• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"SALES! love 'em, hate 'em?

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
i dont know how may of you feel the same, but i have come to the conclusion that sales are the worst time to shop! why do i say this, well i am in Hong Kong M2M and shoppers paradise for suits shoe's and shirts etc and and all the designer shops and dept stores you can dream of - but why is it when ever you wait for the sales to get something you always end up with these possible/ probable situations.

1) sorry sir we have not got you size

2) sorry that color has sold out

3) and this is the most common 1, sorry sir that is not on sale as it is next seasons collection etc.

now i not so sure about our place such as New York and London as i been here to long to remember what the sales where like back home but when it come to my wife SHE can go out and come home with bags full of stuff (most will never have the label removed)

why is it that women can seemly find bargains and most of all stuff to buy that looks like it was not just stocked for sale time - you think i'd be able to find something even a pair of socks but no the only things i can pick out are the non-sale next seasons new stuff!

anyway thank you for letting me get of steam!!!!

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
i certainly know how you feel. being a US10-1/2 having to find a pair in hongkong, where average shoe size is US8-9, is quite tricky. that being said, i have accustomed to ask the salesperson to call up their other branches to see if what i am looking for is available. i haven't gotten a negative response from that request and in all probability, hongkong being a small place and its mtr a very efficient transport system, i can get what i want in less than an hour.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It's interesting to consider that sales are a form of price discrimination. For those that are willing to put in the effort of trawling sales and dealing with the attendant hassles, people that would not otherwise be able to afford the goods are able to buy it a lower price. For the wealthier clientele that'd rather not deal with sales, they can pay full price.

Toiletduck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're just not trying hard enough luk-cha. ;-)

Maggio

Reaction score
Is the Nordstrom anniversary sale any different? I know the sale they have going on now is not all that great, but what about Anniversary items? Good stuff to buy Or similar to what is described above?

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love sales and I also hate them. I love them because I can occasionally score some terrific bargains, but I hate them because I sometimes buy what looks like a bargain, only to discover it doesn't quite fit, or it looks different under natural lighting, or it just doesn't look good on me. I am becoming a much more discriminating shopper as my wardrobe fills out, though. I no longer become disappointed when my size is not available, since that's the rule rather than the exception.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
I love sales. I save most of my gear $$$ to the 2 seasonal sales at Barneys/Saks and Paul Smith where there are tremendous savings and I always find too many thing's I'd want in my size, even at sale time. But I only buy items that I would have paid full price for. If I didnt like it at full price, a lower tag isnt going to make an item more appealing for me as I don't like to dictate the wearability of an item by its price. A $200 shirt doesnt get more appealing at $50 if I didnt originally get moved by it at $200.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sales are also funny because what was once all priced the same is now priced based on size and color.

That is to say, take a handful of Borrelli shirts at the start of the season that are all priced at $400 a piece. The white and sky blue and simple striped shirts in common sizes will sell out first. Once the last sale markdown hits though, you will be able to pick up the shirts for 75% off, if you happen to be a 14.5 or 18.5 or other less-common size, or if you are willing to go for the less popular designs.

Imagine if the same principal applied to grocery shopping, where you could find less-popular foods at 75% off all the time.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by VersaceMan
Sales are also funny because what was once all priced the same is now priced based on size and color.

really? I never noticed that. For example if they have a size 15,16 shirt on sale and the same shirt in 18 I've never seen the odder size (18) for less. But I can see the logic behind it. Size 40 suits are gonna move faster than a size 46+ so might as well sell em for less to entice fat guys.

Luc-Emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
really? I never noticed that. For example if they have a size 15,16 shirt on sale and the same shirt in 18 I've never seen the odder size (18) for less. But I can see the logic behind it. Size 40 suits are gonna move faster than a size 46+ so might as well sell em for less to entice fat guys.
I think what he meant was, since the odd sizes won't move as fast, they are more likely to be the only sizes left, thus with the higher markdown.

!luc

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
So where are good sales in Hong Kong then?

What a shame I'm off to the UK tomorrow for a conference for a week. It's in sunny Sheffield but I'm going to be based in Manchester I think...

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Luc-Emmanuel
I think what he meant was, since the odd sizes won't move as fast, they are more likely to be the only sizes left, thus with the higher markdown.

!luc

Yep, thats what I meant.

Also, one other thing I never understood was that a size XS cashmere sweater or size 36S Super 180's suit is priced the same as the XXL sweater or 48L suit, when fabric costs are clearly a big part of the retail price, not to mention the extra stitches and time needed to construct that handmade suit or shirt.

jmatt

Reaction score
BTW: The Nordstrom's Summer Sale flyer shoes the Park Avenue at $195.
(or maybe its the Niles? What's the difference anyway?)

kitonbrioni

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by VersaceMan
Also, one other thing I never understood was that a size XS cashmere sweater or size 36S Super 180's suit is priced the same as the XXL sweater or 48L suit, when fabric costs are clearly a big part of the retail price, not to mention the extra stitches and time needed to construct that handmade suit or shirt.
Walmart charges more for the XXL sizes.

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
i never question if i can afford to buy out of sales, i am just not a huge fan of them (too many past bad purchases that have never been worn) i thort as Yesterday was my "get older by 1 year day" i would treat myself, as i still have to work sat morn (thus cant go home till sat afternoon) so i need to stay in HK otherwise i would not had the time for window shopping, so the more i wondered around Pacific Place to the Landmark and from there to IFC and then back to harbour city, the more i found it harder to buy stuff (her indoors just laugeds and she can help with this small issue!) and thing i did like where all next seasons abd the last thing i want to be buying now in a cashmere Gucci jumper and leather bike JKT as i wont be able to wear them untill at leat next November.

thru i did get a Spencer Hart tie in Harvey NIcks at half price as a small contalation prize - maybe i should have just gone to sauna!!! (just as hot!)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads