• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sale shoes @ e. green

AJL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Received a response from E. Green concerning sale items available in my size: Dear Sir Here is list of sale shoes in size 7E , prices are £247 tax free, shipping for one pair is £30. 7E PLYMOUTH BURNT PINE 888 LAST PLYMOUTH BLACK 606 HARROW DARK OAK 61 MALVERN BLACK 202 DOVER CHESTNUT 202 (£264 TAX FREE) HOLBORN COGNAC SUEDE (TAN ) 808 CARDIFF BURGUNDY CORDOVAN 202 RYE BURNT PINE 808 FAWSLEY DARK OAK 888 SANDRINGHAM BLACK (RUBBER SOLE) 202 ELMSLEY BURGUNDY 606 CONISTON BLACK 202 ASQUITH (NO MEDALLION ON TOE CAP) 606 FALMOUTH BLACK 606 Kind regards Edward Green and Co ..................... My question: As I am not looking for a dress shoe as of the moment, would any of these be considered suitable for casual wear, even (god forbid
cry.gif
) w/ jeans? Specifically, I am wondering about the chestnut Dovers (how do they look in 202 last?), and the Holborn in cognac suede (anyone ever seen this color? It's not in the catalogue, though the shoe is shown in mink suede). I saw a better picture of the Holborn on one of those Japanese shoe-Appreciation sites in black on a 606 last, http://www11.plala.or.jp/kiki-mo....orn.htm I am not really much of a loafer guy, so the Harrow is basically out, though I'm sure its quite nice for what it is. Actually I am more of a boot & buckle kind of guy (witness my current C&J order for chelsea, chiltern & savile) but unfortunately no boots here, and the Falmouth, while probably very nice, I would prefer with one or more of the following options: storm welt; one of the antique browns--edwardian I think--; double leather sole. What can I say, I'm basically a casual guy at heart (though elegantly so, I like to think). Still, I'm sure the black Falmouth is quite beautiful, and I really am a sucker for a nice monkstrap... Â
tounge.gif
Edit: I should add that I don't mind mixing up a dressier looking shoe with a more casual outfit, as long as it does not look like a mistake (this is somewhat subjective, I understand). I also consider it a plus for a shoe to be able to crossover from casual to dressy and vice versa, hence my attraction to monks & boots.

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I've worn my Dovers with jeans, and they look great. Coniston is a country shoe and would look fine casually. Sandringham is a wingtip blucher, and with rubber soles, it could work casually. Falmouth, particularly if it has a fudge welt as in the catalogue could work, too. I've never seen EG's cognac suede, but I imagine that it's a medium-brown suede with red overtones kind of like the fox suede on p. 3 of the current catalogue. The Holborn in cognac suede would be a smashing casual shoe. I have a JL Paris Perrier in tobacco suede, which is similar in idea to the Holborn in cognac, and it's great.

If it were me, I'd go with the Dovers or the Holborns.

AJL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've worn my Dovers with jeans, and they look great. Coniston is a country shoe and would look fine casually. Sandringham is a wingtip blucher, and with rubber soles, it could work casually. Falmouth, particularly if it has a fudge welt as in the catalogue could work, too. I've never seen EG's cognac suede, but I imagine that it's a medium-brown suede with red overtones kind of like the fox suede on p. 3 of the current catalogue. The Holborn in cognac suede would be a smashing casual shoe. I have a JL Paris Perrier in tobacco suede, which is similar in idea to the Holborn in cognac, and it's great.

If it were me, I'd go with the Dovers or the Holborns.
jcusey,
Thanks for your input. A few follow-up questions/ considerations:

What last/ color are your Dovers? It seems to me a double sole and/or a country grain might add to the casual nature of the shoe, but the one they've listed has neither. Do you have a sense of how the Dover might look in a 202 last ?

We are in agreement that the Falmouth w/ fudge welt would be right up my alley, but alas the sale-priced shoe one would assume is simply a single leather sole. Had I the means at the moment, I would certainly consider ordering just such a shoe at full price.

As far as the cognac suede, your descriptive guess seems as good as any, were it not for the (tan) following the shoe listing provided by the sender. I definitely think of cognac as having red or maybe amber tones, but "tan" would not seem to fit this bill. Of course "tan" is a fairly generic and broad-based color grouping, in the same way that "brown" covers a pretty broad range of colors and variations. Anybody else familiar w/ e. green's "cognac suede" or have a picture of shoe sporting same?

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
What last/ color are your Dovers? It seems to me a double sole and/or a country grain might add to the casual nature of the shoe, but the one they've listed has neither. Do you have a sense of how the Dover might look in a 202 last ?
808, Edwardian Antique. I think that Dovers usually come with double soles, and I suspect that the description might have omitted it because of that. Here's a picture from Jun Kuwana's site of the Dover on the 202 last:
DSC01160.JPG
I don't think you should try to classify shoes with miniscule variations in casualness. Yes, a Scotch-grain Dover would be more casual than a smooth-leather Dover, all other things being equal, but there's no question that either one would look good with anything from sportcoats to jeans.
We are in agreement that the Falmouth w/ fudge welt would be right up my alley, but alas the sale-priced shoe one would assume is simply a single leather sole. Had I the means at the moment, I would certainly consider ordering just such a shoe at full price.
You shouldn't just assume. They may not have thought to mention it since Falmouth often has a fudge welt.
As far as the cognac suede, your descriptive guess seems as good as any, were it not for the (tan) following the shoe listing provided by the sender. I definitely think of cognac as having red or maybe amber tones, but "tan" would not seem to fit this bill.
Tan as the British understand it is typically a deeper and richer color than tan as Americans usually understand it. In any event, the folks at Edward Green have been sampling some pretty sorry cognac if their cognac suede isn't a medium brown with a considerable amount of red in it. Regardless, if you have doubt and you're interested in the shoe, I would ask them to compare the color to a smooth leather color that you are familiar with.

My View

Reaction score
Can someone tell me how these shoes look like? I tried looking in my catalogue but couldn't locate them. Would appreciate pictures or weblinks to see how they look like.

NEWMARKET BLACK 202 £264 TAX FREE
CONISTON BLACK 202

Also, does anyone know how the fitting of "Last 202" and "Last 606" differ? I read in the catalogue that "606 has the comfort of 202 but slightly square"

Thank you

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Can someone tell me how these shoes look like? I tried looking in my catalogue but couldn't locate them. Would appreciate pictures or weblinks to see how they look like. NEWMARKET BLACK 202 £264 TAX FREE CONISTON BLACK 202 Also, does anyone know how the fitting of "Last 202" and "Last 606" differ? I read in the catalogue that "606 has the comfort of 202 but slightly square" Thank you
Newmarket is a Chelsea boot:
06-05_m.jpg
Coniston is a country shoe:
05-02_m.jpg
A good place for EG pictures is dressy.net. Another good place is Jun Kuwana's website. 202 and 606 fit very similarly. The only major difference is in the toe shape, which doesn't impact the fit at all.

Nick M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another good place is Jun Kuwana's website.
I was just looking at Jun's website again - I like that fact that nearly all his bespoke brogued shoes have his initials punched into them somewhere. Not something I would do, but interesting nonetheless. Has anyone thought to invite him over here?

HitMan009

Reaction score
Everyone, Looking more and more at the different lasts, it seems to me the the 808 has a lower toe box where the 606 has a slightly higher toe box. The 888 last has an even higher toe box. Am I right in this assumption? I am in favor of shoes with a slight square toe thus these would the lasts of my choice. I tried doing a search on this forum but the search function seems to not return anything of significance. If someone can give an comprehensive details of each last(hint hint, A Harris....
wink.gif
), that would be much appreciated. HitMan009

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very interesting AJL. That's quite a varied list. How nice and industrious of them to send it to you as well, rather than replying for you to just give them a call. And, the price quoted is actually 3 pounds less than what "English-Shoes" charges (the EBay seller many of us have ordered EGs from).

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
JL, I just took your lead and sent EG an email asking them if they have any Dover's in my size. I've been waiting and waiting for a pair of the Dover model to come up for sale on EBay. Since they're the same price as I can get from that EBay seller (about $450), it's worth a shot.

AJL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AJL,23 June 2004, 11:25
808, Edwardian Antique. I think that Dovers usually come with double soles, and I suspect that the description might have omitted it because of that. Here's a picture from Jun Kuwana's site of the Dover on the 202 last:
DSC01160.JPG
I don't think you should try to classify shoes with miniscule variations in casualness. Yes, a Scotch-grain Dover would be more casual than a smooth-leather Dover, all other things being equal, but there's no question that either one would look good with anything from sportcoats to jeans.
You shouldn't just assume. They may not have thought to mention it since Falmouth often has a fudge welt.
As far as the cognac suede, your descriptive guess seems as good as any, were it not for the (tan) following the shoe listing provided by the sender. I definitely think of cognac as having red or maybe amber tones, but "tan" would not seem to fit this bill.
Tan as the British understand it is typically a deeper and richer color than tan as Americans usually understand it. In any event, the folks at Edward Green have been sampling some pretty sorry cognac if their cognac suede isn't a medium brown with a considerable amount of red in it. Regardless, if you have doubt and you're interested in the shoe, I would ask them to compare the color to a smooth leather color that you are familiar with.
I just shot off the following email to e. green: Greetings once again, Thank you so much for your recent response. Of the shoes you've listed, three are of interest to me: the Dover, Â Holborn & Falmouth, though I do have one question regarding each. Firstly, does the Dover have a double sole? If so, I am most certainly interested in purchasing it. Regarding the Falmouth, does it have a fudge welt (as shown in your catalogue)? If so, I would be very interested in making this purchase as well. Lastly, I wonder if you could provide a bit more detail as regards the tonality of "cognac suede" , or perhaps a comparison with any of your other suede or smooth leather colors. Also, do you offer any type of shipping discount for sending out more than one pair of shoes at a time? Thanks again for your time and consideration. I await your response at your earliest convenience, and look forward to doing business with you. Naturally I understand that all of the above is predicated on the current availabilty of the aforementioned shoes. Kind regards, Andrew Lieberman Boston, USA ................................... stay tuned...

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm not interested in any of these (correction: I AM interested in some of these, but I'm not going to buy any of them), so for the edification of all you UK 9.5Es out there:

ASQUITH BLACK 888 LAST
CADOGAN CHESTNUT 202
MONTPELLIER BLACK 184
RYE BURNT PINE 808
FAWSLEY BURNT PINE 888
TROON BURNT PINE 202
MALVERN CHESTNUT 202
MONTPELLIER DARK OAK 184
MALVERN BLACK 202

Another word of advice, Andrew: If you're really interested in the shoes, pick up the phone and call the store. You should be able to get your questions answered quickly, and you won't run the risk of the shoes you want being sold while you're waiting for a return e-mail.

AJL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another word of advice, Andrew: If you're really interested in the shoes, pick up the phone and call the store. You should be able to get your questions answered quickly, and you won't run the risk of the shoes you want being sold while you're waiting for a return e-mail.

jcusey--

Truer words were never spoken: the Holborn & Dover are sold, though the Falmouth is still available (w/ fudge welt as you suggested). Truth is, I can't really afford (or justify) any more shoes at the moment anyway, though I do hate to pass up a "good value". Now I'll have to ponder the falmouth in black (I really wish it had been brown...)

My View

Reaction score
jcusey> thank you very much for the photos. I know I can always rely on you guys.

tattersall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For those interested in 8.5E, EG sent me the following list of available shoes:

KINGSTON DARK OAK 888 LAST
BERKELEY BLACK 808
FAWSLEY DARK OAK 888
CONISTON BLACK 202
WESTMINSTER DARK OAK 202
SANDRINGHAM BLACK (RUBBER SOLE)202
MALVERN BLACK 202

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics