• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, youโ€™ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Saks Fifth Avenue label suits

btraub

Reaction score
I picked up a "Saks Fifth Avenue" label suit at saks last weekend on the sale rack from $895 down to $500 down to $400. Does anyone know anything about their private label suits in terms of construction, who makes them, value for your money, etc...? I dont know if I got hosed on what should be a $200 suit that goes for $900 bc it says saks, or if I got a great deal.

A side note to all of this if you care to read on...
The service was absolutely terrible - The salesperson knew nothing about the suit, its construction, etc... other than that the fabric was Zegna Trofeo. She absolutely (an of course incorrectly) insisted this was a Zegna suit. When the tailor came to fit me, he also insisted that this was a Zegna suit, and was telling me what a great deal to get a real Zegna for $400. Whether they were knowingly trying to swindle me or just ignorant I dont know, but I was apalled that they were selling so hard using erroneous information. Rather than have a silly argument with them, I just let the whole thing go and bought the suit because I liked the way it looked, etc... I then called Saks in NYC to ask about it. I was treated like a complete idiot and basically told "how could I question the integrity of an item that saks sells." The person said to me "what did you pay? $200? its a great deal for $1000 suit, just keep it." To which I replied "no i paid $400" him - "oh thats still a great deal, you should just keep it." All the person knew was that the jacket was fused.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After all that you still purchased it?

Well, fit is most important. If you're pleased with it, then that's what matters. Better to have a well fitting suit with decent construction rather than an ill fitting one fully canvassed. You will get other responses that better deals are to be had, especially with non-fused construction, especially if you were to check out the selection at STP. I would have added that a benefit of purchasing at a store rather on line is the ability to work with the salesperson, learn more about the suit, and get to try it on without dealing with ordering multiple suits, styles, and dealing with returns as you would with online purchasing. But since the service at Saks sucked, you only got part of that benefit.

In any event, if you're happy, $400 is not bad, as long as you are aware that you could have gotten around that price (maybe for a little more) a canvassed suit. But there are still unknowns with that comment - like fit, availability, style, and the fabric you want. Pictures of you wearing the suit with alterations would serve well for more helpful opinions.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is it made in England? I had thought that they had changed the labeling of their Hield suits to just have Saks labels. If it's Hield, you got a great deal.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
For a few years recently they had a line of private label suits -- in addition to their other private label suits -- that bore the motif (below the Saks logo) "Hand Tailored in England". Those were made by Cheshire Clothing, and sold at a price point nearly $1000 more than Hield. Allegedly they had more handwork.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

btraub

Reaction score
The only things I have to go by are a label that says "Made in Mexico" and what looks like (to my very untrained eyes) a lot of detail work on the stitching around the lapels, inside and outside pockets, etc... Although done my a machine I am certain, it still looks good (again to my untrained eyes
smile.gif

I have not had any work done on it yet, so I can still return if need be. I am on the fence, hence my call to Saks and my posts here.

Thanks for the info everyone.

Pictures attached...

Attachment 2879

Attachment 2880

Attachment 2882

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by btraub
The only things I have to go by are a label that says "Made in Mexico" and what looks like (to my very untrained eyes) a lot of detail work on the stitching around the lapels, inside and outside pockets, etc... Although done my a machine I am certain, it still looks good (again to my untrained eyes
smile.gif

I have not had any work done on it yet, so I can still return if need be. I am on the fence, hence my call to Saks and my posts here.

Thanks for the info everyone.

Pictures attached...

Attachment 2879

Attachment 2880

Attachment 2882

For $400, you can do alot better at Off5th or even Neiman Marcus Last Call if you have any of those nearby and if you catch a sale. It's obviously your call, but I'd return that suit.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why is the Saks label cut/uncentered and not in the font they now use?

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zjpj83
Why is the Saks label cut/uncentered and not in the font they now use?
Now they do.

Hoya Saxa

Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
Well, fit is most important. If you're pleased with it, then that's what matters. Better to have a well fitting suit with decent construction rather than an ill fitting one fully canvassed.

I'm with Teddy on this one. From what I can see, it looks like a nice suit, the fabric is good quality and you got it at an attractive price. If it fits you well, keep it and wear it in good health.

Cheers,

Hoya

oldseed

Reaction score
show us a pic of u in the suit...

isn't the white stitching supposed to be removed when u buy it?

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by oldseed
show us a pic of u in the suit...

isn't the white stitching supposed to be removed when u buy it?

I think he kept it on in the event he wants to return it. But yes, I don't think he'll keep the stitching on if he goes out with the suit, or leave the label on the bottom of the suit sleeve...well unless he wants to make a fashion statement like many youngsters. Remember people would leave the tags on their Starter gear? I never did that, but that's because I wasn't "cool."

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
I cant stand shopping at Saks. I have never had a positive experience with customer service there.

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Saks is now offshoring its private label suits to Mexico? What the hell is the world coming to...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads