• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Saks Fifth Avenue label suits

Christofuh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, be thankful those suits don't come from some People's Liberation Army run labor camp
devil.gif

Dude, return that thing. You shouldn't have trouble finding a better deal elsewhere
plain.gif

HalfCanvas

Reaction score
Return it unless (1) you need a solid navy suit sometime in the next four or five months AND (2) it fits like a dream OR it fits extremely well and has all of the details you were looking for.

gj555

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whnay.
Saks is now offshoring its private label suits to Mexico? What the hell is the world coming to...

Well, the mighty dollar talks. If someone will pay 900 for a 200 suit all the better for saks. I have a sports coat that is made in mexico. It is fused but not a bad deal for 100 bucks.

As an aside, technically, outsourcing manufacturing to Mexico is considered "nearshoring" and not offshoring since mexico is connected to and right next door to the US.

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gj555
Well, the mighty dollar talks. If someone will pay 900 for a 200 suit all the better for saks. I have a sports coat that is made in mexico. It is fused but not a bad deal for 100 bucks.

As an aside, technically, outsourcing manufacturing to Mexico is considered "nearshoring" and not offshoring since mexico is connected to and right next door to the US.

You don't say?

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Weren't a lot of "Italian Designer suits", like Mani and Andrew Fezza made in Mexico by GFT, the huge Italian conglomerate.

My guess is your suit is similar in quality to a recent Mani(by Giorgio Armani) suit.

It's really a comment on service and knowledge that your Saks salesperson tried to tell you the suit was an Ermenegildo Zegna and not a "Cloth by Zegna suit"!

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll try to answer your original questions.

YOU obviously know that a canvassed suit is "better" than a fused suit. Is your suit fused or canvassed? Try pinching the front of the suit, about 1 inch up from the hem. Do you feel three distinctive pieces (two for the fabric of the suit, and one for the canvas). If you don't feel three pieces and instead feels two, than you likely have a fused suit.

Is a fused suit really that bad? Well, not if the suit fits you well and make you look good. You wear a suit to look good, not to parade around a piece of "handwork". A 100% hand-made bespoke suit that does not fit you, and therefore make you look bad, is not a bargain even if you get it for a discount.

In the end it's up to you. $400 for a canvassed suit that fits you is a steal. $400 for a fused suit that fits you is OK.

Even $1 for a suit that does not fit you, regardless of its construction, is a poor deal.

btraub

Reaction score
Thank you to everyone for the feedback. I will post a pic with me wearing it tomorrow.

In general - does the what I will call "fake hand stitching" come off as fake and tacky or aesthetically pleasing to all of you? These details on the jacket was what I liked most about its look on the rack itself and are what made me pick it up in the first place.

Since it seems to be possible based on everyone's comments - What brands would I generally find in this price range ($400-$600) that are full canvas? I didnt think anything like that was out there.

I liked the fit in the following - I am a very standard build, 42R, 35 waist, about 5'11'', 185 lbs. Most of the suits I try on are either cut A - too big for me with a rise on the pants up my ribs and room for a gut in the jacket or B - too small with a jacket that has no room to move my arms, cloth right into my armpit and low rise flat front pants that sit below the belly and leave no room for a wallet in the front or back pocket.

As far as the label looking kind of off I have absolutely no clue. As far as the white stitching, price tag and fabric tag - rest assured if I keep the suit they will all be promptly removed.

billiebob

Reaction score
I am exactly your dimensions. There are no fully canvassed suits available for 400-600 unless you really put some effort into it.

You can try and find a Corneliani on Sierra Trading Post, but I haven't seen one in a solid color other than black in 42R. The black ones sold for as little as $525 a couple of months ago.
Canali is fully canvassed and can be had on sale from dept stores like Bloomingdales, maybe for 600 a couple of times a year.
You could also go to Century 21 and compete with lots of other people of a common size.
Isaia (Enrico Isaia and Gianluca Isaia) are fully canvassed and occasionally available from STP for 700-800, but typically retail over $2000.

Alternatively, there is fused Polo Ralph Lauren (retail 1200 and up), Ralph Lauren Black Label (very slim), and Gian Luca (retail $1000) on eBay for 350-500 if you're willing to take some risk. These are good suits, and the Polo is easy to try on in a local store before looking on ebay. Sierra trading post sells Gianluca sometimes, and there are a couple of ebay sellers that have them. They are pretty slim on a 42R if you get a 52R euro size.

As far as the visible decorative pick stitching on the lapels, quarters and pockets, it's personal preference. I like it subtle and on the very edge of the fabric.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
And why the hell is the label cut???

Often times outlet merchandise has the label cut so people can't purchase it at a discount, peel the outlet sticker off the retail label, and then try and return it at the main store w/o receipt for an in-store credit.

However, a few sharpie strokes through the original bar code should resolve that problem.

oldseed

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rnoldh
Weren't a lot of "Italian Designer suits", like Mani and Andrew Fezza made in Mexico by GFT, the huge Italian conglomerate.

that may be so, but all my mani suits are made in italy... (and wonderful!)

seed

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
It's coming to Mexico.
No my friend quite the opposite, its coming here....in droves, illegally and without recourse.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by btraub
Since it seems to be possible based on everyone's comments - What brands would I generally find in this price range ($400-$600) that are full canvas?

Keep you eye on the buying and selling forum. You'll see RLPL suits offered for under $600, Ralph Lauren blue label offered for under $400 and other brands (Barbera, Zegna and Dunhill) that are offered under $600.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 16 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.2%

Forum statistics

Threads