• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

GG Allin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I looked through them and the height works really well.

Have you noticed a difference in comfort between the 30 and 40?

Anyway, I'm going with the 41 and if it seems a bit too roomy from the get-go I'll return and get a 40.5.

I wish I had an SLP store nearby. Last time I was near one a few months ago I didn't even think to go look. All I have close to me is Nordstrom and Saks and they don't have them in-store.
The webstore is super easy to return stuff to

Tyfashionisto

Reaction score
Why specifically 2013?
Yes, that is a good question, why searching out the 2013? Do you suspect they changed the cut? The quality of the wool and hardware, etc. in recent seasons seem top notch to me and I can be a stickler. The reason I wonder is 2013 seems kind of long, I'd be sort of weirded out that someone wore it or somehow depreciated in terms of fabric over that timeframe, but I'm not a big used-goods guy.
I heard the way the jacket was cut in 2013/2014 is better compared to 2015-so on. I heard the cut tapers to the body better and also the cuffs? And the later year ones are more "boxy". idk. And also the composition/fabric quality is better in the early versions.

Tyfashionisto

Reaction score
I compare photoes and the later versions,,the cuff areas seem more poofy,a nd the earlier versions they look more taper and narrow. Idk i think you have to look closely.

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ahh - interesting point! Maybe a bit subtle for me, if that is the case, and since we're a similar size, definitely go with the 44. I wouldn't be able to pull off a 42 if it were any more tapered especially if the arms were tighter/higher. Good luck! It's obviously a popular item so there are probably some floating around.

Tyfashionisto

Reaction score
Ahh - interesting point! Maybe a bit subtle for me, if that is the case, and since we're a similar size, definitely go with the 44. I wouldn't be able to pull off a 42 if it were any more tapered especially if the arms were tighter/higher. Good luck! It's obviously a popular item so there are probably some floating around.
Thanks you look great in a 42 but I have a bulkier built. I did bodybuilding in my teenage years. I stopped but the mass is still there haha and also I have a wide shoulder. I’m a 5,7 with a shoulder like a dude that is 6’2 pretty much . But yeah thanks man

zrn

Reaction score
I heard the way the jacket was cut in 2013/2014 is better compared to 2015-so on. I heard the cut tapers to the body better and also the cuffs? And the later year ones are more "boxy". idk. And also the composition/fabric quality is better in the early versions.
They're all boxy, and the quality difference is really nonexistent depending on the season you're comparing to. Bear in mind there were a number of FW13 items which were really mediocre quality.

I'm also not very confident on fw13 and the 14 seasons fitting the same since the L01 and L17 were pretty different those 3 seasons. I honestly would just try a recent season and see if you like it and then return it if not. Of course if you want FW13 for symbolic reasons then thats a different thing altogether and you should definitely search for one.

Last edited:

the_lebowski

Reaction score
I like, it like it a lot even with the dark denim. The fit is spot on, and yes, it'll veer tight/slim with Saint Laurent. ;)

The sleeves could be shortened a touch, maybe a couple cms at the shoulder, so it'd lay a little better on your wrist. That said, I'm more detailed oriented than most people on that front, so unless you're trying to signal hyper dapper you should be good.

Thanks for the input, appreciate it! I do feel there is a bit of room in the shoulder/chest area (and consequently the sleeves are a touch long) but I am not too worried about it because I am working on bulking up slightly anyway.

I had just put it on with the black denim for a fit check btw. Any suggestions for what jeans/pants might pair well with this jacket?

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m curious, I was watching a winter shearling tartan jacket on the ysl website hoping it would hit a sale sometime soon. Looks like they had a full run of sizes as of a few days ago but the jacket is completely pulled from the site as of yesterday and I doubt they sold all of them all of a sudden, and there appears to be a number of winter coats still available. But no ysl images to be found through a Google search. Anyone have an idea what they might do with seasonal wear like this?

Last edited:

REbelGreaser

Reaction score
Today’s shot after mass .
slp l17distress stars
E5939049-3705-4DD3-B5E8-8CC43B4219B0.jpeg
E5939049-3705-4DD3-B5E8-8CC43B4219B0.jpeg
FEBEE2CD-4630-4D34-9902-0B76C370F3F7.jpeg
4F9BB3AA-E18F-4270-8674-F4C3C94AA3A4.jpeg
DF2C6BE2-E0AB-4D86-B485-1BE3225B7334.jpeg

GG Allin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m curious, I was watching a winter shearling tartan jacket on the ysl website hoping it would hit a sale sometime soon. Looks like they had a full run of sizes as of a few days ago but the jacket is completely pulled from the site as of yesterday and I doubt they sold all of them all of a sudden, and there appears to be a number of winter coats still available. But no ysl images to be found through a Google search. Anyone have an idea what they might do with seasonal wear like this?
I would bet that it appears in the sale in June, and/or ends up on yoox

Gooly001

Reaction score
I looked through them and the height works really well.

Have you noticed a difference in comfort between the 30 and 40?

Anyway, I'm going with the 41 and if it seems a bit too roomy from the get-go I'll return and get a 40.5.

I wish I had an SLP store nearby. Last time I was near one a few months ago I didn't even think to go look. All I have close to me is Nordstrom and Saks and they don't have them in-store.
Definitely, 30mm heel is more comfortable then the 40mm but the 40mm is too perfect that the slight uncomfortableness of the higher heel doesn’t matter.

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Picked this up last summer.
The glamorous stuff doesn't get enough appreciation imho, the quality is actually top-notch.
Thanks for the input, appreciate it! I do feel there is a bit of room in the shoulder/chest area (and consequently the sleeves are a touch long) but I am not too worried about it because I am working on bulking up slightly anyway.

I had just put it on with the black denim for a fit check btw. Any suggestions for what jeans/pants might pair well with this jacket?

You're right on with the black denim. That's the one reason I don't wear my indigo SL jean jacket a ton (well the other being that there are no pockets, I suppose that was sacrificed for the super sleek look), it can be a bit tricky to pair with my usual shades of denim.

Maybe a very dark raw indigo denim could work, but of course, there's always the overalls look danger, and I wouldn't do anything light or white denim of course, unless you're on Miami Beach. If you're in college, I know there is always that chino thing going on, so you could probably swing that if they're nicely tapered and tailored so not too flowing with the top.

funkyprez

Reaction score
Definitely, 30mm heel is more comfortable then the 40mm but the 40mm is too perfect that the slight uncomfortableness of the higher heel doesn’t matter.
I would recommend 30mm for him. Being that his starting point is AE, Thursday boots and Greats, I’m guessing the rest of his wardrobe are brands in this same sphere.

Agree that 40mm are the perfect height —once you’ve committed to the SL look. But until then, the 30mm actually is quite versatile across a range of looks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads