• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Salt Stains

Gavin

Reaction score
What do you guys do to lift salt stains from leather boots? And not just small stains, but the stubborn ones that cover half of your foot, that commercial salt stain removers won't get rid of, that vinegar won't get rid of...that no matter what you do, you wipe them off, clean, condition, polish, and then they still come back?

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
this why during winters i carry my boots and walk barefoot until i'm indoors then i put them on, never had a salt stain in my life!

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't wear boots that arent made for snow/winter weather in the winter....
Totes rubbers are my friend.

MinnesotaNice

Reaction score
mix vinegar and water and spot clean. Works pretty well for me, even on my suede desert boots. Let it dry overnight and it looks pretty good in the morning

Gavin

Reaction score
I've tried spot cleaning...I've even tried bathing them in vinegar and water...but they still come back.

MikkoN

Reaction score
You need to find the purest possible vinegar to make this work.
Specific products for this job are pretty much almost 100% acetic acid.

Erasers can also help to remove them.

If you treat your shoes really well with Chelsea leather food or similar products and polish them really well (fill the pores), it is far less likely to get those "salt stains out of hell".

Yet, I ******* hate road salt. It is a bane here in Helsinki.

Gavin

Reaction score
Erasers? Like regular pencil erasers? Or like Mr Clean Magic Erasers?

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gavin
What do you guys do to lift salt stains from leather boots? And not just small stains, but the stubborn ones that cover half of your foot, that commercial salt stain removers won't get rid of, that vinegar won't get rid of...that no matter what you do, you wipe them off, clean, condition, polish, and then they still come back?

http://blog.leffot.com/

Gavin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whatever123
http://blog.leffot.com/

From that page:

Yes there are products made to remove salt stains, but I've always used a 50/50 mixture of warm water and white vinegar. Use a soft cloth and wipe away the stain, after the shoe is dry proceed to a leather conditioner such as Saphir Renovateur then polish.
But,

I've tried spot cleaning...I've even tried bathing them in vinegar and water...but they still come back.

I'm trying to find a solution other than vinegar.

halisray

Reaction score
I have RW Iron Rangers and trudge through snow, salt and slush and have never gotten salt stains. Then again, I use Sno Seal. You should look into getting yourself some!

Gavin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by halisray
I have RW Iron Rangers and trudge through snow, salt and slush and have never gotten salt stains. Then again, I use Sno Seal. You should look into getting yourself some!

I didn't get Sno Seal, but I did use something similar...which was obviously sub-par and didn't do a good enough job. I need to find a way to effectively lift the stains that are there before I try to re-seal the leather.

I'm having the problem with a pair of black RW GTs.

halisray

Reaction score
Maybe take them to a cobbler and get them checked out. Definitely get Sno-Seal though.

MikkoN

Reaction score
Erasers? Like regular pencil erasers? Or like Mr Clean Magic Erasers?
Yes sir. Pencil erasers.
They do not always work if the salt has penetrated the whole package.

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
From that page:

But,

I'm trying to find a solution other than vinegar.

ah, sorry ... i should have read your entire post. sorry about that
smile.gif

Johdus Fanfoozal

Reaction score
Originally Posted by halisray

This for future use.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads