• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

salon vs. barbershop

sbbbjm

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eason
Getting your hair cut at a barbershop is like buying your whole wardrobe from Banana Republic or at best, J. Crew.

wonderful

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FlaneurNYC
My barber in NYC, Igor at Clean Cuts on 1st Avenue and 1st Street, rocks. He knows how to cut hair as well as any salon stylist I've been to and it's only 14 bucks, plus a five dollar tip.

That's my barber.

lefty

brad-t

Bae Blade
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reggs
Barbershops mostly employ men, which usually makes for better conversation. Men, regardless of quality, are usually a lot more consistent in their work than women are. Men are also much more thankful when they receive their tip. They see it much more as something earned than an entitlement.

you're sexist as ****, nice

I stopped going to a barber when I was 13. It's fine if you just get standard, short haircuts but if you want a style with any degree of complexity some old dude with shears isn't going to be able to help you. I'm going to a new salon tomorrow because I just moved; hopefully it's not terrible.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Uncontrol
you're sexist as ****, nice

I stopped going to a barber when I was 13. It's fine if you just get standard, short haircuts but if you want a style with any degree of complexity some old dude with shears isn't going to be able to help you. I'm going to a new salon tomorrow because I just moved; hopefully it's not terrible.

Yeah, hope they don't **** up your hair and make it weird-looking or something.

FlaneurNYC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lefty
That's my barber.

lefty

Small world. But it's not surprising considering he's the best barber I've ever had. He was mentioned in Time Out New York recently by a guy who moved to Williamsburg but still makes a trip over to the EV so he can get his hair cut by Igor.

I'm sure glad he bought that place from the previous owner because the barber I was going to prior on 1st Ave and 8th, another Russian guy, moved his shop over to Chelsea right before Igor moved in. And Igor is even better than Lenny.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I followed him from Neighbourhood Barbers. I did have a short stint at FSC, but they were inconsistent so went back to Igor at 1/3 the cost.

lefty

Asch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Perhaps the popularity of barbers here is due to the weeding out of ****** ones in a place like NYC. In the less populated areas I've lived, barbershops tend to do 5-minute hack jobs, full of obvious errors and asymmetries, that I can't imagine any OCD-ish SF member would be satisfied with, unless bald spots in one's cut are considered part of sprezzatura
blush.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads