• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sales in the DC Beltway area?

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I stopped by Mazza Gallerie yesterday. Here's my report:

Saks: Lots of Barbera shirts, quite a few Borrelli shirts -- both still over $150 even with double markdowns. I didn't go upstairs to see what was in the suits section.

Neiman-Marcus: Hardly anything there in the dress clothes (suits, blazers, dress slacks). A salesman told me all had been removed to a warehouse, where they were sorting what they had in preparation for the Last Call sale - -at which time he said the stock (including, apparently, some items from other NM stores) would be brought back. He said the Last Call sale would start in about 10 days. As for sport clothes, there is alot out on sale, including tons of RLPL, a few Lorenzini shirts; even a very nice Kiton in size 17-1/2.

Filene's: Nothing new. Still loads of Zegna lightweight wool sweaters. A few leftover Avon Celli sweaters. Plus, amazingly, several Zegna suits on the 50% off rack (from $995), all with their "Richard's of Greenwich" retail labels and price tags of $1,895.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I checked out the Towson (MD) Loehmanns, Filenes, and Nordstrom rack yesterday - there was less than nothing...

I didn't think to ask anyone, but I think the Loehmann's up there might be getting rid of their men's area altogether. It was stunningly empty.

What was the color/cut of those zegna suits at the mazza filenes, if you remember, kabert? I may be in the market for a charcoal or lighter gray, plain or patterned suit at the right price...

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shoreman, the Zegna suits were conservative. IIRC, they were both gray, one with pinstripes, one just plain gray.

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of Nordstrom's Rack, on Saturday I also went to the Nordstrom's Rack in Rockville, MD -- the one next to the Home Depot off of Rt. 270/Shady Grove Rd. exit. My first time to a Nordstrom's Rack actually, and I was pretty impressed. They had a very impressive selection of Zanella slacks -- all on sale for $99.99, marked down from btw. $275-$345. Not the trendy triple pleat ones either. They also had a surprising number of Robert Talbott shirts, priced at $34.99 and $44.99, marked down from $145. Nice fabrics and conservative designs/colors too. And stacks and stacks of lesser-make shirts that Nordstrom's sells, including store brand. Unfortunately, none of the great Nordstroms underwear or socks were for sale. The shoe selection was also lousy. Suits and blazers had a decent selection that included Gieves and HF.

bryce330

Reaction score
Speaking of Nordstrom's Rack, on Saturday I also went to the Nordstrom's Rack in Rockville, MD -- the one next to the Home Depot off of Rt. 270/Shady Grove Rd. exit. Â My first time to a Nordstrom's Rack actually, and I was pretty impressed. Â They had a very impressive selection of Zanella slacks -- all on sale for $99.99, marked down from btw. $275-$345. Â Not the trendy triple pleat ones either. Â
Triple pleats are "trendy"? What is this, 1985?
smile.gif

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Neiman Marcus at Mazza Gallerie: The pre-sale for the Last Call sale has started. This means you can set aside stuff now and it will be charged to your credit card on Wednesday, Feb. 2nd (1st official day of LC sale). The last call price is 50% of whatever the current price is. Thus, those Oxxford slacks that were $575 originally and are now $400 will be $200 on Wednesday. Zanella and Incotex wool and wool/cashmere blend slacks that were originally $300-$425 will be in the $125-$175 range. Not much (of the good stuff) left in larger sized suits/blazers, but I noticed plenty of Brioni and Oxxford in the 40S and other smaller sizes. Some nice shirts available, but definitely not as many as in prior years -- no Borrellis in size 17 or 17.5; just two or three Lorenzinis; one (very nice) Kiton that will still be @$200 even with the LC 50% off. Lots of Ike Behar.

Saks at Mazza: Pretty decent sale. I think there should still be a further mark-down coming though (for example, really nice Zegna and Zanella slacks only have one markdown listed -- say, $350 to $225; I recall last year buying a couple of Zegna slacks for right around $100 each). As compared to NM, Saks has Bruno Cucinelli and Dunhill, as well as Isaia. Also have Hield suits and shirts (some very nice colors).

Filene's: Nothing new that I could see. Just waiting now for another couple weeks for the Barneys and Bergdorfs shipments to start arriving.

bigbadbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the salesman at the Mazza NM said their LC selection was bad b/c they didn't get anything from other stores. The Tyson's NM did, however, they had a pretty big amount of everything IMO except pants and shoes.

The Saks at Mazza had little left IMO, though I did find 1 dress shirt.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Dumb question: When should the Neimans/Bergdorfs stuff be appearing in the Last Call outlet stores?

alaaro

Reaction score
I was at Nordstrom yesterday at P City and the Men's Sale seems to be winding down. Still piles of dress shirts, but it's slim pickings. I only found two in my size, bought both. I think they are just extending this until they get rid of just about everything.

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Went to the Tysons NM today at the recommendation of someone here who said Tysons had a much better selection during this Last Call sale than Mazza. Wow, was that ever right. Incredible difference. Tysons had 3-4 times as much stuff, and that's compared to what Mazza had last Saturday. I was tempted by many many things, but walked away with two pairs of Oxxford slacks ($190 each; orig - $595); one Richard James shirt in an interesting heavy cotton ($75; orig - $275); and one Charvet shirt ($105; orig - $295). They had a decent number of Borrelli shirts left; even more Charvet; the usual Zegna; a surprising number of Oxxford Crest shirts (which, I noticed, do not appear to have any handwork, unlike the regular Oxxford shirts). There were a surprising number of pairs of Oxxford slacks in many different sizes -- it was very hard not to load up the credit card with 5 or 6 pairs of them; tons of Brioni; and a fair amount of Incotex slacks - -both wool dress slacks and cotton cords. I was very tempted by an Isaia suit ($800; orig - well over $2000). A decent number of Oxxford Crest blazers left. Oh, and a stunning Kiton black cashmere blazer in size 42/43L - - that was still something like $1,700. Tons of Brioni and Paul Smith sport shirts - -actually probably more Paul Smith than any other designer in blazers. And finally, one item that I really wanted but it was just a bit too small -- a dark brown Colombo coat that was fully lined in cashmere ($600, marked down from @$2,200). No shoes to speak of -- according to the excellent salesmen (really top notch I though), there were Lobbs for sale early on in the sale...

bigbadbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
according to the excellent salesmen (really top notch I though)
was he a younger guy, probably in his 20s? I didn't speak to him much when I was there but I heard him helping others and he was terrific- extremely knowledgable and polite.

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There were 4 or 5 different NM salesman who helped me at various times yesterday, though none was as young as age 20s. The one who helped me more than any other was around age 40.

drljva

Reaction score
(kabert @ Feb. 06 2005,19:58) according to the excellent salesmen (really top notch I though)
was he a younger guy, probably in his 20s? I didn't speak to him much when I was there but I heard him helping others and he was terrific- extremely knowledgable and polite.
Probably Keith Beres -- one of the younger guys there (though he's worked there for 13 years.). And yes, he's extremely courteous and knowledgable. Highly recommended. JV

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
By the way, I was told tomorrow (Tuesday, Feb 8) is the last day for the Last Call sale at NM.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Any news on when things might show up at our local FBs from Mitchells/Barneys/Bergdorfs/NM?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads