• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sake / Nihonshu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any Sake fans here? I must admit that despite living in Japan for over a decade and having consumed hundreds of litres of the stuff, I know very little about Sake.

Yesterday, I was on a bike ride and came across a small Sake factory. According to the owner they are one of very few that still make everything by hand. I bought a bottle and got a tour of the place also. It was tiny and they only produce a small number of bottles every year.

Figuring someone must be a Sake fan...here are some pics:

05052009.jpg

Cordwinder

Reaction score
Love sake. Please not mixed as sake-tini or sake bombs.

Just like wine there are too many varieties to keep track of.

You were you cycling around Nada?

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cordwinder
Love sake. Please not mixed as sake-tini or sake bombs.

Just like wine there are too many varieties to keep track of.

You were you cycling around Nada?

+1.

What I like most about sake is that the flavors are easily recognizable, unlike some spirits where you really have to work to train your palate.

ozymandias

Reaction score
That looks pretty good.

Kei-bon

Reaction score
Alter, i once lived in the same area. have you visited any of the distilleries in Higashi-Nada-ku? i used to go on the weekends for lunch with a flight of sakes. really fun. also, i know a GREAT sake shop near Rokkomichi.

Cordwinder

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alter
Not Nada...west of Akashi. There are some old Shochu and Sake makers around Eigashima. Here is the one in the pics above: http://taiyousyuzou.web.fc2.com/

I was actually looking for a Whisky distillery http://www.ei-sake.jp/all/distillery.html when I came across the Sake place.

I remember someone telling me about a whiskey place in Akashi, this must be it.
They have tours there but I think only by reservations for groups.

Sounds like a great place for a day trip.

There is a sake bar near HDC building near harborland. They had one-cup sakes from around Japan. Great place to sample the sakes from the different regions of Japan.

Spatlese

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Completely off-topic, but Alter, send me some steaks immediately. Kthx.

+1, Kobe from...Kobe

And, I like it, teh sake.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks like fun, and looks like you picked up a rare bottle!

Szeph el raton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like it really a lot. Sad to say that the chances to find nice one is more than limited here. Order directly from an import company is the only way to find something decent.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kei-bon
Alter, i once lived in the same area. have you visited any of the distilleries in Higashi-Nada-ku? i used to go on the weekends for lunch with a flight of sakes. really fun. also, i know a GREAT sake shop near Rokkomichi.
I haven't actually been to the Nada area distilleries but have been planning to go for years. Maybe this summer.
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Completely off-topic, but Alter, send me some steaks immediately. Kthx.
OK...I sent a couple of steaks via Fedex, should arrive tomorrow.
sarcasm.gif
Originally Posted by Cordwinder
I remember someone telling me about a whiskey place in Akashi, this must be it. They have tours there but I think only by reservations for groups. Sounds like a great place for a day trip. There is a sake bar near HDC building near harborland. They had one-cup sakes from around Japan. Great place to sample the sakes from the different regions of Japan.
Yea, it is the only whiskey place around there methinks. I saw on their website that tours should be a minimum of 10 but I figure that a gaijin showing up on a bicycle might be enough to get some sort of tour. i will test this theory out in a couple of weeks.
Originally Posted by Spatlese
+1, Kobe from...Kobe And, I like it, teh sake.
You...I fedexed steaks AND a bottle of Sake...because i like you better than I like Kwilk.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alter
You...I fedexed steaks AND a bottle of Sake...because i like you better than I like Kwilk.

Pffft.... I don't want your crappy rice wine anyway.

Ok I lied. You cut me deep
frown.gif

Kei-bon

Reaction score
Alter, the name of the sake shop is Koaminaka, between Sumiyoshi and Rokkomichi. go there on a weekday and, if you speak some Japanese and you show an interest in sake, they'll give you all sorts of samples. very nice people, and lots of unusual, small-batch sake. i hope it's still there ... and here's a map of the Kobe sakagura: http://homepage3.nifty.com/nobukoba/nextsake.htm

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads