• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Saks San Francisco Tailor?

farfisa23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone use their tailor at Saks Men's Shop? I bought a suit there and it needs alterations.

Advice? Comments? Suggestions? Bridge loan for the work to be done on the suit?

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by farfisa23
Anyone use their tailor at Saks Men's Shop? I bought a suit there and it needs alterations.

Advice? Comments? Suggestions? Bridge loan for the work to be done on the suit?

I've never used the Sak's tailor, but Andreas Gorges is only a block away and is possibly the best tailor in SF. His prices aren't bad either.

polar-lemon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rogerm
Stay the hell away from that tailor. They F***** up a suit, a blazer and couple of shirts. Go to Jon Minor on geary and powell.

See, I don't get this...if they really screw something up, it's Saks- they are held responsible and have to replace the item, especially if you push hard enough. However, if a local tailor screws something up, you will rarely receive any sort of equal compensation.

DandySF

Reaction score
I've had Andreas Gorges do some fairly complicated alterations. He recently took in the shoulders on a jacket. The result is very good. I recommend him.

coolpapa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rogerm
Stay the hell away from that tailor. They F***** up a suit, a blazer and couple of shirts. Go to Jon Minor on geary and powell.

+1

Their tailor absolutely butchered a Barbera Sartoriale suit I bought there to the point where my usual tailor, Oxxford Tailor on Post, couldn't fix it. They did give me a refund, but one should expect they could at least do basic alterations correctly. I took the replacement suit to Oxxford to be finished and have never let their tailors touch anything I've bought there that needed to be altered.

southgate house

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DandySF
I've had Andreas Gorges do some fairly complicated alterations. He recently took in the shoulders on a jacket. The result is very good. I recommend him.

+1

UnFacconable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DandySF

Do you mind telling me (PM would be fine) how much he charges to take in the shoulders?

I've also had Andy do fairly complicated pants alterations and been very happy with him. If you are a stickler for getting things back quickly or exactly when promised, he might not be ideal. However, if you are flexible with respect to timing, he's great. His prices have been very reasonable.

farfisa23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I heard Vladimir , I think in the Flood Building is good. Anyone try him?

zeero3

Reaction score
Originally Posted by farfisa23
I heard Vladimir , I think in the Flood Building is good. Anyone try him?

I'm a brand-spanking noob. I went to him w/ my Macy's bought Aboud suit (so take my words w/ a grain of salt). First time to a tailor w/ my first bought suit and I think he took advantage of that. There's a pic of the jacket here somewhere, and it looks fine, but he charged me up the yin-yang.

farfisa23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zeero3
I'm a brand-spanking noob. I went to him w/ my Macy's bought Aboud suit (so take my words w/ a grain of salt). First time to a tailor w/ my first bought suit and I think he took advantage of that. There's a pic of the jacket here somewhere, and it looks fine, but he charged me up the yin-yang.

I heard he is not cheap.

MrFab

Reaction score
yeah, andy is definitely the best. i actually almost never recommend him unless it's to close friends because he's already so busy and i don't want to him to take even longer when i bring something there. i guess the cat's out of the bag here, though

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrFab
yeah, andy is definitely the best. i actually almost never recommend him unless it's to close friends because he's already so busy and i don't want to him to take even longer when i bring something there. i guess the cat's out of the bag here, though

lol8[1].gif
lol8[1].gif
lol8[1].gif

Very true, luckily I know I'm not the first to recommend him on here.

btinl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrFab

What's the typical turnaround time for suit alterations with Andy?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads