• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

papillo

Reaction score
So, it appears that a couple of days ago Vogue published the FW looks: https://www.vogue.com/fashion-shows/pre-fall-2019/saint-laurent

I just looked through it, and my initial impression is that the collection is absolutely dreadful. I think I might hate it with a passion. I'm surprised by this, though, since I liked a few of the individual items I've been seeing on the ysl site and others, and up until now I've been one of the few people who've liked Vaccarello's work thus far.

All of the men's fits have these cropped trousers, which I'm just not a fan of. He seems to also be going down the high waisted pleated trousers look that Hedi Slimane is doing at Celine. The womenswear looks incredibly trashy to me, and not in a good way. The only thing I kinda like about the fits is the hats, although I struggle to come up with even that.

I'm very curious to hear what others think of this.

Nothing in this collection really appealed to me although i would love to get a better look at the shoes in picture no 35. I have a couple of jeans from Vacarello's time and dont mind them as much as a lot of others ITT.

Does anyone know what these shoes are called and the season/year they were released? They look like a pair of Chelseas that have been chopped off with a sword.

JFoqvBu.jpg

LoMRHvG.jpg

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ha, I don't hate it as much as others, but have pretty much given up on jeans the past couple years with Celine and now the cropped-mania at SL. Oddly, the website merchandise looks better than the Vogue article, but I may be influenced by group think! Someone needs to stop me from buying the neon-yellow Bedford "used" sneakers; I'm 39 and those are screaming my 90s childhood.

needhelp123

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone 5'6" or shorter and wear a peacoat? I'm thinking of getting one but am afraid it will look bad proportion wise cause i'm short

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm 5'6", too, and had to be quite picky with the peacoat. I think mine is from 2016 and was the seasonal version, not the permanent collection, since it was a bit sleeker, with softer wool (can't stand the scratchy ones!) and is cut a touch shorter with higher armholes. In addition, I had it taken up another 1.5" at the boutique in NY. They did an exemplary job.

steveoffice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i think peacoats in general are ideal for shorter guys, and slp's versions aren't longer than the standard kinds.

Bill H

Reaction score
Anyone 5'6" or shorter and wear a peacoat? I'm thinking of getting one but am afraid it will look bad proportion wise cause i'm short

Nah man; Peacoat will work for you... get the FW13 version.. in my opinion this may be my favorite value piece over Hedi's run. The quality is mediocre but the fit is just crazy... and can be had for like 6-800 bucks in good condition.

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good comments. Thinking about it more, peacoat jackets are shorter than Chesterfield coats, are very sleek, dark colors, not a lot of distractions, etc so pretty ideal for the shorter gentleman. They could probably look a bit bad even on the 6'0"+ types.

needhelp123

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hm interesting, i will go try on a peacoat and see how i go

Besides getting it taken up did you alter waist, sleeves, shoulders as well?

Are you guys talking about the Caban coat?

ASAPRice

Reaction score
Peacoats can work on shorter guys, but I think topcoats/ chesters usually look better. At 5'7 I find peacoats to hit at an awkward length where they're not long enough to create a visually streamlined, vertical appearance, but also not short enough to create length in your leg area. Furthermore, when worn unbuttoned, they usually flare out at the bottom, and make a person look wider which is usually the opposite of what I'm looking for. For reference, here's a pic of me in my chester.

vs2T5Ts.jpg

GG Allin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^That is a fantastic. I love the SLP chesterfields. I would go with one of those over the peacoat.

I just received a pair of black suede Dakotas, sizing up a full size from my usual 44 for SLP boots. Unfortunately, I think they're going to have to go back, as the toe box is too snug. I considered for a few moments keeping them, because I like them a lot, and hoping that they would stretch out, but that seems like a bad idea to me.

I'm not sure if I have what is considered a wide foot, but I've never had problems fitting into SLP boots. Are the Vaccarello ones smaller in size in general? Is the last of the Dakota too narrow, even if sized up a full size? Will this particular boot just not work for me? Do you guys think I should try a 45.5?

ASAPRice

Reaction score
haha thanks! That chester isn't actually Saint Laurent, it's Shellac, a super super lowkey Japanese brand. Same designer as Pour Les Hommes. There's a few listings on grailed, but beyond that they don't really exist anywhere. I definitely recommend them if there's something you like though, the jacket is amazing quality. It's lined with a snakeskin silk print that's never really noticeable except on rare occasions, but people love it when they see it.

Also, no idea on the dakotas, I do know people size up on Lukas vs Santiags though, so maybe a 45.5 could work.

needhelp123

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have this and can comment on the fit?

Attachments

• 28056019_1564567623598858_6244164218717081175_n.jpg
    28056019_1564567623598858_6244164218717081175_n.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 171

KawaiiT

Reaction score
Hm, it has been more than 1 week. Anyone know when the sale will start in Germany/Europe? If there even will be one at all.

BigRed

Reaction score
^That is a fantastic. I love the SLP chesterfields. I would go with one of those over the peacoat.

I just received a pair of black suede Dakotas, sizing up a full size from my usual 44 for SLP boots. Unfortunately, I think they're going to have to go back, as the toe box is too snug. I considered for a few moments keeping them, because I like them a lot, and hoping that they would stretch out, but that seems like a bad idea to me.

I'm not sure if I have what is considered a wide foot, but I've never had problems fitting into SLP boots. Are the Vaccarello ones smaller in size in general? Is the last of the Dakota too narrow, even if sized up a full size? Will this particular boot just not work for me? Do you guys think I should try a 45.5?

First off I love that black pair of suede Dakota’s, when I tried them on I had to go up from a 43.5 (Suede Wyatt size) to a 45 for the Dakota’s and I have a very narrow foot.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads