• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sales Tricks

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am new to posting here, but not to reading. I have been shopping in the U.S. for the last 3 years and I have learnt many tricks I wish to pass on to anyone not living in Orange County, California(Where I shop). Please add some of your tricks as well. Some of my spelling and gramar is really bad. Sorry for this.

1. Always check the dressing room racks first. Somebody has already noticed what a good deal an item is because they tried it on. This works especially good at Marshalls, T.J. Maxx, H&M, and Ross.

2. If you are a small or even a medium, look in the kids section. I often see Men's smalls at really cheap prices. Also, some large kids clothes(Like Polo) fit just like a small or even a medium.

3. If looking for sneakers check the women's shoes section. Often times Men's shoes are put in the women's section by mistake or on purpose. This works especially well with Jack Purcell's and converse. This also works with belts.

4. Don't give up on overseas online shops. Topman and Asos have incredible sales. Topman has free shipping and Asos shipping is very cheap.

5. Most fashion watches (Burberrry, Armani, Marc Jacobs) are made by fossill. If you are ever by a fossill store check it out. I have bought a quartz Armani watch for 45 dollars. A refurbished Burberry watch for 75 dollars. An automatic Armani watch for 150 dollars.

6. If you are at a discount store like Ross, Marshalls, and T.J. Maxx and you find an item without a tag don't put it down. Find a similar item take it with you and when you check out tell them you found the item without a price tag and say this item is similar they usually will scan the cheap item just to save time. Please don't take off tags on purpose though I consider that stealing.

7. Try to bargain. If you find an item (especially if it is on clearance) and something is just not right try to get the price lowered. I have gotten discounts on shoes that had a label that pictured the shoes with different colored laces, calvin klein underwear without a box, RRL jeans missing the original label, belts with an extra hole,....

8. Most sweaters are put on sale after christmas, but are then raised for spring shopping. I find the best deal on sweaters just before summer starts. This might only work in California and other hot states.

9. Check thrift stores for Ties and tie accessories. I have found vintage gold and silver tie bars for less than 2 dollars. I have bought Kiton, vintage Dior,... for less than 2 dollars.

10. Some thrift stores have vintage magazines mixed in with books. They usually cost a quarter. I have been buying vintage Pre-1990 GQ and Esquire magazines for the last 3 years.

11. Talk to the staff of the store especially the young women! Ask them if they have any good deals. A couple women have even let me use their family discount code.

12. Try different stores you will be surprised. I never went into an Urban Outfitters before a visit 3 months ago. In the last 3 months I have bought 3 Converse by John Varvatos polos for 10 dollars each, 6 button ups designed by Steven Alan for 10 dolars each, 3 cheap monday jeans for 10-20 dollars, 2 Fred Perry polos for 10-20 dollars,... I hate to think of all the cheap stuff I missed over the last 3 years.
frown.gif

I hope that helps. Also, share your sale tips.

bcx

Reaction score
Originally Posted by deveandepot1
7. Try to bargain. If you find an item (especially if it is on clearance) and something is just not right try to get the price lowered. I have gotten discounts on shoes that had a label that pictured the shoes with different colored laces, calvin klein underwear without a box, RRL jeans missing the original label, belts with an extra hole,....

I don't know if I'd buy that.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Hi, I am new to posting here, but not to reading. I have been shopping in the U.S. for the last 3 years and I have learnt many tricks I wish to pass on to anyone not living in Orange County, California(Where I shop). Please add some of your tricks as well. Some of my spelling and gramar is really bad. Sorry for this.

1. Always check the dressing room racks first. Somebody has already noticed what a good deal an item is because they tried it on. This works especially good at Marshalls, T.J. Maxx, H&M, and Ross.

2. If you are a small or even a medium, look in the kids section. I often see Men's smalls at really cheap prices. Also, some large kids clothes(Like Polo) fit just like a small or even a medium.

3. If looking for sneakers check the women's shoes section. Often times Men's shoes are put in the women's section by mistake or on purpose. This works especially well with Jack Purcell's and converse. This also works with belts.

4. Don't give up on overseas online shops. Topman and Asos have incredible sales. Topman has free shipping and Asos shipping is very cheap.

5. Most fashion watches (Burberrry, Armani, Marc Jacobs) are made by fossill. If you are ever by a fossill store check it out. I have bought a quartz Armani watch for 45 dollars. A refurbished Burberry watch for 75 dollars. An automatic Armani watch for 150 dollars.

6. If you are at a discount store like Ross, Marshalls, and T.J. Maxx and you find an item without a tag don't put it down. Find a similar item take it with you and when you check out tell them you found the item without a price tag and say this item is similar they usually will scan the cheap item just to save time. Please don't take off tags on purpose though I consider that stealing.

8. Most sweaters are put on sale after christmas, but are then raised for spring shopping. I find the best deal on sweaters just before summer starts. This might only work in California and other hot states.

9. Check thrift stores for Ties and tie accessories. I have found vintage gold and silver tie bars for less than 2 dollars. I have bought Kiton, vintage Dior,... for less than 2 dollars.

10. Some thrift stores have vintage magazines mixed in with books. They usually cost a quarter. I have been buying vintage Pre-1990 GQ and Esquire magazines for the last 3 years.

11. Talk to the staff of the store especially the young women! Ask them if they have any good deals. A couple women have even let me use their family discount code.

12. Try different stores you will be surprised. I never went into an Urban Outfitters before a visit 3 months ago. In the last 3 months I have bought 3 Converse by John Varvatos polos for 10 dollars each, 6 button ups designed by Steven Alan for 10 dolars each, 3 cheap monday jeans for 10-20 dollars, 2 Fred Perry polos for 10-20 dollars,... I hate to think of all the cheap stuff I missed over the last 3 years.
frown.gif

I hope that helps. Also, share your sale tips.

you are soo mean.

that means i cannot read the above??

i really want to read it.

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Crakaveli

Reaction score

do you really need to worry about sales at t.j. maxx and ross?

anyway, welcome.

flyindarkness

Reaction score
holy crap, i wonder how much time you got on your hands...
i wish i could go check out stores all the time.

avalemik

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
you are soo mean.

that means i cannot read the above??

i really want to read it.

where are you guys in the OC
(irvine) =/

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
We're in the OC during the week and the LA on the weekends.

lizmasc

Reaction score
That's some good advice right there, some of that I think most of us have been doing one way or the other but it's nice to read someone else's perspective as those are some fine tips
tounge.gif
smiley2.gif

SpeedingArrow

Reaction score
**** I got all of those stores near my house and I never check them out.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads