• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sales in the DC Beltway area?

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anybody in the beltway region see anything good? Any suggestions as to what I should check out?

Has the half annual sale at Nordstrom at Pentagon city started?

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I believe the Men's half yearly sale at Nordstrom is going on, though I haven't been to Pentagon City to check it out. You'll likely find some nifty adidas kicks (for around $50), seven, AG and Diesel jeans (for around $100), some "ugly" Ben Sherman shirts (for around $40), plenty of John W. Nordstrom dress shirts, which are all right (for around $50-$75)...

Checked the website: Talbott ties are $70, there's some cool puma stuff and Nike Blue/Red Dunks for $50.

Prices are better at the Anniversary sale in the summer.

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As for the timing of the big sales in DC, I decided to pull out my AmEx bills form this time last year to see when my big purchases were in early 2004.  Here's what I found:

Neiman Marcus Last Call:  On January 25th I bought a bunch of stuff; also on Feb. 7th, 2004.  So, I think we'll probably be waiting until about the last week of January 2005 for this year's last call sale to begin.

Saks:  I got two awesome pairs of Zegna slacks last year at Saks.  According to my credit card bill, I bought them on January 25th -- as I recall, they were something like 60% off.  So that was pretty much the maximum reduction at Saks.

Filenes:  Last year I splurged when the Bergdorf's shipment arrived at the Filene's in DC, buying three St. Andrew's suits among other things.  They were all @$600 each marked down from nearly $3,000 original retail.    According to my AmEx bill, I got two of those on February 13, 2004 and one a few days later.  So, around the first week or two of February, keep an eye on Section A of the Post and look for the Filene's ads for a "Big Shipment from a High-End New York Department Store" or similar language.  A big shipment from Barney's should be arriving around the same time -- I think it arrived a couple of weeks after the Bergdorf's shipment.  Now that I think about it, there was also a shipment that came from the high-end Connecticut duo of Richard's and Mitchell's.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just learned from the Washington Post website that Relish (Nancy Pearlstein's store) is having a half-yearly sale beginning January 7.  Up to 50% off fall and winter clothing and shoes.  Relish prices are around Neiman-Marcus territory, so nothing will be dirt cheap, but it might be worth checking out.

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
C, I went into Relish about a month ago and was a bit surprised by the prices. Neiman-Marcus is right -- the prices are high; on the other hand, they carry some things (such as several models of John Lobb shoes) that are hard to find elsewhere in the area.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I went to NM Mazza Gallerie over the weekend.  Very disappointing.  Even at only 25% off, the selection was quite pedestrian in both sportswear and dress shirts in my size.  The one thing NM does very well is ties, and I think I might wait for Last Call to pick some up.

You're better off heading across the foyer to Saks, where Act 2 (40% off) is currently ongoing.

doood

Reaction score
The Nordies sale is ok. I picked up a pair of Seven jeans for $85. As an aside, coming from Chicago, I find the shopping around the DC metro area prettty abyssmal. If anyone has any recs for good boutique-y type stores I'd love to hear them.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nordstrom's was kind of blah. i had a 50 dollar giftcard, so i got a john w. nordstrom shirt for a few bucks more than that. nothing special.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep, Nordstrom's sale was ho-hum. Â Their big thing is shoes, but they didn't have any models I wanted on sale.
If anyone has any recs for good boutique-y type stores I'd love to hear them.
Relish (see thread for more discussion) is heaven if you like any of the following designers/brands: Martin Margiela, Dries Van Noten, Neil Barrett, Paul Smith, Comme des Garcons. Â Particularly the Belgians. Â The half-yearly sale that starts this Friday should be worth checking out.

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just spoke to the folks at Relish on the phone. They have one model of Lobbs on sale for 50% off (or perhaps that's all they have left) -- it's the double monk, for $397.00. I asked whether they had any size 12s or 13s in stock and she told me right away that she knew they have 12s.

Duveen

Reaction score
I can speak from experience - there are no 13s. They don't carry them new and also don't have them on sale. The model that they have is a double-monk with a fairly thick rubber sole. It is the Lobb by Hermes (as you all know...) and I was not totally blown away. The double-monk is not even - it is not like the Felstead, but instead like the William , or more uneven still. I'd recommend seeing it in person if in the DC area (or getting a photo if not here) before ordering.

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For those of you who know Sky Valet....

Currently, this shoe store (and cobblers) -- probably the best shoe store in DC -- located just above Georgetown on Wisconsin Avenue carries Vass, Alden, Sargent, Yanko and J.M. Weston. While in there over the weekend, one of the (very nice) owners told me that he hoped within the next two weeks to know whether they'd be getting a new shoe line. When I urged him on as to whether it was Edward Green, Lobb or some other make, he said he couldn't say yet. "It's too soon to say." Anyway, let's hope it's something good.... One more thing -- he also mentioned that the reason they have all Sargent's at 20% off is that they're going to cease carrying Sargent in the near future.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For those of you who know Sky Valet....

Currently, this shoe store (and cobblers) -- probably the best shoe store in DC -- located just above Georgetown on Wisconsin Avenue carries Vass, Alden, Sargent, Yanko and J.M. Weston.  While in there over the weekend, one of the (very nice) owners told me that he hoped within the next two weeks to know whether they'd be getting a new shoe line.    When I urged him on as to whether it was Edward Green, Lobb or some other make, he said he couldn't say yet.  "It's too soon to say."   Anyway, let's hope it's something good....  One more thing -- he also mentioned that the reason they have all Sargent's at 20% off is that they're going to cease carrying Sargent in the near future.
Yep.  I was at Sky Valet last weekend and bought a pair of black cap-toe Sargents.  I was helped by the younger-looking owner.  He was very helpful and attentive, in marked contrast to the "service" at Brooks Brothers.  He told me (as he told me before) that they were dropping Sargent because of Sargent's lack of responsiveness, but couldn't give me more details on what brand they would pick up.

drljva

Reaction score
(kabert @ Jan. 10 2005,14:49) For those of you who know Sky Valet.... Currently, this shoe store (and cobblers) -- probably the best shoe store in DC -- located just above Georgetown on Wisconsin Avenue carries Vass, Alden, Sargent, Yanko and J.M. Weston. Â While in there over the weekend, one of the (very nice) owners told me that he hoped within the next two weeks to know whether they'd be getting a new shoe line. Â Â When I urged him on as to whether it was Edward Green, Lobb or some other make, he said he couldn't say yet. Â "It's too soon to say." Â Anyway, let's hope it's something good.... Â One more thing -- he also mentioned that the reason they have all Sargent's at 20% off is that they're going to cease carrying Sargent in the near future.
Yep. Â I was at Sky Valet last weekend and bought a pair of black cap-toe Sargents. Â I was helped by the younger-looking owner. Â He was very helpful and attentive, in marked contrast to the "service" at Brooks Brothers. Â He told me (as he told me before) that they were dropping Sargent because of Sargent's lack of responsiveness, but couldn't give me more details on what brand they would pick up.
Indeed, Sky Valet is a place I'd recommend. I recently special-ordered some Vass shoes from them (Alt Wein on Budapest last). Still, I wish they had more in-stock in my size (13US). It seems to take them _forever_ to get stuff sent to them from the shoe makers they deal with (even Alden...). JV

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads