• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Donny - that looks good at a glance to me. Buttons and tag seem to be about as well as the chain. As ASAP said, if you can take closer pictures of the tags and maybe buttons/stitching, we'd be better able to assess. I'd be happy to compare it vis-a-vis my piece from 2015. I have the runway version of that jacket, so a little slimmer and with epaulets. The wool should feel very substantial, extremely warm yet very soft to the touch. Buttons should feel thick and substantial. I wore and still occasionally wear my SL peacoat a ton. It's a great piece and does business to business casual well in my realm. I went with a 44, TTS, and I think the 50 works well for you, especially if you're eschewing the slimmer fit. The sleeves could be raised a touch and tightened a touch, but that's probably a quibble for a $200 eBay find! I don't recall, but I imagine my jacket was around 2K?!

Here are a pic from a little while ago for comparison:
1616241356533.png

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Amazing timing, as I was posting you updated with close ups. Let me take a look at the tags and reply. Serendipity.

donny5

Reaction score
Thanks for your input. Much appreciated. The wool feels very heavy and I can't see a stitch out of place. I think I have a winner. If it is fake it is that good nobody including me would ever notice! And fakes usually have some tell tale sign as obviously the quality will be less. To be fair the guy on ebay has over 100 positive reviews, all in luxury items. Some he sells for close to retail, others if you are lucky in the auction for much less. I think he just buys a lot of good clothes then rarely wears them. Like a LOT! I will get a photo outside as soon as I wear it, better light. Think you are right about the sleeves, will see if it bothers me after a few test drives.

Thanks again mate.

giasty

Reaction score
Hi everybody.
I'm looking for my first leather jacket. I'm visiting forums and brand's websites in order to understand what model should I buy.
A friend of mine sent me two photos of very beautiful leather jackets made by SLP.

Does anybody know the name of these models? Do you think is it possible to find them at sales? I imagine that at full price they cost a kidney :)

Last edited:

RedVelvetWounds

Reaction score
I have that jacket too and it's such an easy go-to in the spring/summer for me. I throw it on often around the house too the fit is so perfect. I don't have the pins so lacks about 90% of your version's pizazz.

I have two denim jackets; One basic Saint Laurent one that I keep clean and a cheaper one that I put patches on and wear to concerts and bars (which means I haven't worn it in over a year).

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thé second leather SLP moto is a grail piece for a lot of folks so if you can find it it’d be awesome but as you know all these jackets are 3k and up so you’re talking about top of the top.

thorns

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1616295866815.png

Using the product code on the tag (394514 Y960J), I found one listing that also shows a peacoat.

1616295944486.png

1616295954346.png

1616295971773.png

I'm not an expert in wool fabrics, but I really hate it when they crease like this. However, I can imagine that, assuming this coat is legit as well, this was Hedi's intention to use this coarse material for authenticity, similar to jackets from a previous era you would find in a thrift shop. I can imagine how it is sturdy and rugged.

Interesting write up about creasing. Water and heat seems to be the culprit. Japan has high humidity, so I can understand why it is creased like that. Seems like creases can be steamed out easily.
What causes clothes to wrinkle, anyway?

Heat and water. Some fabrics *—like wool, nylon, and polyester—have what is known as a glass transition temperature. Below this temperature, the material is in its “glass” phase, with a crystal-like structure holding its individual polymers, long chains of repeating molecules, in place within the fiber. At temperatures above the glass transition threshold, some of the bonds holding these molecules together break. This allows the polymers to shift in relation to one another and form new bonds as they cool down. When the fabric returns to the glass phase—after it’s been taken out of the dryer, for example—the altered structure gets locked in place in the form of wrinkles.

Another mechanism is at work with cellulose-based fabrics—like cotton, linen, and rayon—which can wrinkle if you throw your laundry into a cold wash, enter a wet T-shirt contest, or simply begin to sweat. That’s because these materials are highly absorbent and their polymers are linked by hydrogen bonds—the same bonds that hold together molecules of water. Add moisture to a cotton T-shirt and H2O will penetrate the regions between the long stringy polymers, bringing the fabric into a condition that resembles another material’s plastic phase. As the water evaporates, new hydrogen bonds lock in place any creases that formed when the shirt was wet.

Last edited:

silentownage001

Reaction score
Finally got to wear them out.

Do people tend to topy their Wyatts? Seems like most don't. I was thinking about the heel especially since I usually strike the edge of my heels. I have adjusted my walk a bit with these to avoid dragging them and wearing them down too soon.

It'll be quite some time anyway before I'll need to resole them, but from the little I've heard of people getting theirs resoled it seems it's hard to get the heel the same and it's always slightly off. If that's the case I may topy them down the road.

Attachments

• IMG_2442.jpeg
    IMG_2442.jpeg
    398.4 KB · Views: 86

Adamdraps

Reaction score
Finally got to wear them out.

Do people tend to topy their Wyatts? Seems like most don't. I was thinking about the heel especially since I usually strike the edge of my heels. I have adjusted my walk a bit with these to avoid dragging them and wearing them down too soon.

It'll be quite some time anyway before I'll need to resole them, but from the little I've heard of people getting theirs resoled it seems it's hard to get the heel the same and it's always slightly off. If that's the case I may topy them down the road.

I always wear mine a bit before I get a topy put on them. They are going to sand down the leather before they put it on anyway so you might as well wear them first. I also wouldn't worry about the heel. Just get them resoled before it wears down to the leather you'll be fine. If your cobbler is any good they should have no issue making it look like it never got resoled.

silentownage001

Reaction score
I always wear mine a bit before I get a topy put on them. They are going to sand down the leather before they put it on anyway so you might as well wear them first. I also wouldn't worry about the heel. Just get them resoled before it wears down to the leather you'll be fine. If your cobbler is any good they should have no issue making it look like it never got resoled.

Yep that's the plan. I figured I'd be the one to wear the sole down a bit. It seems the rubber heel holds up pretty well and may not wear down as quickly as I thought. The top lift is probably the easiest thing for a cobbler to replace anyway.

Side question. When do they typically refresh the colors each season? I doubt they will, but if they ever brought back the grey jodhpurs or the brown (sigaro?) zip boots I'd be interested in them.

donny5

Reaction score
First outing for the SLP peacoat ebay find, it is freezing today, 8 degrees with a wind chill and this is VERY cosy, all I have is a t and a thin sweater on so it is passing that test! Loving wearing it too. Have always liked peacoats for how you feel very smart but not too stuffy as you would an epsom or full DB overcoat.
20210322_130132.jpg

20210322_130046.jpg

20210322_130222.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads