1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Salary vs Suit prices

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by dingdongbell, Aug 29, 2011.

1. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

Ok chief, I quoted every post I made in this thread.

please share where I said that I can not afford a good suit?

2. yachtie

yachtie Senior member

Good for you! Next you can take reading lessions as that's not what I said.

3. Trompe le Monde

Trompe le Monde Senior member

this turns more and more interesting

4. yachtie

yachtie Senior member

If you're going by fashion, then it makes sense to buy cheap . The whole RTW industry is driven by it. "A fashion is merely a form of ugliness so unbearable that we are compelled to alter it every six months." Oscar Wilde

5. projectrtown

projectrtown Active Member

Public service interpretation: Yachtie meant that Quadcammer could not tell how long a suit may last "by his own admission", not that he didn't own a good suit "by his own admission."
    And this was because he was referring to his own post, and not Quadcammer's response.
    Carry on.

6. projectrtown

You can call it fashion, but I called it style. Your aesthetic sensibilities change ("evolve" would be a biased term) over time. So I put the question to you: Do you prefer the boxy, thick shouldered look from 10 years ago? Wouldn't you prefer a leaner suit now?

7. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Senior member Dubiously Honored

It's true that your taste may change over time, but (ideally) this is driven by your changing status, body type, and age, rather than changes in fashion trends. Since what looks good on you is determined by your personality, body type, and complexion, not what Prada is selling right now. The personal changes I mentioned generally move much slower than fashion trends. So to answer your question, personally, I never was into the boxy thick shouldered look...nor am I into the superskinny lapels now. I bought a fair number of suits 10 years ago when I was finishing college. With one exception which was a suit that was more for going out than for business, and doesn't really look right on the 30-year old me like it did on the 20-year old me, I would gladly put on any of these suits tomorrow. So I think yachtie had it right - if you're going for a look that's "edgy" or whatever you want to call a more fashion-type look, then yes, you'll have to change your wardrobe every 5 years to stick with the times. But if you're going for a classic men's look while avoiding the caricature of many fashion suits, your suits will likely not go out of style. Witness any number of fashion icons of yesteryear - when you look at pictures of, say, Cary Grant, do you ever think to yourself, wow, THAT would look terrible today....

8. yachtie

yachtie Senior member

No value judgment implied. I haven't bought RTW for a very long time so my suits are neither the look of 10 years ago nor are they the look of now. My "look" is to suit my aesthetic and the peculiarities of my body. As to aesthetic sensabilities changing, sure. I ordered my older suits with significant cutaway on the fronts and now I'm trying square fronts. I still wear the older stuff but those desicions are mine, not some fashion designer's.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2011
  9. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

What a fantastic troll thread this has become.

10. Fred49

Fred49 Senior member

11. thenanyu

thenanyu Senior member

MC always brings the fail.

12. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

awesome.

Now, where did I say I don't know how long a good suit lasts or that I don't own one?

13. thenanyu

thenanyu Senior member

quad: oh, thats right, I forgot only you can afford good suits right?

yacht: Not only me, but certainly not you; by your own admission.

quad: please share where I said that I can not afford a good suit?

yacht: Good for you! Next you can take reading lessions as that's not what I said.

14. CharlesAlexander

CharlesAlexander Senior member

The New York City scale:

Salary USD$ under 800,000- Jos A Banks
    Salary USD$ 800,000 - 1,000,000 - Men's warehouse
    Salary USD$ 1,000,000- 2,000,000- Syms
    Salary USD$ 2,000,000 -10,000,000- Macy's
    Salary USD$ 10,000,000+ Orange jumpsuit

15. academe

academe Senior member

Yachtie this thread is like a train wreck ... Just DON'T...get...sucked...in... :fu:

16. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

he's pretty much to blame for it.

17. projectrtown

unbelragazzo:
    Yachtie's post was in the context of why you would prefer a different suit every 5 years v. wearing the same one for 15.
    You have raised different reasons to prefer cheaper, shorter duration suits. I put forward style (fashion, fad, evolving aesthetics, call it what you will) as one of the reasons because it drives my suit purchases. Nonetheless, in giving advice, and in the broader context of this thread, I am making the argument for cheaper, shorter lived, suits. Your arguments here -- and I find them convincing -- would support that assertion.

18. projectrtown

I suppose it comes down to personal choice. I find my older suits -- they were very nice labels, but RTW -- not easy to wear.

And here is another argument: I find that the designers often have much better ideas about style, design, etc, than I do. So maybe part of the difference comes down to the fact that you may know what you want in a suit, whereas I would prefer someone put stuff together and I choose what looks good to me after.

19. yachtie

yachtie Senior member

No one is forced to take advice. ::laugh:

20. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Senior member Dubiously Honored

It is true that sometimes designers can come up with great ideas you might not have thought of yourself. But at the same time, a lot of designers are just throwing a bunch of crap on the wall and hoping something sticks, or at least stands out from the crowd enough that some people like it and buy it at a ridiculous price, rather than really carefully considering aesthetics and making departures that they think are valuable. And, even then, these departures will look great on some people, and terrible on others (Tom Ford, for example)...so just because you see somebody else that looks awesome in it doesn't mean you should buy it. Not saying you do this, but people in general...hence "fashion victims"...