• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sales in Chicago?

EasyGoing

Reaction score
I'll be heading to Chicago this weekend, my second trip there and the first time I will be there for more than 24 hours. Are there any notable sales or stores I should not miss? Items not procurable elsewhere are obviously preferred. TIA.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

rssmsvc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is that sale open to anyone ?

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you like Brioni you will love Morris and Sons.
Stefano Ricci has a little section now with mostly good taste items.

They do have a few unconstructed Borrelli cashmere at about $1000 with the sale. Some Luciano Barbera but not much.

Some decent Sutors can be found, handgrade still about $500+
Always a great place to pick up ties at a decent discount.

The sales guys are heavily commission driven so be prepared for a bit of hovering and 'everything looks great on you'
wink.gif

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm going to check out Morris & Sons for a suit. Could someone offer me some suggestions as far as what brands I should look for and which one I should stay away from. I'm looking to spend about $500 or less. Feel free to pm me with any helpful information. Thanks,
Grad

rssmsvc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Soph
Stefano Ricci has a little section now with mostly good taste items.

I wanted to check out some of his ties after the recent thread on them. Where else do you find Borrelli in Chicago ?

jcs913

Reaction score
I was there last week and picked up a pair of Mantellassi's for $100. Not the top of the line, but a nice pair. They had set up the sweaters table and were just about to do the pants. The sweater discount was 1 for $300, 2 for $550. All the sweaters I saw were mostly Brioni, Cucinelli, etc. Nice stuff!! I wish they has started the pants. Usually, they go at least 50-75% off retail for winter styles. Stock Up!!

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rssmsvc
I wanted to check out some of his ties after the recent thread on them. Where else do you find Borrelli in Chicago ?

No where. Saks/Neimans is all US cut (huge) crap dress shirts. I'd like Morris and Sons better if they would leave me alone and just answer my questions. Us SF members know much more than their staff, alot more from my experience, and know what we want. Also, unless its Brioni, you can find better deals on similar items via ebay. I'd say they are still about 30% higher than ebay equivalent.

rssmsvc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No where. Saks/Neimans is all US cut (huge) crap dress shirts. I'd like Morris and Sons better if they would leave me alone and just answer my questions. Us SF members know much more than their staff, alot more from my experience, and know what we want. Also, unless its Brioni, you can find better deals on similar items via ebay. I'd say they are still about 30% higher than ebay equivalent.

Thank you. I will check out the local stores then by me for Ricci ties , I really just wanted to see a Borrelli suit in person to see what they are like. The Ricci Suits I saw at M&S about a year ago I think were made by St. Andrews and were outstanding in construction but very pimpish with differing lapels and such.

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
George Greene carries the most interesting assortment of things in Chicago.

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by johnapril
George Greene carries the most interesting assortment of things in Chicago.

Yes, if you love Kiton RTW at full retail prices, you will love George Greene. Saks also has a nice Kiton Section at ridiculous prices. $8000+ for an overcoat. $1,500 for a v neck sweater. etc. etc.Why pay this when you can walk across the street and get bespoke by Despos for less?

Broadway

Reaction score
We recently visted Morris & Sons' new space and were disappointed. Much nicer space, but the prices were higher, e.g. in the old store, Brioni sport shirts were often 3 for $240. Now, they are $140 each and up, which is still 1/2 off retail, but not the amazing deal that made it worth dealing with the hovering salesmen (who are very nice, but not subtle) and the pressure to buy.

Speaking of Borelli, just today I picked up a sweet pair of slacks at the State St. Filene's 60% off clearance rack for a grand total of $54. There are also some great sport coats on that rack (Zegna, Gieves & Hawkes, Borelli), just not in my size. Worth a look for the bargain-hunting inclined.

rssmsvc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, if you love Kiton RTW at full retail prices, you will love George Greene. Saks also has a nice Kiton Section at ridiculous prices. $8000+ for an overcoat. $1,500 for a v neck sweater. etc. etc.Why pay this when you can walk across the street and get bespoke by Despos for less?
That is exactly what I was thinking, actually anything RTW over 2K in my opinion , in Chicago, would be better spent going to see Mr. Despos and having it done perfectly for you even if you have to save more to meet the cost.

EasyGoing

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice so far.

Is Morris & Sons a discounter?

Also, more generally, where is a good neighborhood where I can find smaller boutiques for the gf?

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rssmsvc
That is exactly what I was thinking, actually anything RTW over 2K in my opinion , in Chicago, would be better spent going to see Mr. Despos and having it done perfectly for you even if you have to save more to meet the cost.

I said interesting.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads