular pair you’re looking at.

I’d be looking for a pair of goodyear welted shoes, which is what Carmina and Cobbler makes. Reason: I prefer the style and should be easier / cheaper to resolve.

Ferragamo and other Italian shoes make (at best, the rubber sole in your model could also just be glued) Blake Stitch shoes, which make the look slim / cleaner, if that’s your priority.

mintchox

Reaction score
To answer your question - because of the uncertainties regarding the leather quality and shoe construction, I would value the pair below what’s offered by the other brands you mentioned.

Shube

Reaction score
I did ask the sales lady whether it was Goodyear welted, this and other models I tried... if I recall correctly, I was assured this model was.

megabiscoito

Reaction score
For me Ferragamo is Ferragamo. I mainly know about their women shoes where they are reference.

Chowkin

Reaction score
I bought a pair of Ferragamo Tramezza many years ago when they were on sale at 60% off. Would never pay full retail for them cause I don’t find their quality exceptional. In fact, the welt stitching is even worse than Church’s.

You’ll be better off buying say a pair of Carmina in tan colour and if you like, darken the toe with some dark brown cream to achieve the desired effect

14F74FA0-8B56-48DB-8AA5-330CB8CC114A.jpeg

https://www.carminashoemaker.com/mens-oxford-shoes/wingtip-oxfords-80224-tan

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Staff online

Forum statistics