• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Salary vs Suit prices

projectrtown

Reaction score
I tried to put the point more delicately than Reevolving, but Yachtie and I got into a similar debate not even 5 posts back.

Suppose we were to grant that your personal style 20 years ago did not follow all these, but are you saying that your suits back then didn't have *any* of these features? That all around you this was considered popular and cool, but even then you saw this look as ugly? That no subset of these features crept into your personal wardrobe? How could the popular taste of the time not exert an influence?

Yachtie assures me this is the case with his own wardrobe. I can't imagine what these suits would look like now or 20 years ago, but I take him at his word.

I knew this entrepreneur who had lived through the ,com era and i asked him if he had believed in the .com valuations based on eyeballs and the frictionless economy and all those other fashions of the late 90s technology boom. He told me that he would have had to be a sociopath not the believe it. That if you are involved in society, of course it would have an influence you.

Now there is a whole bunch of people claiming not to be influenced by what is fashionable. The thing about clothes -- unlike, say, pottery -- is that every walk in the street, read in a magazine, or turning on of the tv exerts some influence.

WOW, just wow:

The delusion of the human mind at work:
  • Giant lapels
  • Gorge at your chest
  • Padded shoulders
  • Long as ****
  • Triple Pleats
  • Cuffed pants
  • Baggy as ****

Yup, you look like a million bucks!
Keep it up!

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
My favorite suit was made well before I was born, and I think it still looks great:

avengers-waist-1.gif

mlongano

Reaction score

I tried to put the point more delicately than Reevolving, but Yachtie and I got into a similar debate not even 5 posts back.

Suppose we were to grant that your personal style 20 years ago did not follow all these, but are you saying that your suits back then didn't have *any* of these features? That all around you this was considered popular and cool, but even then you saw this look as ugly? That no subset of these features crept into your personal wardrobe? How could the popular taste of the time not exert an influence?

Yachtie assures me this is the case with his own wardrobe. I can't imagine what these suits would look like now or 20 years ago, but I take him at his word.

I knew this entrepreneur who had lived through the ,com era and i asked him if he had believed in the .com valuations based on eyeballs and the frictionless economy and all those other fashions of the late 90s technology boom. He told me that he would have had to be a sociopath not the believe it. That if you are involved in society, of course it would have an influence you.

Now there is a whole bunch of people claiming not to be influenced by what is fashionable. The thing about clothes -- unlike, say, pottery -- is that every walk in the street, read in a magazine, or turning on of the tv exerts some influence.
I understand your questions and comments however... ...I came of age in the late fifties and early sixties. In the fifties and early sixties suits were all pretty much the same and classic by today's standards. Normal sized lapels, cuffs on the pants, pleated trousers, etc. All RTW that I know of back in the fifties were fairly high quality, made in the USA clothes...fully canvassed, high quality wools, etc. This is what I grew up with and this is what I stuck to. I started having my suits custom made in the late seventies and early eighties when you could no longer find the suits I've described. Throughout the eighties and nineties I had about forty or fifty suits made. I wore suits five days per week, sometimes six. But fifty suits in rotation each suit was only worn about five times per year, and when I gave them away in 1999 most looked nearly new. When I started wearing suits again a couple of years ago I found a custom tailor, bought the fabrics from England and continued having the same suit made again. I am happy with the look that I have worn for forty years and don't see a need to change it.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

e. The thing about clothes -- unlike, say, pottery -- is that every walk in the street, read in a magazine, or turning on of the tv exerts some influence.
There are guys who've been wearing 501s since before you were born. Why would you assume the same thing couldn't happen with other pieces of clothing? The idea that people are clay being molded on a daily basis by what the media pushes out is nice in theory. In reality look at most guys over a certain age. They drink the same beer they did in college. They dress the same way they have for years. Odds are they drive the same brand of car. Companies don't spend so much try to hook the young just for kicks. Most people get hooked and stay hooked. Of course look at most guys over say 50 many are still wearing the same suits they bought years ago. If they buy a new one the old ones rarely get thrown out.

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think that for some of us what's going on with fashion is much less influential that you think: Let's look at Reevolving's list: Giant lapels - Proportional for me, may be too big for someone else Gorge at your chest - gorge height is driven by the relative length of your torso and legs, mine are about a handwidth below by shoulder Padded shoulders - some- I have a dropped shoulder with large traps and I don't like the "natural shoulder" look Long as **** - Don't know what "as ****" means re:length, but I like my jacket to cover ******, so it does Triple Pleats - 2 pleats, either forward or reverse as it suits me Cuffed pants - you bet, they're not jeans. Baggy as **** - sort of the antithesis of bespoke, I like a clean chest so I skipped the whole "drape" thing here and elsewhere. It's really is possible to have your own look. Some will like it , others won't. Couldn't care less.

Master Squirrel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

There are guys who've been wearing 501s since before you were born. Why would you assume the same thing couldn't happen with other pieces of clothing?

The idea that people are clay being molded on a daily basis by what the media pushes out is nice in theory. In reality look at most guys over a certain age. They drink the same beer they did in college. They dress the same way they have for years. Odds are they drive the same brand of car.

Companies don't spend so much try to hook the young just for kicks. Most people get hooked and stay hooked.

Of course look at most guys over say 50 many are still wearing the same suits they bought years ago. If they buy a new one the old ones rarely get thrown out.

^This. You are not going to see me wearing anything from flashy designers or with features I have not grown to appreciate. I want to wear the same damn "1930's university professor" style until I die. For example: only my dinner jackets are double breasted. Nothing wrong with DB, it is just not my thing.

Last edited:

projectrtown

Reaction score
I got the impression that people were claiming that their wardrobes are timeless. Not that their tastes don't change.

It is one thing to claim that you have the same taste you developed 20 years ago, but its another to say that the clothes "look the same." Our perceptions are not what they used to be.

Some of these looks definitely look dated the way "big hair" from the 80s looks dated. The two obvious examples are large, padded shoulders and a boxy cut. Personally, I find that I don't like pleats anymore -- and I had tons of pleated pants. I used to think they lent formality and help you set them apart from casual pants. They don't look nice to my eye anymore. I can live with lapel sizes, etc.

To put it another way, you wouldn't argue that these people look fashionable the way you would not argue that people who drink the same beer are connoisseurs. (Did they miss the microbrewery rage?) Its not a judgement on the person, they are just doing what they like.

There are guys who've been wearing 501s since before you were born. Why would you assume the same thing couldn't happen with other pieces of clothing?

The idea that people are clay being molded on a daily basis by what the media pushes out is nice in theory. In reality look at most guys over a certain age. They drink the same beer they did in college. They dress the same way they have for years. Odds are they drive the same brand of car.

Companies don't spend so much try to hook the young just for kicks. Most people get hooked and stay hooked.

Of course look at most guys over say 50 many are still wearing the same suits they bought years ago. If they buy a new one the old ones rarely get thrown out.

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

There are guys who've been wearing 501s since before you were born.
Why would you assume the same thing couldn't happen with other pieces of clothing?

Have you seen jeans from 20 years ago?
Acid washed.
Stone washed.
High waisted.
Pleated.
Bell bottoms.
High rise.
Low rise.
Light blue.
Dark blue
Medium blue
Dad jeans.
Mom jeans

Jeans are just another form of style.
People at SF replace their jeans every 2-3 years.
Jeans from 4 years ago look comically outdated, and are laughed off SF.
Get with the FASHION!

In fact, here are some awesome 501s from 20 years ago.
Rock on, you delusional "timeless gentleman"....
This Bud's for you!

Last edited:

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

3 buttons is laughed off this forum.
Get with the FASHION !

Geez- And here I am thinking about something like this:

LondonBespoke1969Child.jpg

It's more fun to make fashion, than follow it.

Last edited:

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's really is possible to have your own look. Some will like it , others won't. Couldn't care less.

Pee Wee Herman also has his own look
Here's a "timeless gentleman" phone to go with your suits.
Welcome to SF !

I've been here a good deal longer than you, boyo.

Better sign off, your momma's calling.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads