• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Saleswoman put defective tie back on shelf

DrPat

Reaction score
I found a fairly expensive tie I liked in an upscale department store today. As I was looking it over, I noticed a group of small threads sticking out from the front of the tie. It was a small defect, but definitely a defect. I showed it to the saleswoman (who looked about 20 years old) and asked if she had another one in the back of the store. She replied that she didn't and then asked me where I found the tie. After I showed her, she put the tie back on the shelf. It surprised me that she would do this, and especially surprised me that she would do this while I was watching. I politely told her that, since there was a problem with the tie, she take it off display. She basically ignored me so I informed the manager what had happened and showed her the defect. I left as the manager and a salesman were examining and discussing the tie so I'm not sure if it ended up back on the shelf in the end.

DerekH

Reaction score
Oh well... more reason to inspect products before you buy it.

HEWSINATOR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DrPat
I politely told her that, since there was a problem with the tie, she take it off display.

Comments like this make me wonder how some people act in stores.

You told her to take it off display? Are you the manager? Do you own the store? If you do not like what she did you could ask if they normally do what she did. Then decide not to shop there. But telling somebody what to do? I hope this just came out wrong.

Composer_1777

Reaction score
It could have just been some loose threads, Maybe they thought you were just trying to get it for a discount. Women are dumb, every guy knows that. Don't rationalize their behavior.

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sometimes people are willing to purchase an item that is damaged at a discounted price.

Its quit possible that she was returning the item to the shelf and would offer or agree to a discount should the next willing customer wish to purchase the item although its damaged.

penguin vic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by FIHTies
Sometimes people are willing to purchase an item that is damaged at a discounted price.

Its quit possible that she was returning the item to the shelf and would offer or agree to a discount should the next willing customer wish to purchase the item although its damaged.

That's what I would assume as well.

Originally Posted by HEWSINATOR
Comments like this make me wonder how some people act in stores.

You told her to take it off display? Are you the manager? Do you own the store? If you do not like what she did you could ask if they normally do what she did. Then decide not to shop there. But telling somebody what to do? I hope this just came out wrong.

+1

laphroaig

Reaction score
Comments like this make me wonder how some people act in stores. You told her to take it off display? Are you the manager? Do you own the store? If you do not like what she did you could ask if they normally do what she did. Then decide not to shop there. But telling somebody what to do? I hope this just came out wrong.
Actually comments like the OPs make me feel like there are still people that think and act like they belong to a community. He is not the manager, he is making sure somebody else was not going to be left with a bad tie.

ml77

Reaction score
Originally Posted by laphroaig
Actually comments like the OPs make me feel like there are still people that think and act like they belong to a community. He is not the manager, he is making sure somebody else was not going to be left with a bad tie.

I agree, I think that they would probably let the next customer buy this tie at full retail price if they can.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
And this affected you how...?

JoelF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Note the OP's location is Geneva. The Swiss like to keep things orderly, including other peoples' things. Can't imagine this conversation happening in the U.S., the SA would have called security.
laugh.gif

Was this at Globus?

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Twenty year old sales associates tend not to use their brains. This is a generalization, but true nonetheless. She didn't want to be bothered and knew that the next customer to come around would not notice the defect. It is Christmas time and people are buying gifts and don't tend to examine things as much.

Perhaps the manger had a tailor take a minute to fix the tie, which is obviously the correct thing to do. But this may not have happened.

I do feel the OP was correct in commenting on the quality of the tie, whether it affected him or not. Amazingly, it is his choice to comment or not.

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Composer_1777
Women are dumb, every guy knows that. Don't rationalize their behavior.
Nice.
sarcasm.gif
Comments like this make me wonder how some people act in stores. You told her to take it off display? Are you the manager? Do you own the store? If you do not like what she did you could ask if they normally do what she did. Then decide not to shop there. But telling somebody what to do? I hope this just came out wrong.
You're telling him what to do? Who are you? His mum? His dad? 'I hope this just came out wrong.' The irony! +1 for the retail altruist, FWIW. Imagine if a lady who didn't know much about ties walked in, saw the tie, and bought it as a gift for someone special. Then it comes out of the wrapping some days later, and disappoints. The OP was attempting (unsuccessfully) to prevent a situation like that.

DrPat

Reaction score
Yes, it was in Globus.

The tie was definitely going to be sold for full retail price. It was folded and placed on top of a shirt on display. This store has no discount rack or bin for defective merchandise.

By the way, they sell 6-fold ties for 98 CHF (83 USD), which is I think is a very reasonable price.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads