1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Salary vs Suit prices

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by dingdongbell, Aug 29, 2011.

1. fab100

fab100 Active Member

Salary USD$ $75,000 to $100,000 - 400$ suit
    Salary USD$ $100,000 to $200,000 - 1000$ suit
    Salary USD$ $200,000 to $500,000 - 2k suit
    Salary USD$ $500,000 plus - 3k+ suit

2. MrOnBicycle

MrOnBicycle Member

I'd say that you should buy a suit that you can afford to wear. I.e you shouldn't not wear it fearing that it will be worn out, get dirty etc. There is no point in having a piece of clothing that you don't want to use because it's too expensive. No I'm not saying that one should redecorate the house in his finest suit.

Nice forum by the way. :)

3. Reevolving

Reevolving Senior member

Here's another little secret you delusional little child. You'll be much fatter in 20 years.
    Overwhelming odds are, your clothing won't even FIT you even a few years from now.

That is the other utterly laughable aspect of the idiots on SF claiming to buy this "forever timeless gentleman" nonsense.
    Outside of shoes, none of this stuff will fit you 5 years from now,
    not to mention how disgustingly out of style it will ALL be, to boot

Last edited: Sep 4, 2011
  4. Doug11

Doug11 Well-Known Member

I am a mulit-millionaire and buy my suits 2nd hand from Ebay (not bragging - just pointing out the ludicrousness of thsi thread).

It's a bit like saying to a skinny person "I would love to be skinny, then I could eat anything I want" .

5. forex

forex Senior member

You are a such fucking idiot

2 people like this.
  6. Reevolving

Reevolving Senior member

English please.

7. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

Sums up this thread quite nicely, well done sir, end thread...

8. Charlyd

Charlyd New Member

Buy a nice italian suit, look great and you'll get a good job and a high salary.

9. Amelorn

Amelorn Senior member

That was an example of some of the English language's oldest and choicest words (when properly deployed).

Growing fat is not a certainty. Currently, it's a historically brief deviation from the norm. More personally, I already was very fat (220 on 5'11"). Then I dropped to 160 and have stayed there for some years. I'm a 33 trouser. My uncles are 32-34." My grandfather is a 35"...down from a 39" 4 years ago. Dad is a 37", but he's a diabetic who subsists on take-out. I know my caloric intake and exercise anyway for health....and you bet your ass that I "pay my bill" when there's some event which involves beer or fatty food. Excess weight is a failure to balance a chemical equation, as I see it.

As for being "disgustingly out of style", I never bought high fashion/runway/couture anyway. Straight leg jeans? In 5 years they may not be in style, but they'll not be "hideous." Aside from that, I want to have a personal style that I can use as a guideline throughout my life because it compliments my fit. Someday I will have dad pants and a grandpa coat, but I'll add those little touches that make one a "cool grandpa." That said, that's what I want to do. Others enjoy following the wheeling changes of fashion. God love 'em.

On a final note, who disinherited you? I can't imagine spewing so much vitriol and violence over an internet post.

1 person likes this.
  10. MrOnBicycle

MrOnBicycle Member

I'd say that the way one is brought in regards to food habits is the biggest influence for the future. More than genetics. Which is probably why we are seeing more people of larger size nowadays.

It might be so that the larger amount of exercise that people used to get, combined with the lack of shitty take aways and what not suppressed the genetic predisposition.

11. deepitm

deepitm Senior member

Are you a doctor? I am going to guess no considering your reasoning and lack of solid data. I'm not a doctor either, but my wife is, and she has done substantial research on weight gain/loss/maintenance and it's largely a matter of calorie intake versus calorie usage, with the occasional hormonal issue. For example, there have been numerous studies of people dieting and exercising versus just dieting. People that diet and exercise have the same results as that solely diet. Also, this is largely unrelated to this thread. So let's try to keep it on topic. But if it matters with regard to decisions about what to buy over time, one can expect to put on a pound every other year once you hit your late 20's.
    While this comment may seem douchey, I appreciate the point this guy is making - which is that not everyone correlates wealth and income with their spending decisions. Just because your income level goes up doesn't mean you need to spend a ton more. In fact, a lot of the old money elite would consider this a nouveau riche approach. Personally, I think it natural to increase your spending as you make more, but I'm nouveau riche, so...what do I know. But Doug makes an interesting point to the conversation at hand, albeit a bit in your face.
    Man, no mater what clothes you buy you will never be able to regain your youth, so just accept that and maybe you'll be less grizzled. It's very unbecoming and discourages young people from engaging in the dialogue.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2011
    1 person likes this.
  12. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

how the fuck did this turn into a weight gain issue.

asinine.

13. Amelorn

Amelorn Senior member

Pfft. I come from a family of naturally average to slender. My father's side had good looking people that became fat alcoholics after 25. Here's how I ate in middle and early high school. You tell me if it was "genetics." Breakfast: Snapple Iced Tea. Lunch: Coca Cola. Dinner: Checkers/McDonalds/BK with a large coke and a side of chicken nuggets. Midnight snack: Snapple and something (cereal, toast, sandwich etc). I was doing 1000-1250 calories per day of H. Fructose Corn Syrup. As for Doug 11's millionaire-who-buys-2nd hand, I am inclined to believe him. Most "internet rich" I've encountered use it to justify their superior judgment or simply show off.

2 people like this.
  14. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Senior member

Bringing this back onto topic, shouldn't the question really be about look not price? Regardles of my income, my wife would kill me if I even looked at a $1000 off-the-shelf suit, let alone anything bespoke.

So, I adapt. I've just managed to buy a vintage 1960s British suit (DAKS/ Simpsons of the Strand) for about $60. Don't laugh. Once I get this adjusted to fit me perfectly, which will cost maybe twice as much as the suit itself, I'll be the one laughing. There will be no comparison with buying a crappy contemporary off-the-shelf number. Sure, it won't look bespoke, but it will be the next best thing at about a twentieth of the price. Anyway, time will tell - and I'll post pictures when it's all sorted out.

The reason I post this is that, IMHO of course, style is only party related to price, even with tailoring. Sure, you will get absolute top quality service and fitting if you pay for the best bespoke (and that's $3000+ minimum), but if you can't afford this, and most of us can't, you get better value by being smarter, and that means keeping an eagle-eye out for quality vintage at low prices, and sale suits made from good fabric that can be adjusted by a decent tailor. If you play by these rules, income is less relevent to developing your own style.

15. David Reeves

David Reeves Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Wealth is "supposed" to trickle down.

16. deepitm

deepitm Senior member

Sorry, did not mean any insult and hope it wasn't taken as such as I greatly appreciate doctors. Just meant the argument seemed weak, kinda like your ad hominem arguments in the comment directly above.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2011
  17. deepitm

deepitm Senior member

Back to the some of the original subject matter, I'd be interested in hearing an overall viewpoint (from someone like a financial advisor) on what % of income could/should be spent on clothes, as well as a % that could/should be spent on leisure (as many on SF count clothes as more than just a necessity). Obviously, as many have noted in this discussion so far, this will not translate linearlly once you reach a certain threshold of income.

18. laphroaig

laphroaig Senior member

Suits follow the engagement ring rule. This is a well know fact.

One suit should cost the equivalent of 3 months salary.

2 people like this.
  19. 15DollarMan

15DollarMan Active Member

Once you go past minimum wage it's going to get mighty difficult to even find such suits.

20. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Senior member

I presume you are being sarcastic. At low to moderate salary that's entirely unrealistic, and at high wages, it's unecessary - i.e. you really wouldn't get so much more in moving from a $15,000 suit to a $30,000 suit, except for moving to increasingly exotic (and, ahem, unsuitable) materials.