1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Salary vs Suit prices

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by dingdongbell, Aug 29, 2011.

1. curzon

curzon Senior member

“Curzon understands the cultural nuances of our ti
    I'm reading all of yachtie's comments and am nodding my head in agreement. I surmise he hasn't shopped at Chess King or International Male. Good on ya.

2. academe

academe Senior member

:tounge:

These kinds of threads are cyclical it seems. Every couple of months there seem to be these vigorous debates about what is good "value", what one should spend, what is "classic" style (or, "fashion")... The fault lines predictably appear between those who are "serious" about clothing (i.e. those who have their clothes made or are in the trade, like Yachtie, David and others) and those who are seeking simply to look good. I think there's basically a quantum leap that you make when you go from simply wanting to look good, to being interested in commissioning your own clothing. Until you've made that conceptual leap and found that interest/passion in clothing that (most) custom/bespoke clients have, I don't think there will be ever agreement between the two camps. Like Yachtie, I'm not looking for good value, nor am I trying to look fashionable... The "calculus" I go through when thinking about clothing has less to do with how much I earn, and more to do about the creative process. If I earned less, I would commission fewer garments, but I would not stop simply because custom/bespoke did not appear to provide me with good "value".

Last edited: Sep 2, 2011
  3. academe

academe Senior member

+1

Who reads those fashion rags anyway? I haven't stepped into the men's wear section of the "mall" for years.

4. mlongano

mlongano Senior member

Agree 100%...the suits I had made up in 1985 are no different than the one i have made up today...they are classics and designed to fit my particular body size/shape. I have no interest in what is "fashionable" yesterday, today, or tomorrow. A well made suit in a decent rotation can easily last 30 years or more, making the money spent on one a value proposition.

5. thenanyu

thenanyu Senior member

poast fit plz.

6. mlongano

mlongano Senior member

I'll see if I can find a picture of a few of them...I actually gave away all of them (about thirty) when I semi retired in 1999...thought I would never wear them again but things change including my weight!!

7. nohio

nohio Senior member

This is turning into something I'd expect to find on the FNB forums--bunch of old people bitching without posting any fits. Also: LOL rich people!!!!1!!$!! :rotflmao:

8. hellodocks

hellodocks Senior member

Hahaha, wow. Dominated. :slayer:

9. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

That depends entirely on how often you wear suits. If I had to wear a suit 5 days a week, that singular thousand dollar suit would be worn out in 2 years max. I would also have little variety in my clothing, and people would quickly notice that I'm wearing the same suit day in and day out. Same deal with 2 suits, to a lesser degree. Some people wear suits for fun. Others do so while making a living every day. You buy what makes the most sense for you.
    And thats fine. You love clothes, the individuality of commissioning your own clothing, and the creative process. My love for clothes, like many others I'd assume, stems more from feeling good about wearing clothes that are good quality, fit well, and look good to me. The process behind it is of less importance. But to insinuate that a $500 suit is not acceptable for anyone is frankly ridiculous.

10. Reevolving

Reevolving Senior member

WOW, just wow:

The delusion of the human mind at work:

• Giant lapels
    • Gorge at your chest
    • Padded shoulders
    • Long as fuck
    • Triple Pleats
    • Cuffed pants
    • Baggy as fuck

Yup, you look like a million bucks!
    Keep it up!

11. mlongano

mlongano Senior member

You know, you might want to follow the following advice from Mark Twain:

"Better to keep your mouth closed and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt"

12. academe

academe Senior member

+1

13. Master Squirrel

Master Squirrel Senior member

Any evidence that these were the feature of mlongano's suits? Otherwise it is quite the delusion of the human mind at work.

1 person likes this.
  14. yachtie

yachtie Senior member

:puzzled:

15. thenanyu

thenanyu Senior member

+1

16. Fred49

Fred49 Senior member

I can't believe you are still go at it....:bounce2:

17. projectrtown

projectrtown Active Member

I tried to put the point more delicately than Reevolving, but Yachtie and I got into a similar debate not even 5 posts back.

Suppose we were to grant that your personal style 20 years ago did not follow all these, but are you saying that your suits back then didn't have *any* of these features? That all around you this was considered popular and cool, but even then you saw this look as ugly? That no subset of these features crept into your personal wardrobe? How could the popular taste of the time not exert an influence?

Yachtie assures me this is the case with his own wardrobe. I can't imagine what these suits would look like now or 20 years ago, but I take him at his word.

I knew this entrepreneur who had lived through the ,com era and i asked him if he had believed in the .com valuations based on eyeballs and the frictionless economy and all those other fashions of the late 90s technology boom. He told me that he would have had to be a sociopath not the believe it. That if you are involved in society, of course it would have an influence you.

Now there is a whole bunch of people claiming not to be influenced by what is fashionable. The thing about clothes -- unlike, say, pottery -- is that every walk in the street, read in a magazine, or turning on of the tv exerts some influence.

18. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

My favorite suit was made well before I was born, and I think it still looks great:

[​IMG]

19. mlongano

mlongano Senior member

I understand your questions and comments however... ...I came of age in the late fifties and early sixties. In the fifties and early sixties suits were all pretty much the same and classic by today's standards. Normal sized lapels, cuffs on the pants, pleated trousers, etc. All RTW that I know of back in the fifties were fairly high quality, made in the USA clothes...fully canvassed, high quality wools, etc. This is what I grew up with and this is what I stuck to. I started having my suits custom made in the late seventies and early eighties when you could no longer find the suits I've described. Throughout the eighties and nineties I had about forty or fifty suits made. I wore suits five days per week, sometimes six. But fifty suits in rotation each suit was only worn about five times per year, and when I gave them away in 1999 most looked nearly new. When I started wearing suits again a couple of years ago I found a custom tailor, bought the fabrics from England and continued having the same suit made again. I am happy with the look that I have worn for forty years and don't see a need to change it.

20. Nicola

Nicola Senior member

There are guys who've been wearing 501s since before you were born. Why would you assume the same thing couldn't happen with other pieces of clothing? The idea that people are clay being molded on a daily basis by what the media pushes out is nice in theory. In reality look at most guys over a certain age. They drink the same beer they did in college. They dress the same way they have for years. Odds are they drive the same brand of car. Companies don't spend so much try to hook the young just for kicks. Most people get hooked and stay hooked. Of course look at most guys over say 50 many are still wearing the same suits they bought years ago. If they buy a new one the old ones rarely get thrown out.