• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Salmon-pink or orange shirt - lost cause?

tokyodandy

Reaction score
I own the following shirt, which I have worn with a deep umber/brown tie, and a lighter brown tie with blue dots. Is there any other colour tie that might go well with this? The colour is not quite as strong as it may appear in the photo below but it's a challenging shirt to wear...

TD

2vj69p5.jpg

designprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Depending on your skin tone, this shirt could wash you out in overall skin- tone.
I bet it's more a question of contrast as opposed to a specific color.
Each color jacket you pair this with will affect how this color appears.
I'd just make sure it is a color that is substantially lighter or darker, so that you have some contrast.

tokyodandy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by designprofessor
Depending on your skin tone, this shirt could wash you out in overall skin- tone.
I bet it's more a question of contrast as opposed to a specific color.
Each color jacket you pair this with will affect how this color appears.
I'd just make sure it is a color that is substantially lighter or darker, so that you have some contrast.

I've worn it with a dark navy and that seems to be OK. My skin colour is 'pinko-grey' but leaning towards pink.

TD

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love this color and have several dress shirts in it. I generally match my tie color (roughly) to the color of the jacket I'm wearing. For example, I have an aqua sports jacket (with a similar orange-tan window-pane) that looks good with this color shirt and darker aqua ties, and either a darker orangey pocket square or a darker aqua one. In general, this color seems to go pretty well with various shades of blue (perhaps because it is opposite on the color spectrum). With any blue jacket, I'd try to find a darker blue-tone tie. With brown-tone jackets, I'd wear a tie whose base color was dark brown, and, possibly, with some orangey effects in it, although the latter isn't essential. Since this color falls in the lighter part of the light-dark continuum, I'd go with a darker tie in almost all instances.

TheDroog

Reaction score
Orange strikes me as an informal color for a dress shirt, so why even wear it with a tie? I think it would look stellar with the top button left unbuttoned and worn casually with a navy blazer or a khaki sport jacket.

Style Pontifex

Reaction score
This color looks great on swarthy or brown/black skin tones.

Syl

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Style Pontifex
This color looks great on swarthy or brown/black skin tones.

precisely why I own one.

Shikar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have the same color in a linen Lorenzini....have only worn it once in the last 6 months, didnt really like the color, and i am brown skin toned.

Regards.

celery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd go with a green tie.

Green is the compliment of red. However, green and red are basically synonymous with Christmas colours and are a bit more difficult to pull off because of that. Pink and Orange, however, are in the family of reds. They usually work quite well with green (when the proper shade of green is found to compliment them).

You can also try purple, but you will have to probably use a lighter shade (maybe lavender) for it to work with that shirt.

Doc4

Reaction score
In a couple months (say, the end of October) that shirt would look great with a black tie.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have seen it paired with tan/khaki suits for a fresh spring summer look.

I think for a tie try a pale green or pale blue stripe with a natural/beige background . The key is that the intensity of the salmon needs to be slightly less than the intensity of the colors of the tie. If the shirt is more intense in color it will look wrong. IMO

Ichiro

Reaction score
I have a very similar shirt. I wear it with either a dark green or navy tie. Always get loads of compliments as to how good it looks too!

tokyodandy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tokyodandy
I own the following shirt, which I have worn with a deep umber/brown tie, and a lighter brown tie with blue dots. Is there any other colour tie that might go well with this? The colour is not quite as strong as it may appear in the photo below but it's a challenging shirt to wear...
Many thanks to those who responded - the replies have given me plenty to think about!

Cheers
TD

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads